Custom recurve suggestions - Page 7

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    I'm glad I recorded these. I can see all my mistakes and times I shot good. Seems like I fail a lot on the follow through's with my right hand and sometimes I drop my bow hand too quick. I'm also going to change my arrows to Easton traditional. They shot very good with my bows.

I don't have videos of Black Widow, Border and Blacktail today. The string I had with Black Widow was sticking on the limbs and making all kinds of vibrating sounds. It wouldn't be fair to the bow to record it. Blacktail is on sale so I it's wrapped and stored away and still waiting for Border's string to arrive.
    Compunds: Bowtech RPM 360, Hoyt Nitrum 30, Horton RDX
    Recurves: Toelke Chinook, Black Widow PSA V, Great Plains S.R. Swift, Blacktail Elite VL, Bob Lee Elite Bicentennial

Member of Hidden Content , NRA

2. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Edizkan View Post
    I'm glad I recorded these. I can see all my mistakes and times I shot good. Seems like I fail a lot on the follow through's with my right hand and sometimes I drop my bow hand too quick. I'm also going to change my arrows to Easton traditional. They shot very good with my bows.

I don't have videos of Black Widow, Border and Blacktail today. The string I had with Black Widow was sticking on the limbs and making all kinds of vibrating sounds. It wouldn't be fair to the bow to record it. Blacktail is on sale so I it's wrapped and stored away and still waiting for Border's string to arrive.
    Nice shooting. The toelke is looking good. Too much snow here to shoot in my yard. What's wrong with the widow string?

4. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Yooper-travler View Post
    Nice shooting. The toelke is looking good. Too much snow here to shoot in my yard. What's wrong with the widow string?
    There is some wax material on the loop that has been sticking on the limbs. When I pull the bow, it sounds like limbs are cracking while it's the sticky wax making the sound. I cleaned it once and the sound was gone, but it came back again.
    Recurves: Toelke Chinook, Black Widow PSA V, Great Plains S.R. Swift, Blacktail Elite VL, Bob Lee Elite Bicentennial

6. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

I would also recommend buying with the option to return.
    I've been burnt that way more times than I want to think about.
    I say that because my Samick Sage shoots better than some custom bows I've had ir shot.

Quote Originally Posted by TGbow View Post
    I would also recommend buying with the option to return.
    I've been burnt that way more times than I want to think about.
    I say that because my Samick Sage shoots better than some custom bows I've had ir shot.
    With a new bow that may be the case but all the bows I have with the exception of the Chinook are preowned, so the return option is not there. However, with preowned custom bows you loose little to none when you resell it.

There is some wax material on the loop that has been sticking on the limbs. When I pull the bow, it sounds like limbs are cracking while it's the sticky wax making the sound. I cleaned it once and the sound was gone, but it came back again.
    Your widow is just being jealous of the other ladies in your stable. Keep shooting her and it will quiet down. There is a price to pay for owning some many lovelies.

Border update: I took the Black Douglas to the 3D league this week with the new string and scored my personal highest, moving up to the 2nd place in the league. That was a pleasant surprise.

So this is how I did in the league with my bows:
    1st - Border Black Douglas - 426 points
    2nd - Bob Lee - 401 points
    3rd - Great Plains - 388 points
    4th - Toelke Chinook - 356 points
    5th - Black Widow PSA - 348 points
    Didn't shoot with the Blacktail in the league.

Next week I am going backwards with these bows, because the scores also reflect from the last to the first bow I shot in the league. First bow was Black Widow (lowest score), then Bob Lee, > Chinook > Great Plains > Border (highest score). So next week is Great Plains, the bow I enjoy shooting the most. That list goes very different than how I shoot. Great Plains > Black Widow > Chinook > Border > Bob Lee. We'll settle this one soon I hope.

It's nice to have that particular problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Yooper-travler View Post
    It's nice to have that particular problem.
    It's actually becoming a bit annoying. I am trying to find out which bows I connect with best and the ones I connect don't perform as well as the one's that I don't. I seriously don't want to own too many bows, and lately have been scaling down the gear that clutters my basement, particularly my gun safe. I am also letting 2 of my compound bows go, but having a hard time deciding between the two: Bowtech RPM 360 or Hoyt Nitrum (Prime is already earmarked for a friend). 1 xbow, 1 compound and hopefully no more than 2 recurves will be my ideal.

