a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missouri Mountain lions

Missouri Mountain lions

On Dec. 12th, MDC Resource Scientist Dave Hamilton and other members of the Mountain Lion Response Team confirmed that the photo captured on December 9th by a Livingston County deer hunter's trail camera was, in fact, that of a mountain lion.
    The photo was taken after bowhunter, Joe Neis, placed his camera on private land in Livingston County north of Chillicothe to monitor deer activity. He told investigators he had no idea the cat was in the area before the trail camera captured its image. The photo shows an apparently healthy mountain lion walking by. The cat has dark spots on the insides of its front legs, indicating it is less than two years old. Hamilton estimated its weight at 110 to 120 pounds.
    The MLRT also completed an investigation on Dec. 12th that has been underway since Thanksgiving, confirming mountain lion presence in Shannon County. "Thanks to the Shannon County agent Brad Hadley, MDC Wildlife Damage Biologist Scott McWilliams and the cooperation of the hunter and his family, we had enough evidence in the way of the deer hide and results from a necropsy, photos and so on to rule out bobcat and to confirm mountain lion," Hamilton reported.
    The Shannon County case developed when a hunter shot a doe late in the evening on Saturday. He decided that it wasn't a clean-killing shot and planned to search for the deer the next morning. He found the deer partially eaten and covered up with leaves and grass–typical of a mountain lion kill-and-feeding pattern. The MLRT's analysis agreed that the wounded doe was actually killed by the mountain lion.
    Another case that developed December 12th in Clark county–the report of a video of a mountain lion that had been widely viewed and accepted as valid–turned out to be just another of a growing number of videos of an ordinary house cat.
    To date, the MLRT has confirmed 10 mountain lion sightings in Missouri since 1994.

Attached Images Attached Images

Kinda makes you think what broke the twig behind you when your walking in/out in the dark

at least this time there was hard evidence to prove it was a mountain lion. it is getting pretty annoying hearing all this krap about people seeing mountian lions.
    Bowtech Invasion
    Scott Little
    Knight Twilight
    octane Stabilizer
    NAP Apache

WOW WEE ! One trail cam pic out of 100,000,000 sightings ( that includes black panthers also ! )

I guess were going to have a mountain lion season next year !

Has to be true I saw it in the internet !

How many freaking threads are they going to start on this ?
    Last edited by Bowfishen Sully; December 15th, 2006 at 07:49 PM.

Luckily this is only the second thread on this exact topic.
    Team 28 - Quiver Sniffers

Yep, those things are everywhere. Heck, if you read the internet chatter, they are behind every tree.

BTW, bobcats will eat dead deer and since they are felines also (last time I checked), they also will cover there food stashes in that manner.

Dan
    "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted." ~~ Jose Ortega y Gasset

Sorry, this was sent to me by a CO friend of mine, I didn't realize this had already been posted. Just thought it was interesting, didn't realize it would cause so much trouble.

I think that is a bobcat look at the short tail and all those spots (haha being sarcastic). Funny how some people can mistake a bobcat for a mountain lion I don't see how they look anything alike.

Wow, I'm surprised some people are bent out of shape about this post. The post is conveying a fact, not hearsay. Just because something is posted on the internet doesn't mean it instantly lacks creditability.

That said, this story has been all over the news around here in central missouri.

Mountain lion season is more likely to happen someday in missouri than it is likely that we'll get to bowfish for mermaids on the lower gasconade.

Excuse my sarcasim but 40+ years of hearing from ever two days a year gun hunter and every 80 year old far sighted farmer about the 10 mountian lions they see every time they step into the woods had strained my sense of humor and all stories like the one posted above do is validate a bunch of nut jobs that call the game warden evertime my neighbors black lab crosses the road to report a black panther loose !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this story has been all over the news around here in central missouri
    Ooooooooooo the network news , why didn't you say so there is a 100% reliable source that never get a story wrong !

Refreash my memory but isn't there some folks that claim to have pictures of Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster ? Well hell I guess all those stories are true too ! Am I the only one who noticed that EVERY trail Cam pic posted on the internet with a mountain lion on it is reported to be from Missouri ? No matter how many aspen and spruce trees , sage and tumble weeds are in the back ground ?

