Archery Talk Forum banner

Is it legal to kill albino deer anywhere?

17K views 31 replies 31 participants last post by  rcmjr 
#1 ·
It's not in WI. I saw a pic of a black deer from MI. I don't even know if it was from a hunter, but it got me thinking. Why are these "mutants" protected? I'll bet they taste just like a deer.

#3 ·
this came up last year on another forum, so i emailed the game dept. here in washington and they said you can shoot legal deer, albinos, piebalds, black...

#5 ·
No restrictions in PA as far as I know. States that don't allow shooting any of them should. The genes that make the deer albinos or piebald are recessive and inferior. Can't see why the game agencies would want to see those genes passed along. The laws still in place are old blue laws that were based on superstition.

#12 ·
The genes that make the deer albinos or piebald are recessive and inferior. Can't see why the game agencies would want to see those genes passed along.
They aren't inferior genes just because they are recessive...that's like saying people with blue eyes have inferior genes....who knows, in 10,000 years during the next ice age, albino might be the superior genotype....:wink:

I say shoot 'em....a deer, is a deer, is a deer, is a deer.

#6 ·
No restrictions that I have ever heard of here in Indiana. I bet your right, I dont know why they would taste any different.

That's one dream of mine, I would love to shoot a piebald whitetail. I would rather shoot a piebald than an albino hands down.

BTG19

#8 ·
You can not shoot them in Oklahoma unless you have written permission from the state department of wildlife. I think it is almost impossible to get

#9 ·
As my2sons posted, not in WI, but you can take a piebald. The WI DNR is way off base on this rule but I think public sentiment is behind this age old law that has no scientific backing to it.

#11 ·
They're protected here in Illinois as well. Piebalds are fair game but the law states that NO ALL WHITE deer may be taken.

#18 ·
My dad was talking to a DNR officer, and I believe he was told that in MN you can harvest any albino animal at any time, in season or not. Apparently they want them out of the herd. Weird thing is, is that every time we go bear hunting up north, we're always reminded it's illegal to shoot white bears. Who knows?

#19 ·
Fair game in Delaware.

#21 ·
i shot a pie-bald spike this year and i am not able to post it due to my lack of re-sizing capabilities.... if someone PM's me about it and knows how to i can send it to you and get a pic of it on here if anyone would like to see it. thanks - AHM

#27 ·
illegal in Iowa

Stupid law. We don't have any deer anyway. Ticks got 'em. Probably just trying to save what few deer we have. Yep nonresidents, IA sucks for deer hunting.:darkbeer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.