Here's my smoked venison leg roast recipe

Take the leg roast and rub it heavily with the rub:
    sea salt
    garlic powder
    sage
    fresh cracked pepper
    oregano
    crushed bay leaf

(I can't give you exact measurements, because I didn't measure lol!)

Then wrap the entire roast all around with bacon slices and tie it all up with cooking string. Let it set in the frig for a couple hours, then let it rest for about 1/2 hour at room temperature before cooking. Then I slapped it in the smoker at about 250 degrees with some maple wood for smoke, but you could also use the oven with no smoke. I let it slow cook for a few hours, and took it out when the thickest part was 140 degrees on an instant read thermometer for medium rare (it's a sin to cook it longer than that).

While the roast was resting with some foil on it, I made the au jus. I took all the bacon slices off of it, and put them in a saucepan on low-med heat to render more of the fat out of it (don't let it cook too long and get crispy, the bacon should still be rubbery .) I threw in some fresh minced garlic and fresh minced onion and let them sweat for a bit. Then I deglazed the pan with about 1/2 cup red wine (cabernet, not cooking wine), and let it reduce until no longer rosey colored, and then added about 2 cups of good beef stock. Let that reduce for a bit, then squirt in some worchestershire sauce and lemon juice, and some more minced fresh garlic, pepper and salt to taste. Remove the bacon and discard, and then when you carve the roast, take the dried end slices and put them in the bowl of au jus to eat later after they soak up all the jus goodness. I deboned the roast when it was time to carve, then sliced it thin, drizzled on some au jus, and BAM! good dinner.

Sounds like...

... Good Eats!

Nice recipe and instructions - thanks - always wanted to do a smoked leg.

Rob

This is perfect.. I planned on cooking one but didn't have a reciepe.. now I do.. again thanks
    Elite Synergy 70#, Sword Twilight Hunter, Limbdriver, AEP stabilizer
    PSE Nova Team Fitzgerald 27" draw 60# (first bow)

discard bacon?

Good recipe dude I smoke a lot of meat and the smoked bacon is awesome holy cow I cant beleive you discard that.Its against my religion to throw away bacon I'm shocked! Good recipe .