Thread: Best area for Mule deer in Utah

Best area for Mule deer in Utah

Looking for information to the best areas in Utah for a DIY hunt with a general OTC tag. Thanks.

I sure would like an answer to this one myself. Anyone care to give a couple of good ole boys a clue?
    Proud Member of Elkoholics Anonymous

Remember, life is just a GAME, so enjoy yourself, have fun, learn to observe, don't take everything so seriously and live each day as if it was your last!

third that!
    its okay if it hurts

Hmmnn, guess no one hunts there.

MY brother lives in Orum and I cant even get an answer to that one

Quote Originally Posted by swackhamer View Post
    MY brother lives in Orum and I cant even get an answer to that one
    You didn't have a falling out did you? I guess even brothers can be secretive. Sort of like holding something over you. I've been there and still see it now and then.

I hope this will help I do not hunt Utah but if I did this how I would go about finding out were to hunt. First I would get the current copy of the record book for Utah and you could get the P@Y record book to. I would look though it and find out what County produced the most record book Bucks. Than I would call the Fish and Game and find out what the Biologist name is for that area get his phone number and e-mail address and contact him. The Biologist should give you some good tips on were to start he will not mark and X on your map you will have to do the leg work. Or you could go though Cabelas TAGS. Blake

Not sure if you guys are looking for trophy quality or just number of bucks. The area I have been hunting has neither, just alot of hunters on quads, back of pickups, front of pickups, even saw a hunter on an old pedal-style motor scooter a few years ago trying to road hunt while balancing his bow on his lap. There arent any deer left in Utah anyway, dont bother.
    31" Mathews Drenalin LD--31" Mathews Ovation
    Posten--Tightspot--Easton--G5

Somebody I love needs a heart,
    I AM AN ORGAN DONOR, ARE YOU?

Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyplumber View Post
    Not sure if you guys are looking for trophy quality or just number of bucks. The area I have been hunting has neither, just alot of hunters on quads, back of pickups, front of pickups, even saw a hunter on an old pedal-style motor scooter a few years ago trying to road hunt while balancing his bow on his lap. There arent any deer left in Utah anyway, dont bother.
    i dont know about that.... Salt Lake City...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    its okay if it hurts

many years ago hunted the national forest area north of Logan Utah for
    mule deer, was unsuccessful but saw a lot of deer. camped at 8oooft. and
    hunted to about 10000ft+. Beautiful country.

Southern areas your best bet(Fishlake, Boulder). For a true trophy you'd want to try the Wasatch Front extended archery season. Lot's of competition, tough conditions but they kill a lot of good bucks.

Feel free to PM me if you want specifics.
    Mathews Switchback - 30"/70lbs
    Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter
    Spot Hogg 7DP
    Gold Tip/Montec G5

I don't believe there are OTC deer tags in Utah and I DO KNOW the draw deadline next week. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by cactus kid View Post
    i dont know about that.... Salt Lake City...
    PHOTOSHOP!!!
    31" Mathews Drenalin LD--31" Mathews Ovation
    Posten--Tightspot--Easton--G5

Somebody I love needs a heart,
    I AM AN ORGAN DONOR, ARE YOU?

Is something up with AT lately? I didn't get a single email about responses to this thread? Striker2, I sent you a pm.
    Proud Member of Elkoholics Anonymous

Remember, life is just a GAME, so enjoy yourself, have fun, learn to observe, don't take everything so seriously and live each day as if it was your last!

Try to get tags for the Book Cliffs or South-eastern Utah (Paunsagaunt).

Great bucks out of both areas, but limited entry.
    "Life is perfect for none of us. Rather than being judgmental and critical of each other, may we have the pure love of Christ for our fellow travelers in this journey through life." Thomas S. Monson