Any of you Mountain Lion wranglers in the market for a bridge ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bowfishen Sully
    all stories like the one posted above do is validate a bunch of nut jobs that call the game warden evertime my neighbors black lab crosses the road to report a black panther loose !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Actually, the ones posted above validate the presence of mountain lions in the state. The MDC actually confirmed the above sightings. Nut jobs are always going to say crazy stuff whether someone sees a real one or not.

check out Fridays KC Star there is an article on this story in there. I guess Sully must work for the MDC because he sounds more and more like them when someone brings up a cat sighting.

Again, guys, I'm sorry I posted this. I honestly didn't realize that it had already been put on here. I recieved it from an agent I know in an email. This guy gets all sorts of calls on stuff like this and is the biggest pessimist on this subject I know. Last year he had a guy very mad at him because he wouldn't call the 2 decaying chows in the ditch beside the road black bears!
    I sent him another email last night saying (jokingly) that this report couldn't be true because he has always maintained there are no lions or bears in Northwest Missouri. Here was his reply.......

"It must not be me! I have always maintained we do not have them in the vast quantities that many people claim. We do have a few (very few) mountain lions. We also have bears, but almost all are in south MO.
    Here's an example:
    South Dakota has an estimated cat pop. of 200. They probably have less than half of the traffic we have in MO, yet they kill 20 per year on their roads.
    Florida has an estimated pop. of 100 cats. They kill about 10-12 per year on the road.
    In Missouri, we have had, lets see.....two roadkilled cats in the last 2006 years? That makes a population of....well, you get my point!
    Have a great weekend, Bro!
    mitch"

I'm not someone who says we have a mountain lion "behind every tree" as the guys who get their panties in a bunch maintain! I'm just think it's cool that we do have a "few" especially since this CONFIRMED one was only about 30 minutes from where I hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by ShootsaHoyt
    Again, guys, I'm sorry I posted this. I honestly didn't realize that it had already been put on here. I recieved it from an agent I know in an email. This guy gets all sorts of calls on stuff like this and is the biggest pessimist on this subject I know. Last year he had a guy very mad at him because he wouldn't call the 2 decaying chows in the ditch beside the road black bears!
    I sent him another email last night saying (jokingly) that this report couldn't be true because he has always maintained there are no lions or bears in Northwest Missouri. Here was his reply.......

"It must not be me! I have always maintained we do not have them in the vast quantities that many people claim. We do have a few (very few) mountain lions. We also have bears, but almost all are in south MO.
    Here's an example:
    South Dakota has an estimated cat pop. of 200. They probably have less than half of the traffic we have in MO, yet they kill 20 per year on their roads.
    Florida has an estimated pop. of 100 cats. They kill about 10-12 per year on the road.
    In Missouri, we have had, lets see.....two roadkilled cats in the last 2006 years? That makes a population of....well, you get my point!
    Have a great weekend, Bro!
    mitch"

I'm not someone who says we have a mountain lion "behind every tree" as the guys who get their panties in a bunch maintain! I'm just think it's cool that we do have a "few" especially since this CONFIRMED one was only about 30 minutes from where I hunt.
    Very good point made there if those states only have cats in the houndreds and they hit that many then I would say Missouri would have in the range of 10 maybe, but probably less. BTW I just saw 3 the other day That cat does look very healthy and I am sure it will help take care of the deer population. That cat is lucky he don't have to worry about seasons he can take one whenever.

ShootsaHoyt

I'd say that your friend has a pretty good grasp on the situation and would agree with what he said. I never said that they were absolutly no Mt lions in Missouri so lets say for argument sake that there are 20 mt lions in the entire state , how many legitinate sightings per year there would be ? Now how many sightings do you think are reported now ?

So some one explain why a big bunch of people are so hell bent on saying they have seen or that Mt lions are living on their property because I don't understand this mind set.

