a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: PA Game Commission proposed 8 more weeks of deer season in WMU 2B

PA Game Commission proposed 8 more weeks of deer season in WMU 2B

I just read this in the Sunday paper. If given the approval this would add six new weeks of archery and an extended after Christmas antlerless season. If approved an antlerless archery season would run September 15-28 followed by the regular either sex Archery season which would run from September 29-November 10. Antlerless Archery hunting could continue through November 24. The Commissioners also proposed a new two week Antlerless Archery season in WMU 2B that would run from December 10-22. The extended after Christmas season would be lengthened to run from December 26-January 26. I am having mixed feelings on this. I like the idea of having more time in the woods but I think our does have had more than enough pressure. What do my fellow 2B hunters think about this? The Commission will be voting on this at their April meeting.

2011 BowTech Invasion 27.5" draw 61lbs
    HHA 5519
    QAD HDX
    Gold Tip 5575 XT's 360g
    288 FPS

I am all for it because 2B is over run with deer. The only down side is the fact that even though we'll be able to hunt doe longer, we'll still be disturbing the bucks. Now, if the PGC would just use their head and allow us to hunt buck during those time frames as well, then there wouldn't be a down side to this at all IMO.

But hey, we still can't hunt on Sunday's, so why would I expect the PGC to do anything that makes sense

I just don't buy doe license anymore haven't for 3 years now .

Quote Originally Posted by PA Dan View Post
    I just read this in the Sunday paper. If given the approval this would add six new weeks of archery and an extended after Christmas antlerless season. If approved an antlerless archery season would run September 15-28 followed by the regular either sex Archery season which would run from September 29-November 10. Antlerless Archery hunting could continue through November 24. The Commissioners also proposed a new two week Antlerless Archery season in WMU 2B that would run from December 10-22. The extended after Christmas season would be lengthened to run from December 26-January 26. I am having mixed feelings on this. I like the idea of having more time in the woods but I think our does have had more than enough pressure. What do my fellow 2B hunters think about this? The Commission will be voting on this at their April meeting.

Go to pg. 5 in this forum, and under the thread, "bowhunting in Allegheny co. parks", is the pgc's answer to targeting much of the urban deer nuisance.

Quote Originally Posted by PA.JAY View Post
    I just don't buy doe license anymore...
    Me either. I have spent two years rifle hunting in north central PA big woods and not seen a deer. Opening day they hardly shot at all where I was. Simply aren't the deer there used to be, in my opinion, on the state ground.

I really don't have an issue with the PA Game Commission lengthening the season (though I'm already sleep deprived with the current seasons and hunting MD each year for a jump start), but I do have an issue with the DCNR / forestry guys issuing bonus doe tags. They manage trees, not what's living around them.

John