Thread: Newbie .. looking for Archery Ranges in Northern VA

Newbie .. looking for Archery Ranges in Northern VA

Hello all,

Just found this site a couple days ago and it looks like there is a lot of helpful info .. looking forward to spending time on this site.

Any of you all from Northern VA? Im looking for a Pro shop/range to shoot at this winter. Any recomendations.

thanks,
    Greg

2000 Hoyt Havoc

There is a range on Fort Belvoir near DC.
    Here is the link.

also check out the Viriginia Bowhunters Association
    website most of the clubs in virginia are on there

Belvoir Bowhunters is the largest & best club in VA cheap too

Cub Run Archers in Centreville

Prince William Archers in Brentsville near Manassas

Stafford Archery in Stafford

NORVA ARCHERS in Fountainhead Regional Park

TINK

NORVA is the best outdoors range, but Belvoir is the only handy indoors range in the area. The best shop is the one in Manassas. Contact Paul Vogel - he should be in the phone book. I don't have his number, unfortunately.

Yry Hoffman Archery in Gainsville near New Balttimore

Shop is run by D ave a VA Tech Grad and good service Selling MAthews & Parker

Tink

Like rsw said,
    Northern Virginia Archers (NORVA) has the best field range. But I might be partial

I'm the Range Captain and Webmaster for the club.

You'll find contact info on the webpage

Targetnut

Glad to know that Sir
    Your 3-D range is poorly laid out and is way way too long

Norva is nice people but the 3-D Range is the worst, on par with Belvoir which is the worst 3-D range I have ever seen

At-BelvoirBH they have rope to pull yourself up steep hill sides on the 3-D range Bad News Some older shooters cannot walk the 3-D Range

Post Commander Col TW Williams is a bowhunter himself BTW

Tink Nathan
    Former NORVA member
    Belvoir Bowhunter Member
    Former President Cub Run Archers 1967 & 1969
    VBA member since 1964
    Last edited by Africanbowhunter; November 26th, 2003 at 11:29 PM.

Archery Talk member JF from Va. runs a field range near Fredricksburg, VA . You can PM him.

Thank You Tink for your constructive criticism. While you were a member of NORVA, what did you do to help to improve the range?

I'm sorry that our 3D range does not meet your standards. I guess we could make it shorter and flatter if we go in and bulldoze all of the natural terrain features. We also could pack it up when there aren't any shoots so that nobody could have a chance to practice their 3D skills. And just how many other clubs in Northern Virginia have a full 28 target field range?

Targetnut

NORVA has a great 3-D range! It does have a little bit of rough terrain but so do alot of places. Tink I would advise you to go to the IBO Second Leg of the Triple Crown In Gem City (Erie) shoot that course. After that you will know what terrain and long really mean. Norva is one of the more challanging courses in the Northern VA area. If you don't have a challanging place to shoot how do you expect to get better? Back off that dinner plate and you won't have a problem Tink. Belvoir is an easy range. What differance does it make if the post commander is a bowhunter?
    I don't get that? Is that supposed to impress people? Don't forget about Bowe's & Arrows he has a couple lanes. Last but certainly not least is Old Dominion Archery. Shoot me an E-mail and I will hook you up.

Thanks guys!

Ive never been on Belvoir before. I assume you dont have to be military and just tell them you are going to the range?

Im also familiar with Fountainhead Park .. I didnt realize there was a course there. That & Belvoir would be convienent for me given that I work in Stafford and drive down 95 every day.

Nino, Im going to send you an email. Thanks.

Greg

He Greg if you go to Belvoir go thru the main gate the MP's will check your ID there and let you thru. If you ask they will probably even give you directions how to get there.

Greg,
    There is also an indoor range at Bull Run Shooting Center (near Centerville). It's $5.00 to shoot, but it's a very nice range. If you plan to go there it's best to call ahead to make sure they'll be open, as they close early sometimes if there is not any people there to shoot the sporting clays. Their phone # is 703-830-2344.

Targetnut

I am an Arlington, VA resident. I don't necessarily need a range. I just need a place to legally shoot in Arlington. Arlington has a law against shooting a bow on property that is not separated from a public road or neighboring residence if it is less than 100 yards. Anyone have any ideas or know someone? Its hard to make it out to a range and shoot multiple times a week.

Thanks!
    ddeloria

Quote Originally Posted by Ddeloria View Post
    I am an Arlington, VA resident. I don't necessarily need a range. I just need a place to legally shoot in Arlington. Arlington has a law against shooting a bow on property that is not separated from a public road or neighboring residence if it is less than 100 yards. Anyone have any ideas or know someone? Its hard to make it out to a range and shoot multiple times a week.

Thanks!
    ddeloria
    http://www.novaarchers.org/index.html
    http://vbarchers.com/ - List of clubs with some very close by.
    http://vbarchers.com/index.php?optio...etail&loc_id=7 - Cub Run
    "You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
    Know when to walk away and know when to run.
    You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table."
    PSE Phenom, Supra ME, DNA SP
    Stan ShootOff and JustX releases for hunting, foam and paper!

Thanks for the info. I probably should have specified that I am looking for something in Arlington. I literally just need to throw a block out up to 40-50 yards to shoot at. If anyone here shoots in Arlington or falls church......let me know
    - Hoyt Carbon Spyder 30 Realtree Xtra, Trophy Ridge React 5 pin Camo, Hoyt Carbon Edge 6.5", Tightspot, Gold Tip 5575