Here is the deal in Utah. There are trophies taken on public land in general season areas every year but they are few and far between. You are far better off building points for one of the limited entry units. Alternativerly, there are CWMU tags that you can purchase from landowners but they are not cheap and frequently there is a waiting list. In any event, nearly all of them only offer guided hunts. If these options don't suit your needs, you are left with hunting private or public lands during the general season. Right now, most of the bowhunters hunt in the southern unit, or on the extended hunt along the Wasatch Front. The extended hunt is long and includes the rut. However, as noted, the competition is fierce and most of the terrain brutal. Big deer are killed every year--I have a cousin who killed a 36" non-typical on this hunt several years ago. There are plenty of general season areas that hold good deer. I know of a few and they were too hard earned to share as you can imagine. Some of the famed Paunsaguant herd migrate into the Paunsaguant and can be found the last week of the general archery season starting the migration. Other than this, a good hunt requires geting a mile or two from any where those damned quad-hunters can get to. The vast majority of bowhunters simply cruise the roads looking for a shot opportunity. Pick an area, do some research on roadless areas and start earning your lumps. There are lots of places where a week's hunt give you shot opportunites at 21/2 year old bucks (typically 17" wide 3pts/4pts) without alot of luck. Predictably getting on the older class deer takes alot of effort because there are simply fewer of them. Alot of guy head straight to highest country to hunt. I think this is frequently a mistake. Lots of deer, including quality deer can be found a mid elevation where the oaks/maples transition into quakies. I've frequently chuckled at the armada of rigs heading to the high country driving past the middle elevations that hold higher numbers of deer. Just something for you to think about as you start earning your lumps. Finally, as noted, there are few if any over the counter tags these days. While not all of the tags may have sold at the lottery that just ended, the vast majority will be gone. Assuming you are a non-resident, you're probably stucking looking forward to next year. Start planning.

Yah,

There 'aint no big deer left in Utah.

This will be my first year in general archery areas for quite a while. I hunted private ranches with a hunting club for years. Used to see all kinds of four points every single day while glassing. One morning I counted 23 four points of 25 inches and better.

Listen, don't let anyone tell you there aren't any big deer left in Utah. What has changed is the really big deer have modified their sleeping habits. Now, most of them are largely nocturnal. The 2's and 3 year olds are like a different species, and if they live much past that they too learn to become vampires.

I hunted the Fishlake and Boulder for years, and there are still lots of big bucks there....But.....They are nowhere to be found until the rut really comes on, and then they appear as if from nowhere. We could hunt the old muzzleloader hunt in Nov. for days until the last couple of the hunt and not see many big deer, then we'd be up to our ears in them....See five, six, up to ten of them a day. Getting a shot was the hard part. There's a little guy's headgear in my shed that I measured for the heck of it yesterday, I'd kind of forgotten about it. 37.5 inches, five on one side, six on the other, beams as large as my wrists. Yikes! Those deer are still there during the archery hunt, you just have to hunt where they are.

Those deer are still there. Elkaddict is exactly right, there are lots of deer in the middle elevations that people drive by every year.

Listen, it just depends on what kind of hunt you want. If you want a tremendous buck over thirty inches....Look in that picture of Salt Lake the one guy said was photoshopped. Not hardly. One of the guys from the archery shop I hang in shot a 27" that was really tall....A tremendous buck....just north of that picture. This was just last year.....Anyway...go almost 25 miles south of that picture, five miles east, and about 6000 feet straight up, and there are bucks just like those during the archery hunt. Those deer in that picture come off of the really high 11000 ft Wasatch range. A friend and his buddies hunted there last year, they were all in their twenties and almost died from the hike up to the hunting area. This is strictly backpack hunting, and you better be in shape.

Same goes for the High Uinta. There are tremendous bucks at the skyline way up there as well that die of old age.

And Elkaddict was right about entering the draws for limited entry, those deer don't have the pressure that general area bucks do, and haven't become quite as nocturnal. There's also more of them per capita. Private land bucks like I used to hunt sometimes get very little pressure during the archery hunt....So they act like completely different deer.

Listen, if you want to find the biggest deer in an area, find a spot where you can glass at first light as the deer move into their bedding areas, which are almost always nightmares to travel in for two legs.....You'll hardly ever see a big buck with the sun shining on his back walking around.....unless he's taking a nap all cozy in his hideaway. The rougher and nastier and steeper the bedding area is, the bigger the buck is likely to be.

Anyway, I'm writing the beginning bowhunting article for this site, and I talk about how you find those big bucks.....And it's not that hard to do, just takes some hard work and doing your homework beforehand. Not many guys want to hunt that way, because it goes against the grain. They'd rather be riding four wheelers and sitting in their trucks, and they very seldom are going to see the big guys. Just isn't going to happen, unless it's a fluke.

Those big deer are still there, you just have to change your methods of hunting them. And it ain't easy pickings, but it can be done.

You definitely won't shoot one if you shoot a two point.

Something to think about.

Ron
    Mathews, Hoyt, Bighorn and Jeffery
    Easton Arrows
    Mule Deer, Elk and Antelope
    Let's go Huntin!

ttt