I hear you brother. My son just took my widow away after he bonded with it squirrel hunting. So in 2 more months a new MAX should be in my paws. I tend to try out as many as I can stick with what "feels" good to me. I don't compete, but I do like the occasional 3D shoot or stumping get together. If I may, don't be in a hurry to find what works best. Enjoy the ride. That being said, I wish you shot lower poundage so I could buy your leftovers.

I know exactly what you mean about figuring out what you like. The trouble is it's hard to let a nice bow go, even if it isn't quite my dream bow. I think I have either 10 or 11 custom recurves hanging on my wall and I really only shoot one. The others are there because they are so nice I hate to let them go. Not a bad situation to be in but even though I bought most of them used it's still a bunch of fun money tied up in wall decorations.

I'm really tempted at the moment to sell a couple and pick up one of the new Blacktail three piece longbows.

One thing I have found is that only time really tells me which one I like. I need to get them tuned up and shoot them for a while to see. The right ones just keep feeling more and more comfortable and the others, not so much. It's usually a grip thing for me, some are not only more natural in the way they fit my hand but if my grip is off it's instantly noticeable. For me a big fat grip feels nice at first but there's too much room for getting off one way or another. I really like more of a narrow grip, but still prefer a large riser like in a three piece recurve.

My favorite grip is what's on my Blacktails followed closely by what's on my Silvertips.

I should go lower poundage for 3D shoots. I like to keep a 55er for hunting, but all others don't need to be over 45#.

Quote Originally Posted by Easykeeper View Post
    I know exactly what you mean about figuring out what you like. The trouble is it's hard to let a nice bow go, even if it isn't quite my dream bow. I think I have either 10 or 11 custom recurves hanging on my wall and I really only shoot one. The others are there because they are so nice I hate to let them go. Not a bad situation to be in but even though I bought most of them used it's still a bunch of fun money tied up in wall decorations.

I'm really tempted at the moment to sell a couple and pick up one of the new Blacktail three piece longbows.

One thing I have found is that only time really tells me which one I like. I need to get them tuned up and shoot them for a while to see. The right ones just keep feeling more and more comfortable and the others, not so much. It's usually a grip thing for me, some are not only more natural in the way they fit my hand but if my grip is off it's instantly noticeable. For me a big fat grip feels nice at first but there's too much room for getting off one way or another. I really like more of a narrow grip, but still prefer a large riser like in a three piece recurve.

My favorite grip is what's on my Blacktails followed closely by what's on my Silvertips.
    I agree regarding the Blacktail grip. It's got a very comfortable grip. It still isn't moving on eBay btw. I may end up keeping it. Somebody is selling a set of 64" Elite limbs, but your point was dead on. If I send the bow to Blacktail for new limbs, it will cost me more than a brand new bow when all said and done. And if I do end up ordering one, I think I will go with the Sitka riser.

Last night 3D league: 412 points with Great Plains.

I agree regarding the Blacktail grip. It's got a very comfortable grip. It still isn't moving on eBay btw. I may end up keeping it. Somebody is selling a set of 64" Elite limbs, but your point was dead on. If I send the bow to Blacktail for new limbs, it will cost me more than a brand new bow when all said and done. And if I do end up ordering one, I think I will go with the Sitka riser.
    I've read a lot of good things about the Sitka.

Quote Originally Posted by Easykeeper View Post
    I've read a lot of good things about the Sitka.
    Short risers with long working limbs work great for me.

Btw. The Elite is not moving on eBay either. Somebody offered $750 but turned out he had 29" draw length, and someone from China offered $600. Then I realized "Make an Offer" was checked. I'm not going to let that bow go less than $800. Decisions, decisions.

Yeah, sometimes it takes a while for the right buyer to come along. Even a used Blacktail is significant chunk of change.

Good luck with your sale.

Easykeeper, I found one of your Blacktails

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7