DIY target stab build. - Page 2

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 59
  1. #26
    Wow. it looks nice and has good functionality.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Reno, Nevada
    Posts
    342
    Quote Originally Posted by RGV hunter View Post
    Here is my version of this design. I changed it up a bit but it is still similar. I like this better than the hi-tek kit. Thanks for the idea.
    Attachment 5426777
    Is that heat shrink tubing?
    2014 Prime Alloy, QAD HDX rest, Hogg Father single pin sight, John Dudley's Silverback and Carter's Like Mike releases.
    Wish list: Prime One STX 36 40-50# with "C" cam & PCS4/5/6 mod(s)

  4. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #28
    Yes it is heat shrink tubing. Works great. I shot with it today.

    I took a few shots without the stabilizer and noticed that I was off target. I then shot with the stabilizer on it and it made a big difference. I added some weight to the end.

  6. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  7. #29
    Yes it is

  8. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Issaquah Washington
    Posts
    4,683
    I have to say when I first saw this thread I was thinking "Yawn another stabilizer thread" but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised this is the first time I've seen a thread where the arrows were super glued together. Seems like a really inexpensive way to make a very strong light and stiff stabilizer rod. Now if we had a decent sources for end caps that fit all the myriad of arrow sizes we would be golden. Still it is a really cool idea and worth the read. Thanks for sharing!
    NWSpinner,com
    Become a string maker but don't waste your time wrapping your servings by hand check out the NWSpinner!

    Teach a kid archery, you'll be rewarded with a lifetime of smiles!

  9. #31
    This one that I made works really well. It makes a big difference.

  10. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    cheshire , ohio
    Posts
    446
    instead of soldering your bolt in use lead ( old tire weight, sinkers, etc.). Just melt it with a torch & pour it in your cap. You can make weights by doing the same with the lead but use the nut in these caps so you can screw them on the end. make several that are different weights so you can change it out as needed & it will match your stab. Just my 2 cents worth on it.
    REDNECK SHOOTIN` A BOWTECH -- SOMETHINGS GONNA DIE !!!!!!!!!

  11. #33
    That looks amazing! I am going to attempt to make a hunting 8in version. Thinking of filling with silicone for additional weight and vibration damping material. I've done that in my tennis racquet handles before. How did you remove the logos off the shafts?

  12. #34
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by aggietex08 View Post
    That looks amazing! I am going to attempt to make a hunting 8in version. Thinking of filling with silicone for additional weight and vibration damping material. I've done that in my tennis racquet handles before. How did you remove the logos off the shafts?
    Scotchbright works great

    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

  13. #35
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Liverpool, PA
    Posts
    8,051
    Acetone will take the labels off too.
    Elite Pure, VaporTrail Pro V, CE Mach 5, SH Hogg-it, SH Wiseguy, Catfish Customs

  14. #36
    I think they all look fantastic. Function over fashion anyway. Keep us posted if there are any things you would change after using them awhile please!

  15. #37
    This is great info, I'm looking at building a set of stabs for my bow.

  16. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    148
    Can also purchase carbon fiber tubing along with the carbon endcaps already set up with threaded inserts for weights at a fraction of the price of name brands. Only thing needed is cutting and gluing.

  17. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Shady Cove Or.
    Posts
    167
    Where?

  18. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    148
    https://www.rockwestcomposites.com/r...n-tubing/45354

    Thats for the tubing. Also can buy the end caps that the tubing slides into that is threaded. I will try to look them up again when I get some time.

  19. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    148

  20. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    So. IN
    Posts
    366
    Tagged


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  21. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonBaran View Post
    https://www.rockwestcomposites.com/r...n-tubing/45354

    Thats for the tubing. Also can buy the end caps that the tubing slides into that is threaded. I will try to look them up again when I get some time.
    I was looking into these web links. One tube is $59.00. The end caps are $11.00. Just to make one it would cost $81.00 plus shipping. Unless you are going to build several of them, it would not be cost effective. Don't get me wrong, they would look good building one with these carbon products but you will not save money if you are only looking to build just one. When I made mine it was about saving money. Total cost for mine was about $18.00. The most expensive item was the epoxy.
    RGV Hunter
    2016 High Country X12, 80#, 29DL
    2015 PSE Decree Dream Season, 70#, 29"DL
    QAD arrow rest, Victory Arrows.

