Archery Talk Forum banner

Bareshaft not hitting with Fletched

1K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  Dado 
#1 ·
My bareshafts are hitting 8 inches to the right at 20m of my fletched arrows no matter what I do with the rest. They are fairly level just to the right. I am a left handed shooter.

Is this something I should correct? This was just an experiment last night.

#4 ·
I was wondering about that. I have been playing with the different archery software
Ontarget2 says optimal spine for both target and archery
Archers Advantage says optimal spine
TAPs says weak.

I have room to trim the arrow up to an inch, if I do that
Ontarget2 says slightly stiff
Archers Advantage says slightly stiff
TAPs says optimal

#13 ·
Try checking for cam lean by holding an arrow against the left side of the top cam. It should intersect the string at the d-loop or just below. I would leave the rest set at 13/16" or whatever PSE recommends for center shot, and then tune left/right with the yokes. Only time I would move the rest while bare shaft tuning would be for vertical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
I would yoke tune. If your hunting with it your bh will hit with your bareshafts or in between prob. I would take it and get em to yoke tune. I got my bow retuned Saturday and its night and day. Mine was just a little string stretch and peep had moved. A press is something I HAVE to invest in!

#15 ·
the arrow starts intersecting the string at about an inch above and is completely intersected at the dloop.

I am not big on the local shop anymore. He has a real "close enough" attitude. I have a press picked out for that reason, just need the cash. There is another shop about 2.5 hours away in Cranbrook BC that has a very good reputation, apparently it is a guy named Kevin who was a world champion archer (he has one arm) I really want to take my bow to him for a tune-up.

#17 ·
that small about of cam lean could be the problem. I am shooting a Bear Escape 27"draw 68# I am shooting the bloodsport 350's at 26.5" and my bareshafts are target high, 8" to the right. we have same specs and same arrow with the same problem. i am also left handed. my cam lean is off as well. I cant get them any better without a press. goox to see someone with same specs a d arrow and a lefty. keep us updated and I will do the same. thanks

#18 ·
Is the bareshaft straight or angled nock right or left

If straight you would be tuned and it would be torqueing

For left hand shooter that would be to deep a grip move closer to the thumb on the pad a long dl can also do it. You would turn your head out to anchor and push the string to far left / sending arrows to the right. Which should give a left noc. Also for lh you want the arrow on the right side if the cam. so it sounds like your bows tuned for right hand even though its left. Thats if i remember left hand tuneing correctly.

#21 ·
I had a PSE stinger and was a solid 26.5 inch draw. I tried the decree at the same draw length and found myself kind of pushing my head down and forward at anchor, this lead to inconsistency. I lengthened my draw length half an inch and felt way better and consistent.

But I could have been in error making that change

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

#22 ·
Ok to give you an idea the bareshafts are coming in at an angle. This is at about 8m (only safe place to shoot in my yard) I compensated a bit to make the bareshaft hit with the fletched arrow.

As you can see the bareshaft is very consistent. They are smacking nocks. But they are also coming in at a pretty good angle

#23 ·
Ok I just got back from having my bow worked on by the guy in Cranbrook. Awesome guy.

The bow needed the following things done to bring it into tune:
Cam timing was off, top cam was too fast.
Bottom cam had cam lean do cam lean was added to top cam to compensate.

That got things closer. But the final thing was the arrows were too weak.

In the picture below the bare shaft and the fletched together are 26 inches long and the one off to the side is 27 inches

But broadheads were still not the best, they pulled to the right. But switch to my old trusty flatlines and all problems disappear. Everything hits together.

#25 ·
The actual tuning has been done with proper height targets, the ones on the ground were for picture purposes after either in my yard or down a dirt road. Though the results were very similar so I felt comfortable posting the example pictures

#26 ·
Spine has nothing to do with this.
Your bow must be tuned well. And then you have to experiment with drawlength and proper (forces) alignment. Or, you can just torque the grip intentionally and see if bare shafts hit elsewhere. That will be the case, however, with proper alignment of the body and bow, you should be able to produce level flight without having to deliberately torque the grip in order to shafts to fly well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.