a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thompson Encore Rifles

Thompson Encore Rifles

Who has one and how do they like them??

I have a decent shotgun and a 30/06 that is a very good rifle in it's own right. However every once in a while I get an invite to do a little varmint hunting, and In the future I will probably entertain some Antelope hunting with a firearm… I know the 30/06 is a capable rifle for these as well . However there is a little better and flatter shooting as well

What got me thinking is is time to upgrade the Muzzle Loader and the Encore looks nice and just about the same as the Omega as far as capabilities. BUT the option of switching out the barrel for a few of these other "odd ball " adventures appeals to me . It's hard to have a dedicated varmint rifle when you may only varmit hunt a weekend or two every year.. Or perhps Antelope every other. With a new calibers barrel going for 2-3 hundred it seems like an economical way to have what I need on hand when the desire arises

The Single shot does not bother me as MOST of the time it's dead or runs and the break open design only takes a few seconds to reload but I want accuracy and dependability.

So How does everybody like there's?? Any problems.. Do the scopes really hold there -0- like Thompson says they do?? any other quirks?? I hear the hammer springs are considered a little on the weak side for example

I know the Contender seems to be just about the standard in a Hunting Handgun and has MANY devoted fans .. However I don't know much about the rifle

if you like or dont mind the single shot breakdown system, T/C makes good stuff.i would look for a good used 223 bolt gun or price 1 via walmart. you dont have to drop big $ to get a decent smoke pole either.

The greatest!!!

Quite possibly the single greatest break-down rifle ever made!
    I would nit give mine up for nothing!
    Maple stocks, stainless steel and fiber optic sites.
    Depending on the barrel, 6-12X44mm on the .308 heavy barrel
    And a Bushnell elite rifle scope on the .50 barrel.
    VORTEX OPTICS - SEOSC - BOWJUNKIE STRINGS

I have the ML but I am seriously considering ordering the 500 S&W in the Pro Hunter.
    I'm not an inspiration; It's just the situation I'm in and I'm doing my best......

I have a contender rifle in .223 and it works ok but there seems to be a considerable delay in the firing mechanism.
    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - JFK

"Anything in life worth doing, is worth overdoing...Moderation is for cowards." Shane Patton, Lone Survivor

ya...slow locktime isnt good for optimizing accuracy. the Rem 700 trigger has 1 of the quickest locktimes of any production rifle.

I really enjoy my T/C Encore. It has 10 different barrels at the present and 2 more are on order.

.223 Factory barrel
    .22-250 Factory barrel
    .243 Factory barrel
    .308 Winny Factory barrel
    280 Remmy Factory barrel
    25-06 Custom barrel
    257 STW Custom barrel
    45-70 Factory barrel
    375 H&H Factory barrel
    500 S&W custom barrel

50-110 Winny and 470 Nitro custom barrels are on order from MGM.

I love my Encore. Currently I have two factory SS heavy barrels....223 and 25-06. Excellent accuracy. Although I had problems getting 40gr bullets to shoot in the 223....50 and 55's are superb. Planning on a 204 barrel in the near future.
    '03 PSE Thunderbolt @70lbs/28", NAP QuikTune 2100 Drop Away, Cobra King Cobra LT, Easton ST Epic 400's w/blazers, Scott Mongoose, Ultra BowJax, Scorpion string and cable, 105gr Muzzy Phantoms(bleeders removed)

" Awww no cornflake!....ya got it all twisted!! "

"A gun is only a tool, a means to an end....but my bow is a part of my being...it distinguishes me from the ordinary."

I love my Encore. It was dead-nuts accurate at 50 yds. right out of the box with the open sights. 209X50 ML plus 30-06 heavy SS barrel, both carry Leopold VX-II 3-9. Realtree Hardwoods synthetic stock and SS reciever and barrel. Perfect!

Thumbs up I love maine.

I have one with a 30-06 and a .50 caliber muzzleloader barrel and I really love it. It is a joy.
    Bowtech Admiral--Hoyt Vtec

Quote Originally Posted by Tax Lawyer
    I have the ML but I am seriously considering ordering the 500 S&W in the Pro Hunter.
    Paul, I think you will be happy with the Pro Hunter. I am taking mine out for a trigger job tomorrow. It performed exceptionally well out of the box, especially considering that I am used to shooting custom triggers, but that freeplay and heavy pull gotta go.
    1960 Bear Grizzly 48@28"/Spigarelli BB 25" w/ SF Ultimate Pro medium limbs 40# @ 28"/2013 Wes Wallace Mentor 46@ 28"/Dave Miller "Old Mahoning" hybrid longbow 46@ 28"/DAS Dalaa 21" w/SF Premium Carbon 46# @ 28"

I did hear it was around 6lbs out of the box .. I figure I would need a trigger job on it

Lot's of after market barrels avaliable for them as well besides Thompsen Barrels .. Anybody have a Favorite supplier

I got one this year................

Got a new Encore 209x50 this year, just need more time to play with it but I am sure it will get many upgrades and extra barrels in the future.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=403892
    '10 New Breed Genetix- 60lbs. / 28.5" ---> '12 New Breed Eclipse- 65lbs. / 28.5", ---> '15 New Breed _____ ?? - 65lbs/ 28.5"
    '15 Xpedition Xcentric- 70lbs. / 28.5"

Carter's Archery- "Get Crackerized" , Starrflight FOBs- "Fletchings Only Better"

Quote Originally Posted by centerx

Lot's of after market barrels avaliable for them as well besides Thompsen Barrels .. Anybody have a Favorite supplier
    Here are 2 of my favorite custom barrel makers.

http://www.matchgrademachine.com/

http://www.mygunroom.com/dvgunshop/vhbarrels.html

Thanks for the links

I did get to put my hand on a pro hunter tonight.. Thumb hole camo synthetic stock

Nice

I'm getting close!!

