Custom recurve suggestions - Page 5

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    a chinook will be mine at some point in the future as well. I had one that was way to heavy for me but I knew then it was one awesome bow. if I dont get a used one, mine will also be 58" but mine will be around 40#
    Hoyt Protec
    Mathews Ultra Max
    Little River longbow
    Mission 320 crossbow

2. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

Check out timberhawk bows. Scott makes some fantastic bows. I love my bob lee but timberhawks are awfully nice also.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

my son has purchased two black widow bows and think`s they make the best recurves and longbows .

6. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ChadMR82 View Post
    Check out timberhawk bows. Scott makes some fantastic bows. I love my bob lee but timberhawks are awfully nice also.
    There is really no end to it. So many good bowyers -past and present. During this thread I gathered this many bowyers that grabbed my interest (my interest... it's not even close to a full list):

Black Widow
    Bob Lee
    Blacktail
    Schafer
    Great Plains
    Dale Dye
    Cari bow
    Stalker bows
    Timberhawk
    Wapiti
    Toelke
    Javaman
    Border
    Bighorn
    Dryad
    Foley
    Fedora
    Palmer
    Morrison
    Pronghorn
    Robertson
    Great Northern
    The list goes on and on.
    Compunds: Bowtech RPM 360, Prime Rize, Hoyt Nitrum 30, Horton RDX
    Recurves: Toelke Chinook, Black Widow PSA V, Bob Lee Signature Elite, Great Plains S.R. Swift, Blacktail Elite VL, Border Black Douglas

Member of Hidden Content , NRA

Quote Originally Posted by Pete53 View Post
    my son has purchased two black widow bows and think`s they make the best recurves and longbows .
    They truly do. I was at one point debating between the Black Widow PSR and the reintroduction Bear 59 Kodiak and Toelke. Found a PSR at the Stickbow classifieds but that turned out to be a scammer selling a $1200 bow for $400 -which turned out that he stole images of a psr that was on sale here and posting them in the stickbow classifieds. When it's too good to be true, generally it is. Besides, I liked the fact that Dan made this bow specific to fit in my hand. It doesn't get better than that.
    Recurves: Toelke Chinook, Black Widow PSA V, Bob Lee Signature Elite, Great Plains S.R. Swift, Blacktail Elite VL, Border Black Douglas

We can check the Border Black Douglas out of the list as well. After making an artful deal, I managed to acquire a used one from a member of this site this morning. I should receive it before the weekend.

One thing I realized while hoarding these wooden sticks: They hold their value much better than firearms or sometimes even gold. Especially when you buy a used custom bow from any of the brands we've been talking about, you are almost certain to get your money back if not make a couple of buck on top. Seriously, it wouldn't be a stretch to list a Bob Lee Signature Elite in excellent condition in these forums for $750. Am I right?

Blacktail, checked.

I took the Chinook to the league this Tuesday, and bunch of guys shot it and they shot it really good (some better than me. Unacceptable!). The Axis Traditionals fly excellent with this bow.

Quote Originally Posted by Edizkan View Post
    Blacktail, checked.
    Damn dude, you move fast. Congrats on another fine bow
    Hunt/target: Bowtech Insanity, MBG accent w/ vengeance head and dovetail, limb driver, Paradigm carbon hammer and QD, Black eagle
    trad: tradtech titan II w/ blackmax carbon extreme limbs , Hunterbows 3 piece hybrid longbow

Blacktail, checked.
    You are cutting a swath through the classifieds, good for you!

Blacktail, checked.
    You may need an intervention.

Quote Originally Posted by sawtoothscream View Post
    Damn dude, you move fast. Congrats on another fine bow
    Thanks. The collection is coming to a completion (for now)...

Quote Originally Posted by Easykeeper View Post
    You are cutting a swath through the classifieds, good for you!
    I have couple of items that I constantly check. I have lost some good deals in the past,now I am acting as quick as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Yooper-travler View Post
    You may need an intervention.
    Nah! I'm replacing one addiction with another. A hint: One German WW2 Mauser I sold to the local store was enough to cover a high end custom bow. This is my testing period to see what I really like and would like to keep. You may end up seeing at least half of these bows back here for sale.

Nah! I'm replacing one addiction with another. A hint: One German WW2 Mauser I sold to the local store was enough to cover a high end custom bow. This is my testing period to see what I really like and would like to keep. You may end up seeing at least half of these bows back here for sale.
    Oh I'm counting on that my friend!

I've been there an done that with used bows. I found out two main things, there are lots of really nice bows out there and that a few of them really resonate with me. It's a fun thing to do and not very expensive if you do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Easykeeper View Post
    I've been there an done that with used bows. I found out two main things, there are lots of really nice bows out there and that a few of them really resonate with me. It's a fun thing to do and not very expensive if you do it right.

Exactly. Now, I only need to get my hands on a good Schafer Silvertip. I found one on another site (the scammer paradise), but it was 62# and had a name on it. I don't mind 62# for myself but not for a bow I'm trying out for the first time in case I decide to turn around and sell it.

PS. There is little to no difference in pull stack between 50# and 60# limbs on a Great Plains S.R Swift recurve. Now that's pretty impressive. I can feel there is a difference in the arrow flight and impact but not in draw.

Congrats on the Toelke Chinook, some fine looking craftsmanship there.

I have been on the fence between one of Dans' Whips or a Stalker Dingo FXT as my next 1pc Lonbow, seeing your Chinnok & the workmanship makes it even harder to decide now..
    Roberston Stykbow Peregrine Falcon #65@29"
    Zipper ZSR Longbow #55@28"
    '15 Prime Alloy #60 - Optifade Open - R.I.P.
    '16 Hoyt Defiant 30 #65 - Black Out - Traded
    '16 Hoyt Carbon Defiant 34 - Harvest Brown - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by ShrtRnd View Post

I have been on the fence between one of Dans' Whips or a Stalker Dingo FXT as my next 1pc Lonbow, seeing your Chinnok & the workmanship makes it even harder to decide now..

My whip should be done in a week. I went with the 2 piece option. You can't go wrong with either choice.

Quote Originally Posted by ShrtRnd View Post

Since I don't have a Stalker (for now.. lol) I can not compare the two. As far as the whole experience goes, Dan is the man. I suggest you to give him a call. He is very helpful.

Now that I acquired bunch of them, I am getting a sense and it's not what I was expecting. I'm going to leave the Toelke Chinook out of the comparison since it's a 50s style, one piece recurve that is built specifically for me. I promised to post some technical information, but I need to put together the correct equipment and arrows. The below is purely how I feel about each bow and how they perform for me.

Black Widow PSA V. 60" 49#@28" -> I have always wanted one and now that I have it, it's staying in the family. The bow shoots excellent. It improved my 3d league score by 100 points. Very quite and vibration free. Very smooth draw. I believe the reverse limb pockets give this bow the extra brace height that helps with the forgiveness. I contacted Black Widow prior to buying this bow and their customer service is excellent. Very helpful folk.

Bob Lee Signature Elite 62" 55# -> This is a weird one. It's overall the best bow I ever owned. It improved my shooting even better than the Black Widow. I love a heavy weighing bow, and this is the heaviest I have (physical weight, not the draw weight). One thing I find very uncomfortable is the grip -it's a bulky grip, but I don't think it matters after seeing how I shoot it. People in the range are already making offers to buy it. Not anytime soon

Great Plains S.R. Swift Cazador 58" 50# & 60# -> I have to admit, this is one of the nicest looking bows I ever owned. The cocobolo and Honduras rosewood are a delightful combination. As I mentioned earlier, I didn't feel too much difference when pulling either the 50 or the 60# limbs. When stringing them yes, the 60# takes an extra Ughh, but not bad at all. The bow is fast. At first it had some vibration, but I ordered a 14 strand flemish twist string and made my own puffs with yarn I stole from my wife's stash. After that, the vibration was totally gone. I haven't taken this bow to 3D league yet, but will soon.

Border Black Douglas 62" 55# -> I just received this bow and I am not sure if it was setup correct. The string it came with looked too long (62 inches) and I felt strong hand shock after the shot. I wrote to Sid at Border archery and he confirmed my suspicion. The string needs to be 59" for the 62" bow, 14 strand (preferably fast flite plus) and 7" - 7.5" brace height (lower better). I just ordered a flemish twist string with those specs and I shall know better. But even with the setup it came with, I blew up a nock already. The bow groups really fine. Sid also suggested me to consider getting the newer Hex 6.7 limbs. I am pretty sure the new string will suffice.

Blacktail Elite VL 60" 53# -> Stuck in the post office due to Presidents Day. I'll come back to this one once I receive the bow.

I think this is all for now, unless a Silvertip comes along the way. I just saw one for sale on eBay, drop dead gorgeous, but it's asking price is $1800. I'm not sure if the seller realizes that is too high for a pre-owned bow. I know bunch of high-end custom exotic wood bows sitting in people's inventory for $1250 with 2 sets of limbs. Let me know if you guys have a Schafer Silvertip you may consider aparting or even trading.

Update: Shot Great Plains in the traditional only league last night. Scored my second highest, right after Bob Lee. To put it in perspective about this "scoring", I have never shot these bows before. I've been taking each bow for the last couple of weeks for the first time to the range. I score the 3rd or 4th best among 12 or so shooters. And I hand my bows to other shooters to hear what they think about them. Great Plains proved to be one smooth and dead on shooter. Everybody loved the grip of the bow.

Picked up the Blacktail Elite yesterday as well and boy-o-boy. What a beautiful bow. Guys in Blacktail do know how to make a bow. It's got Bubinga and Rosewood riser with birdseye maple limbs and accents. Bow is fast and dead in hand, pretty much like the other bows. I believe it stacks a little harder and I assume it's the long 19" riser and short limbs that gives overall 60" amo to the bow. I realized a 19" riser shoots better with 62" or longer limb setup while a 15-16" riser shoots great at 58 and 60 inches.

Guys at the range didn't have a favorable or negative opinion between the two bows (GP and Blacktail). They liked them equally. Next week I will be taking the Border to the league.

PS. I got an ultimatum from the wife. I'm forbidden to sell the Blacktail. Hahaha...

PS. I got an ultimatum from the wife. I'm forbidden to sell the Blacktail. Hahaha...
    OK, lets see some pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Yooper-travler View Post
    OK, lets see some pictures.
    As you wish...

20170222_135735.jpg20170222_135238_HDR.jpg20170222_135252_HDR.jpg20170222_135351.jpg20170222_135650.jpg

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast