a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Rubber Boots????

Rubber Boots????

How many of you wear them when (bow)hunting?

HOw long does it take rubber boots to begin to hold scents and odors? I've always heard about 3 years. What do you think or if you have any facts, let us know????

Also does anyone clean them and with what? What is your routine for caring for them?

Rubber boots

I wear them and they have done me well. I have had a pair for 2 years and they have no odor. I put them in a plastic bag when done hunting and pour some baking soda in them.

Works well JR
    Mathew's Ovation, Trophy Taker, Tekan 2's, RAGE 2 Blade, Doinker, Scott Longhorn 3, Easton Epic 340's, Easton PowerFlight 340's, Scent Blocker, Victory XRingers, Vortex Binos.

YOU are good.......But I've seen BETTER!!

I wear the snake proof knee cableas boots. I think Scentlok makes them. I love them.

Based on the high praise for LaCrosse boots here on AT, I tried and bought a pair of the LaCrosse Burly ATS 1200s. They have an Agion lining for scent-control, but I also put in a Dr. Scholl's Odor-Eaters footpad. With Silvermax socks and liner pants, I feel my scent is pretty well controlled. For the "rubber" smell, folks here suggested to scrub them with baking soda a few times; it seemed to reduce that smell pretty well. Each time out and after the hunt they get a good dose of Fall Blend cover scent; now they smell pretty good...like the woods. By the way, they're also one of the most comfortable and warmest pair of boots I've ever owned; great traction too!
    '08 Mathews DXT...plus lots of other great stuff!!
    “It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up.” V. Lombardi
    "Don't Blink...life goes faster than you think" K.C.
    Member - Maryland Bowhunters Society

I own three pairs of Lacrosse Alpha Burly sports n Unisulated, 1,000 and 1,500 gram. The newest set being 2 years old and the old 4 years old. I've got video of deer walking and standing in my path I had just walked in the 4 year old Lacrosse's. No cover scent on them at all. I do still spray them down from time to time, but the biggest thing with any rubber boot is to keep them dry inside, this meaning sweat or foot odor. The best resolution for this is to dry them everytime after wearing them. For anyone who owns a pair of rubbre boots, I think should own a boot dryer. None of my boots remotely smell of foot odor. Of course I don't wear them to gas stations or anything of that nature, I know there not supposed to hold scent like that, but I'm not willing to find that out. The only other care I give them is stay in my closet during the off season.

I hunt deep woods in East Texas and guide out several guys a year. From a scent control perspective, without a doubt, that is the easiest way at least from first impression to tell a serious bowhunter from a dabbler. If I see canvas/leather boots, I automatically start thinking of my more open or box set ups to put them in, worrying about them blowing scent control next to bedding areas.

Quote Originally Posted by CSS bowhunter
    None of my boots remotely smell of foot odor.
    yeah sure!

How much does a decent semi warm and comfortable rubber boot run these days? Not sure I can afford the LaCrosses.
    Contact me or see my sales threads on predator camo.... etc. all.

On average, about 120.00. Depends on where you get them. I have seen them as low as 89.00 for the 1,500's. To bad I can't post a scratch and sniff for you!

i wear uninsulated Northerner rubber boots. they look just like the lacrosse boots but are what i can buy locally. they work great and i wear them right up until late jan here in Iowa. i keep my boots stored in a rubbermaid container and they only go on and off at the truck.

i try to keep them a neutral scent if possible. if i have a small creek or water source i wash them off everytime i go to my stand. since i have been doing this, i havent had any problems with my trail being busted. i got a little sloppy at the start of the season and wasnt washing them off each time and i had my trail busted. but since i stated washing them off int he creek on my way to my stand i havent had my trail busted.

ive actually had bucks sniff right where i walked and they were not alarmed at all.

Shoot Strong
    Tony
    2010 Hoyt Carbon Matrix, 2005 Hoyt Ultratec.

Quote Originally Posted by CSS bowhunter
    On average, about 120.00. Depends on where you get them. I have seen them as low as 89.00 for the 1,500's. To bad I can't post a scratch and sniff for you!
    Your feet smell just as bad as everyone elses I would bet so stop being a primadonna!

I'm thinking like $75 tops for a 800-1,000 gram. I want something comfy too.
    Contact me or see my sales threads on predator camo.... etc. all.

Rubber Boots All the way

I own 3 pair of rubber boots unisilated for early season, 800 gram, and 1000 gram for late season. My feet stay warmer than ever before and I have had hundreds of deer cross my trail in the past 5 years without them smelling me. I wash mine a couple times a year inside and out with scent free soap and I also use a boot dryer especially if I am hunting two days in a row and this is just to help keep my feet warm. You need to make sure and try to buy the scent free rubber and they still have some odor but it seems to go away after a season or so. I promise you will see more deer and get busted less once you start wearing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy Field
    Your feet smell just as bad as everyone elses I would bet so stop being a primadonna!

I'm thinking like $75 tops for a 800-1,000 gram. I want something comfy too.
    Primadonna my foot, I said my boots Einstien not my feet!

Lacrosse Alpha Burly sports Love them

I wouldn't even think of wearing anything else but rubber boots for serious bowhunting! Store them in a scent free box like a Rubbermaid tote and they'll last for a long time. I have several pairs of LaCrosse and the Alpha Burly Sports are my favs. Cabela's offers their own version which are great products for a slightly cheaper price. BUY 'EM!
    An "archer" tries to see how far away he can get from his target and still connect. A "BOWHUNTER" tries to see how CLOSE he can get to his.

Thumbs up

Alpha burly sport 800's. I had them 2 yrs now and I really love them boots. I'm going to get a pair of Browning 2,000 gram thinsulate ankle fits! sportsman's guide has them for $70.00.

I will not go hunting w/ out rubber boots!

I like the Alpha Burly as well. I do not have the item # anymore but Cabelas had the uninsulated version on sale for $50 back in November if anyone is interested you might try calling their customer service # to see if they still have them on sale.

One thing I do with mine that I think helps on the scent issue and keeping your feet dry day to day when hunting a lot is put the boots on the boot dryer everytime you come in from hunting. A Mr Peet boot dryer is worth it's weight in Gold in my opinion.

Good luck with whatever boot you choose. I have the Muck boot as well and it is good but I like the Alpha Burley more.

I have the Elimatrex system as well but I just have not gave it the chance due to noise but I do feel it is the way to go for true scent control going into and out of your hunting area but a bit of a pain.
    Last edited by GSLAM95; December 22nd, 2006 at 11:53 AM.
    When in doubt, show up early. Think less. Feel more. Ask once. Give thanks often. Expect the best. Appreciate everything. Never give up. Make it fun. Lead. Invent. Regroup. Wink. Chill. Smile. And live as if your success was inevitable, and so it shall be.
    Good Luck hunting to all..

Herman's $60/Poor Man's ScentLok

I got pair of Herman Survivors from Walmart last season and they have been great. There is some kind of scent control advertised as 100% on the tags. Very comfortable and I have watched deer regularly walk all over my trail since October with not a bit of reaction. I do keep them dry and store in a box of cedar branches, and I keep them out of smoke, oil, and use only for hunting. I store all camo and worn gear in tubs with cedar which I call poor man's scentlok.

JK
    ----------------
    Guardian 27/62
    Sword Apex Hunter
    QAD HD Drop Away
    Fuse stabilizer
    Cat Quiver

I always wear rubber boots for bow hunting. I have some uninsulated ones for early season, and some 1000g thinsulate ones for late season. I keep them outside all season at my parents farm, and spray them down each time out with a little scent killer. Seems to work pretty well for me.
    80# 30" Carbon Matrix G3 / Tommy Hogg / LD Micro Elite / Easton A/C/C's 3-71

You can spend less or buy the other brands but spend your money on Lacrosse.

I have a pair of 9 year old burly's, ugly green, look like a drug them down a gravel road, with the foam insulation. I still wear. They are starting to show all the miles I have put on them and some small cracking is showing up but are still 100% waterproof and no odor. Have killed alot of stuff in those boots.

Now the other side: I also have the Ro*(^y that are 1200 thinsulate, camo, air soled butt kickers that are only 3 years old. Cracking bad around the ankle and on top of the foot. I have a friend that works in these types of boots all the time, he told me not to buy the Ro*(^y no matter what the price. I didnt listen. If I get another year out of them i'll be surprised. Also have two other pair that didnt last 3 years either.

Amen on the boot dryer. A must if you are going to wear these two days in a row.

Yeah, I wear them too. Only put on once out of the truck, do the rubber tote thing, all that. They are Lacrosse burley ATS and about 3 years old.

The reason I put this thread up was I had a mature cross my trail only minutes (15 to be exact) after reaching my stand and smelled me enough to stop and back up. I knew I was going to be crossing the trail and didn't brush up against ANYTHING! Scent either fell off of my body or was on those boots. I'm a stickler about scent, maybe not more than anyone but beyond the average.

I wonder if it was that this deer was just that hypersensitive to scent, where other younger deer are not? Or is scent sticking to my boots?

I have....

extrememly thick ankles and NO rubber boots fit my ankles. They are much too tight.
    Does anyone know of a rubber boot that will fit the ankles from godzilla.
    Thanks

Good Huntin'

Joe Lorenti

Quote Originally Posted by JLorenti
    extrememly thick ankles and NO rubber boots fit my ankles. They are much too tight.
    Does anyone know of a rubber boot that will fit the ankles from godzilla.
    Thanks

Good Huntin'

Joe Lorenti
    Have you tried the LaCrosse Alpha Burly's? I am over 300 lbs and i have big calves and ankles and these boots work awesome.
    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - JFK

"Anything in life worth doing, is worth overdoing...Moderation is for cowards." Shane Patton, Lone Survivor

I bought the Rocky BuckStalkers 400gram for $80 and surprisingly they are the most comfortable boots I've ever had. It is also very easy to fit my ankle in and out also.