  22. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by RGV hunter View Post
    I was looking into these web links. One tube is $59.00. The end caps are $11.00. Just to make one it would cost $81.00 plus shipping. Unless you are going to build several of them, it would not be cost effective. Don't get me wrong, they would look good building one with these carbon products but you will not save money if you are only looking to build just one. When I made mine it was about saving money. Total cost for mine was about $18.00. The most expensive item was the epoxy.
    Yes I would agree. Seems the price of the carbon has gone up some. I built a 30,15 set awhile back using them. Ended up costing less than 50 bucks and looked great. Cant post a pic bc bow was stolen. On those I just bought some .75 od x 1" aluminum round stock and drilled and tapped threaded hole in center and epoxyed them in. You could probably use the same endcaps in the thread and buy the correct carbon for it. Still less than 1/2 price of some of these sets.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  23. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    MN.
    Posts
    4,427
    Quote Originally Posted by redneck-archery View Post
    instead of soldering your bolt in use lead ( old tire weight, sinkers, etc.). Just melt it with a torch & pour it in your cap. You can make weights by doing the same with the lead but use the nut in these caps so you can screw them on the end. make several that are different weights so you can change it out as needed & it will match your stab. Just my 2 cents worth on it.
    Not so sure lead is the best choice. I'd use epoxy before lead. Heavy...soft lead...I don't think that head would stay put with lead. Too soft and added weight.

    The lead free solder is tuff and adheres well.

    Since it's been bumped and a few questions...

    I've had zero issues. I crank these things tight...trying to bust that solder or cap loose. I can't. Been no separation of the caps or shafts. Been very pleased.

    I took a well known brand stabilizer of similar length and diameter. It had more flex. These 7 shafts glued together are stiff! Light!

    I can't see how a stab of name brand has anything on this build...besides the weight mounting I used. It is a weak point for obvious reasons. I haven't had any issue...but. I think with a well placed insert or coupling nut epoxied inside that bundle would make these stabs end to end as tough as any name brand. And the rest of the specs match name brands...and in static stiffness...stiffer.

    I was also looking into wraps. Would need a steady hand to work those nooks and crannies. But would give these a custom look...if one was so inclined. I like the flat black copper myself.
    . Target-BOSS Black Ops/CBE pro lite/3x feathervision/proV/Easton X27/custom stabs 27/14
    Hunt-Destroyer 340/HHA-DS5510/ProV/G5 Headlock/FMJ/ ST Mags
    Truball HBX

  24. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Wenty View Post
    Not so sure lead is the best choice. I'd use epoxy before lead. Heavy...soft lead...I don't think that head would stay put with lead. Too soft and added weight.

    The lead free solder is tuff and adheres well.

    Since it's been bumped and a few questions...

    I've had zero issues. I crank these things tight...trying to bust that solder or cap loose. I can't. Been no separation of the caps or shafts. Been very pleased.

    I took a well known brand stabilizer of similar length and diameter. It had more flex. These 7 shafts glued together are stiff! Light!

    I can't see how a stab of name brand has anything on this build...besides the weight mounting I used. It is a weak point for obvious reasons. I haven't had any issue...but. I think with a well placed insert or coupling nut epoxied inside that bundle would make these stabs end to end as tough as any name brand. And the rest of the specs match name brands...and in static stiffness...stiffer.

    I was also looking into wraps. Would need a steady hand to work those nooks and crannies. But would give these a custom look...if one was so inclined. I like the flat black copper myself.
    I agree with this. I made mine similar but didn't use any solder. I just epoxied everything. I then used the heat shrink and it is solid.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    RGV Hunter
    2016 High Country X12, 80#, 29DL
    2015 PSE Decree Dream Season, 70#, 29"DL
    QAD arrow rest, Victory Arrows.

  25. #47
    awesome!!

  26. #48
    These look amazing! I'm setting aside some arrow shafts right now to make my own lol.

  27. #49
    Unless I want to change the look, I will be using this stab for a long time.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    RGV Hunter
    2016 High Country X12, 80#, 29DL
    2015 PSE Decree Dream Season, 70#, 29"DL
    QAD arrow rest, Victory Arrows.

  28. #50
    Here's a few I built from old shafts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170324_165351_1491217699329.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	148.3 KB 
ID:	5766897   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170121_171027_1491217732153.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	5766905  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



 
replycount: 58