About 20 years ago while out west I picked up a dead porcupine on the side of the road through it in a cooler and brought it back to Missouri. When I got back me and a friend went out about midnight and put it out on the side of the exit ramp to the local walmart SO dead porcupine on the road in Warsaw MO does that mean that there are porcupines in Missouri ABSOLUTELY ( atleast one dead one )

I really do care what any of ya'll believe , I'm just tired of the sillness that is tryed to be passed off as fact

I guess Sully must work for the MDC because he sounds more and more like them when someone brings up a cat sighting.
    Your right kclarry what the hell does the MDC Mountain Lion Response Team really know ! Thanks for making my point

Actually, the ones posted above validate the presence of mountain lions in the state. The MDC actually confirmed the above sightings. Nut jobs are always going to say crazy stuff whether someone sees a real one or not.
    affe22 Your exactly currect so for those keeping score that is CONFERMED SIGHTINGS = 1 NUT JOBS = 100,000,000

hey I have seen one myself with my own two eyes and no I'm not cracked out or high on anything it was when I was hunting up in the northern part of the state and every once in awhile I'll find big paw prints that I am guessing are his cause there are no stray dogs anywhere, My sayin is "ITS BETTER TO BE SAFE THEN IGNORANT" jmo

Make that 100,000,001

Make that 100,000,001
    you crack me up man thats some funny stuff

Quote Originally Posted by sbchunter
    hey I have seen one myself with my own two eyes and no I'm not cracked out or high on anything it was when I was hunting up in the northern part of the state and every once in awhile I'll find big paw prints that I am guessing are his cause there are no stray dogs anywhere, My sayin is "ITS BETTER TO BE SAFE THEN IGNORANT" jmo

If there were no claw marks and they were that big they could possibly be a lion, but cats won't leave claw marks when they are just walking along. Up in northern MO it is funny how many people say they have seen a mountain lion. They see more of them than they do bobcats lol. I personally have never seen anything remotely close animal or track wise to a mountain lion it just comes down to the simple fact that everyone wants to see a lion.

How far away was the cat when you seen it????

it was about 30-40 yards and I know my cats I'v seen bobcats, Wolves, Mountail Lions, Tigers(no not the one at the football games, the king of the jungle) I've seen em all, I mean c'mon do you realy think I dont research before saying things so I dont look like a idiot,and you could probably say well it was just a picture but I've been to a few zoos in my lifetime and I have seen mountain lions and all other kinds of cats hell I seen a albino bobcat.

SoCal - Still American Territory @ this time
    My cousin freaked me out with the closet monster when I was a child and now you guys do it with the chained blue lightning tales.

I need a pillow to bite.

affe22 Your exactly currect so for those keeping score that is CONFERMED SIGHTINGS = 1 NUT JOBS = 100,000,000
    More like confirmed sightings 10, nut jobs 100,000,001

Just because the prints are big doesn't make them a mountain lion.

it was about 30-40 yards and I know my cats I'v seen bobcats, Wolves, Mountail Lions, Tigers(no not the one at the football games, the king of the jungle) I've seen em all, I mean c'mon do you realy think I dont research before saying things so I dont look like a idiot,and you could probably say well it was just a picture but I've been to a few zoos in my lifetime and I have seen mountain lions and all other kinds of cats hell I seen a albino bobcat.

A mountain lion and an albino bobcat that would be something to see. That is all we need a tiger loose in Missouri haha just playing. I apparently don't spend enough time in the woods or am not that good of a hunter because I have yet to see anything out of the ordinary in the past 15 years of hunting.

Excuse my sarcasim but 40+ years of hearing from ever two days a year gun hunter and every 80 year old far sighted farmer about the 10 mountian lions they see every time they step into the woods had strained my sense of humor and all stories like the one posted above do is validate a bunch of nut jobs that call the game warden evertime my neighbors black lab crosses the road to report a black panther loose !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont think I have ever agreed with one single statement more in my life

it seems like everyone in my area has seen a mountian lion but me. they believe mountian lions are killing everyones cattle. they even believe the mdc is stocking them to controll the deer population. evertime someone claims to see one everybody believes them. hell i have a cousin who lives in springfield. he knows knows at least three people who claim they see 5 mountian lions everytime they go to the farm.

there wouldnt be any animals in the state if there are as many mountian lions as everyone caims there is.
    Bowtech Invasion
    Scott Little
    Knight Twilight
    octane Stabilizer
    NAP Apache

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast