Archery Talk Forum banner

Picked up my Vulcan tonight!

871 views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Greg Krause 
#1 ·
I picked up my Vulcan tonight and it rocks. The draw is so smooth and it shoots light out. I actually have it set at 80#'s and it draws like my Trykon at 70#'s. I set it up with a G5 peep, Rip cord, Cobra sidewinder LX and a Hoyt stab. I have a loop, brass nock and the peep on the string. I served up the area where the shock supressor hits the string.
I'm getting some nice speed too. I haven't even played with nocks near the cams. I should get another 6fps or so when i do.
I haven't decided what weight arrow I am gonna shoot yet. I did some playing around though. right now with my Trykon, I am just at 5gpp and getting 290fps with a 370grain arrow. i am happy with that speed. It was quick yet didn't make BH flight tough at all.

here are the numbers for the vulcan.
355grain arrow-321fps= 81#'s KE
370grain arrow-316fps= 82#'s KE
463grain arrow-290fps= 84#'s KE

I think I'm either gonna go with a 400 grain or just keep my speed the same as the Trykon and bump up my KE and momentum with the 463grain arrow. we'll see........

#5 ·
Sounds like you got a great bow there and she seems plenty fast. Good choice of accessories too.

Post some pictures of it if possible.

#11 ·
Shoot the 463 grain arrow. KE is well up there that you can shoot anythign you want, itll give ya a quiter setup, and 290 is still very manageable under unting situations.

#12 ·
I took the grip off and worked up some new arrows for it tonight. She is sighted in and shooting awesome. I much prefer shooting off the riser instead of the grip.
I think my primary arrows are going to be 28.5" CX 400 selects, with 3, 3" duravanes and a 100grain point. they weigh in right at 390grains and fly awesome. they are coming in at 311fps.
The owner of the shop also gave me an arrow, to see if I liked it. A GT Big Game 100 with a 145grain tip. It comes in right around 750grains going at 235fps...........with 91#'s KE. It flys awesome! I can get a sweet deal on a dozen arrows.......I may, just to have around.

#14 ·
I didn't have a chance to get her flight tuned today, I did however sight her in a bit. This bow is very accurate, every bit as good as my trykon I believe. She shoots awesome and will only get better once she is tuned to the new arrows. Here are some pics of what she is doing.
I still haven't got ger right where I want her yet. My groups were just a very little bit low and even with the micro adjust I was overshooting the mark, I'm there but not quite, we'll see after I get her flight tuned.
Here is at 30yds.

Now after I moved my sights.

Those groups were consistant with others I was shooting.

Now I gave up on fine tuning 30yds. I had a chance to shoot my second pin at 50yds before the rain came down hard. here are some pics of 50yds. i will have to fine tune it but it looks like 2 pins for 50yds this year......now what to do with the other 3?

I did move the pin but not enough this time. Here is another group from 50 though.

I can't wait to see what this bow can really do!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.