Archery Talk Forum banner

How to tune a Single Cam

2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  RBYNHD2000 
#1 ·
Actually the question is how do you know when the cam is in the right position? I have heard about some cams over-rotating and under rotating. If there has been any stretch in my cables or string, then the whole setup is not exactly as it was intended. How do you know when things are set properly?

I am shooting a Cybertec with an excel cam with dual track idler(2002 model).

Thanks,
Mike

#2 ·
i am a martin guy but i will try since the hoytes guy have not there is some timeing markes or holes on the cam that you have to keep the string in between now there are some more guy on here that will key in if we take this to the top

runawaysXs

#3 ·
runawayXs,
Thanks, but those tuning marks are used on the cam.5 bows....I did't see any marks on the Excel cam. I did see a couple of marks on the idler wheel, but I'm nut sure that they are tuning reference points.
Can any of you Hoyt guys help??

Thanks,
Mike

#4 ·
The best thing to do with a 1 cam is sell it to the vast nimrod contingent who dont know any better and get a 2 cam or a hybrid. The 2nd best thing you can do is when it is new or go to a pro shop with an exact same new model and take measurements and draw an out line of the cam and bottom limb on a piece of paper to be used as a reference point. The 3rd thing u can do is peak out your bows draw wieght and see how far off you are from spec on a bow scale.If you have a 1 cam that will not come close to spec with the bolts up tight ,you know things arent right.Twisting the cable 1st will probably get it close if things arent too out of whack.

#5 ·
Thanks pig sticker. Selling my bow just because I want to fine tune it is great advice. Finding a 2 year old bow at my local proshop that is perfectly in tune while sitting on the shelf is real likely as well.

I asked a perfectly valid question. This bow has string and cables that were not factory originals and the A to A is a little longer than specs, and the brace height is a little shorter. I'm wondering if I need to tweak it a little.

Hopefully some of the Hoyt shooters who are familiar with the '02 Cybertecs will know how close to specs they should be.

#6 ·
My 02 Ultratec had the Excel cam on it, very nice cam. There are two performance marks on the idler wheel, while looking at the idler wheel from the side the buss cable yoke should be somewhere between the two marks. Here is the link to the 2002 owners manual, look on page 20 it will explains the marks on the idler wheel.

http://www.hoytusa.com/technical/images/2002_Compound_Manual.pdf

#7 ·
:confused:
I do not remember if there was any markings on my 2002 hypertec , but what I did was to check the speed throgh a cronograph while adjusting the cam position , somewhere you have the sweet spot you are looking for. You might be able to figure this out also where the bow shows the least amount of vibration.
PLS , be aware that you do need to adjust peak weight to get comparable results as the bow peak weight will change a lot when you play with the cable. You might also need to readjust your nocking point after.

Question from start , do you have any problems with the bow or are you just curious or want to know? One trick is to mark the cam and check that things have not changed since you shout that 300 x perfect score...:p

By the way - tip - if you have the possibility , try to get an -03 bow with the cam 1½ system instead - it is soooo much better
But of course it can be a lot of money , but maybe they will be trading in some now that the -04:s gets pumped out?

#8 ·
I'm thinking the cables have stretched. I would twist them up till you achieve factory specs for ATA and BH. That should do the trick.

#9 ·
atlasmlc

Bent Arrow is correct they are timing marks. As for your a to a being long and your brace height being short these are common results for a short string. Not really a big deal unless your draw length isn't right.

#10 ·
Thanks Bent,
I saw the marks. They are just so far apart that there's lots of room for adjusting and staying between them. I was hoping that there might be something else more precise. My cable lines up within the marks but just barely.

Sweden,
At some point I will retire this bow and go to something else. It is very likely that it will be a newer hoyt. But this thing really is a nice ride with the excel cam. It is hard for me to imagine a big improvement is even possible with a newer hoyt. I imagine the newer ones are better, but not by much.

Mike

#11 ·
Your welcome.

When I received my UT from the factory I noticed that the cable wasn't in the middle of the marks, it was about 1/8" - 3/16" from one of the marks. The Excel cam shoot great, it takes a little more time to tune than the cam .5, but when you find the sweet spot it will shoot great.

#14 ·
Dave,

That's not funny! :D

You hurt my Mathews feelings! :(

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

#15 ·
LOL a lot and BH where did you get that avatar LOL

#16 ·
I was trying to replay and it disappeared.

try to look at a Mathews Icon, MQ1 or one of the other bows with the staight line cams. They have alignment holes that if parralel with the string are in the optimum position.

For other one cams I would recommend the perimeter weight be just off the string (in towards the riser).

However, that is the beauty of the one cam. If you need to tweak the draw length a little the cam does not have to be perfect. I have shot mine too laid back, too much in to the riser, etc and as long as the bow was paper tuned it shot great.

What I like to do with a new bow is get a bow press, a draw weight scale and a chrono and play. Then I play with my draw length and how fast the bow is or how much draw weight I get when I twist buss cables and string. The most important part of a one cam is getting the draw length comfortable to you.

Once I get the bow like I want it I mark the cams with a pencil where they cross the limbs. I also note the draw weight, arrow speed, and stuff like brace height and a to a. Then if something changes I can get it right back where I want it.

Hopefully this will help you. I guess you are a bad guy now to even the Hoyt shooters since you shoot a solo cam. Feed the younguns to the wolves.

#18 · (Edited)
atlasmlc,
I have a 2002 ultratec with the excel cam and went thru some situations with it until I finally got some good advice from a friend of mine about the orientation of the cam with reference to the control cable. I am posting pics of my idler (note the location of the reference marks) and the cam.note the location of the inner lobe of the cam. It is flush with the control cable. This is where mine shoots best!. Hope this helps!
Darrell

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.