Thread: Bowtech TomKat

Bowtech TomKat

I am looking at getting a Bowtech TomKat for my first bow. With all the specs it is hard to know if the bow can be fitted to me. The local Archery shop measured me on two different bows. I had a 27" draw on one and a 29" on the other. I see that it is adjustable from 27-31 but I do not know if there are additional components required for that. Also, I found a used one that states 50-60 lbs but turned down to 45lbs with different modules. Can someone explain that to me.

Sorry to be so dum...just when I think I am getting my ducks in a row, something else pops up.

Thanks
    Greg

How did a shop measure you with a 2 inch difference? That's quite a gap.

On the TomKat, you can change the drawlength by changing out the small black modules on each of the cams. If down the road you want to change the draw length, you'd have to get a different pair of modules from your pro-shop or buy them (ebay, AT, or BowTech). I was quoted $25 for a pair from BowTech.

The draw weight is a ten pound range. I'm not sure how 60 lb. limbs can be turned down to 45 lbs. The manual says two and-a-half turns is the max you can turn it down.

I guess I should have asked first...What year is the TomKat you're looking at?

Bowtech

Quote Originally Posted by Klondike
    How did a shop measure you with a 2 inch difference? That's quite a gap.

On the TomKat, you can change the drawlength by changing out the small black modules on each of the cams. If down the road you want to change the draw length, you'd have to get a different pair of modules from your pro-shop or buy them (ebay, AT, or BowTech). I was quoted $25 for a pair from BowTech.

The draw weight is a ten pound range. I'm not sure how 60 lb. limbs can be turned down to 45 lbs. The manual says two and-a-half turns is the max you can turn it down.

I guess I should have asked first...What year is the TomKat you're looking at?
    It was two different bows and two different draw weights. You answered my basic question though. From what I have read some bows (Martin) can be adjusted with no changing out of parts. I just want to be sure how much something is going to cost me. It is a 2006 with the binary cam system.

Thanks

Thumbs up

That is a great bow for the money, fast, forgiving, amazingly accurate, ssmmooooooth, quiet.

I would buy it, oh yah that's what I did

Good luck

your draw lenght can vary if you don't have a consistant anchor point. They normaly don't check your draw lenght on a "real bow", they use a light fiberglass bow (no cams) , with a contained arrow (gage stick) to determine your draw lenght relative to your ancher point. The Tomkat is an Excellent choice for a first bow, or a second bow,or a hunting bow, or a 3D bow , or a just fun to shoot bow. Have I mentioned it's my favorite bow?

I love my Tomkat, my uncle was shooting an 06' Switchback and after he shot mine he decided to switch to a Tomkat.

First to check your draw length stand tall and put your arms out to the side like a scare crow and measure finger tip to finger tip take that minus 15 inches divide by 2 to get you within 1/2'' of draw. do not strerch your arms but be relaxed. Your draw can't vary 2 inches.

TomKat can be turned down 15 lbs no problem. The Tomkat is a very good bow you can't go wrong with it it is every thing the more expencive Bowtech's are just no bells a whistles but shoots as good as any bow.

Just for the info I am a dealer for Bowtech and Martin in Canada.

Hope this helps.

Grant

Quote Originally Posted by givey
    I am looking at getting a Bowtech TomKat for my first bow. With all the specs it is hard to know if the bow can be fitted to me. The local Archery shop measured me on two different bows. I had a 27" draw on one and a 29" on the other. I see that it is adjustable from 27-31 but I do not know if there are additional components required for that. Also, I found a used one that states 50-60 lbs but turned down to 45lbs with different modules. Can someone explain that to me.

Sorry to be so dum...just when I think I am getting my ducks in a row, something else pops up.

Thanks
    Greg

Just bought one myself.

There seems to be several ways to check draw length. Seems not everyone agrees on the "best" way to do it.

The shop where I bought mine checked my draw length by giving me a standard bow with "very" light poundage. He gave me an arrow that was marked off in inches. Draw to proper form...and he checked his lines on the bow and arrow. There is an adjustable stop on the 06 (two cam) model that can be adjusted with just loosening the screw and moving the stop and retightening. The shop owner came up with a 29-1/4" draw for me. He verified the original setup was for 29" so that was good. He added a trigger pull "D" to the string to add a little more to the draw length.

He made up six arrows and we went out back to shoot. Overall, using the bow was very comfortable, the lightness of the final part of the draw was very comfortable.
    My first 6 shots "EVER"......out of the 6 arrows, 20 yards, all were on target with 3 in the bullseye. He did adjust the sights between the first three and the second three for me, one time.
    Most likely beginners luck...but I still got those 3 in the center. Two were actually touching.

I shoot it at home for the most part...so far with pretty good luck.

One thing to note...I just found out from another shop that I was using the sights like a rifle. Your'e not supposed to....but the stock sight won't let you use it like it should be because the "peep" sight hole is too small to see the "ring" of the front sight. I'm now looking into a better sight system.

But...how ever I did it...I still got those 3...

Have fun with what ever you get. I like the Tomkat myself.

Mike