Archery Talk Forum banner

deer travel and wind

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  spec 
#1 ·
I know this has probably been addressed on here before but I would like to know your thoughts-

I was sitting in my blind last night with a south wind and I had a hard time finding a place where I could set up effectivly south of the deer trail (same day set up DB). I found a spot and got her all brushed in and went to hunting. After 3 hours and didnt see anything it got too dark to hunt. I started to pack it up and as soon as I unzipped the blind a deer just to my right and down wind crashes through the swamp. This deer could not have been more than 10 or 15 yards away down wind!!
Anyway it got me to thinking. if I was a deer and my nose was my greatest tool of survival I would try and travel into the wind and detect anything in front of me before I walked into it. This may explain why I always have deer come in behind me. I try and sit with the wind in my face.
Do you find that deer tend to walk into the wind and if so would it be better to sit with the wind crossing you?
When sitting facing the wind I find deer come in behind me allot. Am I playing the wind wrong?

#2 ·
Deer do not always walk with their face in the wind. Secondly, they use their noses for a lot of things, one being avoiding danger. In your case last evening, the deer had everything figured perfectly. It assessed you not to be any threat and you proved that deer correct.... again!

#3 ·
I find that they use it to their advantage, but not always. I think deer have a one track mind so when they do sense danger that is the first thing they do is go downwind. I sat on a hillside this year and had deer down below me with either a north or south wind. The varying wind changes did not change their movements at all. As people we think to much I believe. Deer can't be downwind all the time in every situation. Danger can come from all 4 sides and downwind is only one direction so they for sure use it, but dont' solely rely on it.

#5 ·
Ya know in all the years i have spent in the woods watching deer movement i have notice that more does will walk w/ the wind in there face vs. bucks. Most of the bucks i have taken have either walked w/ the wind at there backs or w/ crosswinds. I really believe the buck uses the doe as a radar detector for seeking out danger! But i will say this when a buck is in trouble and needs to exit an area hes all wind in his face! Crazy Wolf!

#6 ·
I don't believe they walk into the wind as the norm but, I've noticed when alarmed they prefer to. Also if they're a little spooky when approaching a food plot its not unusual for them to circle around and approach the plot downwind. Have seen them do this over & over again.

#7 ·
crazy wolf said:
Ya know in all the years i have spent in the woods watching deer movement i have notice that more does will walk w/ the wind in there face vs. bucks. Most of the bucks i have taken have either walked w/ the wind at there backs or w/ crosswinds. I really believe the buck uses the doe as a radar detector for seeking out danger! But i will say this when a buck is in trouble and needs to exit an area hes all wind in his face! Crazy Wolf!

Exactly my thoughts as well!

#8 ·
wind

I've been wondering this more and more. Especially this year since I seem to be hunting in the wind more than ever. For some reason I have yet to find a pattern, or maybe I have not noticed it yet. I have been hunting the same group of deer all year and had hoped to pick out some of there patterns, but no luck. No matter the wind direction they seem to come out in a different place from a different direction every time.

#9 ·
you know, we put our scent wicks and stuff out in front of us because that is where we want the deer, but then we hunt facing the wind. Just dosnt make sence to me.
Maybe next year I'm going to do a few hunts facing the wind direction. I practice scent controll like a freak and deer always (8 out of 10 times) come in from behind me.

#10 ·
I have nothing to back this up but my own ideas and observations.

I think sometimes deer will walk with the wind. This way they can see anything in front or to their side and smell danger from behind. I also believe deer may bed this way as well, in certain terrain. I have seen this.

#11 ·
My best twp set-ups are where the deer return to their morning bedding area with the prevailing wind to their backs. It is as perfect a set-up as I will ever stumble onto.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.