The Pro-Hunter barrels will not accept the standard T/C factory forearms. They have different hole spacing. You can only use the forearms made for the Pro-Hunter and the Katahdin barrels.

So ( perhaps a dumb question)

Could you use a Encore barrel and forearm on a Pro Hunter frame??

Anybody who knows anything on Pro hunters or Encores speak up I'm a sponge ..

I want to make this my ONLY purchase for years to come with whatever barrels I need to to what every hunting I get interested in

I have a nice 30/06 and a 45/70 and an older Black Powder Inline

This will DEFINATLY be my new Muzzeloader, Coyote , Antelope and Larger then deer gun when and if I ever go for these species with a firearm. ASAP I will have the Muzzeloader ( and will buy it this way) Long range Varmit ( coyote ) rifle and a turkey barrel ...

Places to buy.. custom work .. talk it up I'm all ears

I chose the Regular Encore vs. the Prohunter.......way too many options out for the Encore, plus I didnt like the way the prohunter stock felt....
    Here is two great places for Encore custom barrels and upgrades-

http://www.bullberry.com/encore.html
    http://www.eabco.com/tcref.html
    '10 New Breed Genetix- 60lbs. / 28.5" ---> '12 New Breed Eclipse- 65lbs. / 28.5", ---> '15 New Breed _____ ?? - 65lbs/ 28.5"
    '15 Xpedition Xcentric- 70lbs. / 28.5"

Carter's Archery- "Get Crackerized" , Starrflight FOBs- "Fletchings Only Better"

In case anybody is interested I was getting a lot of conflicting reports on the Encore and Pro hunter barrel's and there abilities to be swapped out so I called Thompson direct and here is what they told me.

Encore and Pro hunter barrels are 100% interchangeable and use the same forearm. The EXCEPTION to this is the Muzzleloader Barrels. It is pretty common knowledge but they DO take a different forearm from the riffle barrels but those muzzleloader forearms and barrels are also interchangeable from the encore and Pro hunter.

Sweet…

I wonder with there versatility and reported resonably good accuracy why everybody does not have one in there gun safe??

Quote Originally Posted by centerx

Encore and Pro hunter barrels are 100% interchangeable and use the same forearm.
    That's completely opposite of what they told a frind of mine. I'll dig up his e-mail.

Also buy the pistol frame instead of the rifle frame as you cannot but pistol barrels on a rifle frame but you can put rifle barrels on a pistol frame.

Could be it would not be the first time I have had bad Info from the horses mouth

I went to 2 stores yesterday to look at one and the sales people seem real competent with the basics BUT could not answer the questions around barrels

So I said the heck with it I would call. The lady laughed and said there was a lot of confusion around this so she had fielded a lot of questions. She said she was positive and would be more then glad to let me talk with a "tech/engineer" if I liked. ... I figured that was good enough for me..

She also said that 17 hmr AND 22 barrels were avaliable BUT special made for Cabela's and one other retailer that I forget so those were the only outlets for factory barrels in these calibers. I was curious if it would need a diffrent breech assemply and she said she thought not BUT if I was considering one she would want to double check wit the same tech she offered to let me tak with

Cool to know anout the frames. I'm guessing a seperate handgun may be in the works for the future however. I have NO idea if it is possible or even a good idea but a handgun in 17 HMR would be interesting

Just found this to

The TC Prohunter frame is the same as the Encore frame except for the rotating hammer. All Encore and ProHunter barrels, stocks, forearms and scope mounts are interchangeable

On this site

http://www.tjgeneralstore.com/T/cbarrels.htm

I thought part of the point of the TC system is you can go back and forth between rifle, shotgun, muzzleloader, and hand gun. All you need to do is buy a different barrel, forend, grip or barrel. It does not make sense that one frame (the rifle frame) can fit all of the barrles EXCEPT the handgun barrels (ie the shotgun, rifle and muzzleloader barrles will fit on the rifle frame). But ALL the barrels (ie the shotgun, muzzleloader, rifle, and handgun) will fit on the handgun frame. I am no expert and am not laying claims to be, but what is different about the frame for a hand gun and a frame for the rest of them that it will accept all of the other barrels as well as the handgun and the other frame will accept everything EXCEPT the handgun barrels.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by AlleninAlaska
    That's completely opposite of what they told a frind of mine. I'll dig up his e-mail.

Also buy the pistol frame instead of the rifle frame as you cannot but pistol barrels on a rifle frame but you can put rifle barrels on a pistol frame.

? on frames

you can put pistol barrels on rifle frames, The only difference is the rifle frame is made heavier to accomadate the big rifle calibers. Or i wouldn't have bought my encore muzzle loader. There is over 2 hundred barrels for this thing from shotgun, pistol, and rifle.

Just ordered a new barrel from Bullberry yesterday. Great folks to talk too....very knowledgable. My new barrel will be a 22" SS light varmint in 17 Rem w/1 in 10 twist. Gonna be sweet!!!!!!!

By the way, standard Encore forearms will not fit Bullberry barrels. They have a different system of attaching the forearm that kind of freefloats the barrel. So I had to order the forearm as well.....in RT Hardwoods. I'll worry about the matching buttstock later.

SG
    '03 PSE Thunderbolt @70lbs/28", NAP QuikTune 2100 Drop Away, Cobra King Cobra LT, Easton ST Epic 400's w/blazers, Scott Mongoose, Ultra BowJax, Scorpion string and cable, 105gr Muzzy Phantoms(bleeders removed)

" Awww no cornflake!....ya got it all twisted!! "

"A gun is only a tool, a means to an end....but my bow is a part of my being...it distinguishes me from the ordinary."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast