Thread: homemade Elk target

homemade Elk target

I'm going to make a homemade elk target by using a projector and projecting the image onto pieces of rubber and cutting it out to be a life size 2-d target. I've done this with other animals but I need to know how big to make it. I've never seen a live elk and I'm not sure how big an elk is. I need to know how tall an elk is to the top of the shoulders? Is a live elk the same size as the mckenzie targets or are they a little bigger. I can't afford to go and purchase a 3-d target so I can make one a lot easier. If anyone knows how big an average bull elk is (from the ground to the top of the shoulders) let me know. thanks tom kruk

NASP high school team coach.8 WV state championships in 9 years. Elite energy 35 in max-1 camo, truball short and sweet release,spot hogg SDP sight, killzone broadheads.

Make the length aprox. 5'-6" & the heigth to the shoulders aprox. 4'6"-5' this is a good estimate to go by. from the belly to the shoulders is aprox. 32''--36"

ElkNut1
    elknut.com
    Vortex Optics Dealer

I've thought abut doing this as well. Pleas post some pics!

-- FLIX

targets

Lets see some pics of some of the ones you have done

I too am interested to see what you come up with. I have always wanted one as well but $ 500 plus! Spray foam where are you!
    Predator Camo!Maverick BlindsHunten OutdoorsVortex Optics

i would love to see pics of the other animals you have done

and the process would be nice

targets

I still have my elk target that I made up. I'll take a picture of it in the morning. I based it on a mckenzie target I measured. A guy told me that an actual elk is bigger than a mckenzie target. The rest of the targets that I made are stored away for the winter. I'll get you pictures of them when it warms up.
    NASP high school team coach.8 WV state championships in 9 years. Elite energy 35 in max-1 camo, truball short and sweet release,spot hogg SDP sight, killzone broadheads.

elk

Here are some pictures of the 2-D elk target I made. It has been up for 2 years and I need to repaint it so it is a little worn. The antlers are made out of a piece of plywood. the body is made out of some old foam that an archery range was throwing away. I made it in pieces. The neck part is a little shot up. But I don't plan on taking any neck shots. I put a third hand bag behind the kill area so it will not shoot thru. The rubber is tough even if you shoot and hit it in the back end it will stop the arrows. I wired the pieces together and they are held up with a metal frame I had laying around in shop class. Again it is not to bad and it did not cost me anything except for the paint. It beats the heck out of the money I'd spend on a mckenzie elk. It is not hard to do. I took a picture of a mckenzie target and copied it on a piece of transparency paper (clear film). I then got some poster board and taped a bunch of it to a wall and put the transparency on an overhead projector and projected it onto the poster board. I would move the projector back and forth until I got the size I wanted and traced it onto the poster board. Cut out the poster board, trace it on the foam and cut it out with a jig saw or a band saw. Wire it together and paint it. I teach school so I have access to all this stuff. I'm sure if you know any teacher they will do the transparancy for you. They may let you come in and us thier projector to make the pattern on poster board. If there is a shop class or vocational class in the town that you live in they will probably cut the elk out for and all you would have to do it provide the material. I've made deer, javelinas,jack rabbits, even a caribou this way. It is pretty simple and it does not look too bad. Most importantly it is CHEAP. I hope you can understand this. if you need to know anything else let me know. take care
    Attached Images Attached Images

Elknut1 described the size just right.

Your target looks good.