Archery Talk Forum banner

Longbows

2K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  Stikshooter 
#1 ·
I've been told to drop down from my 55# bow so am looking for a new one and I've decided to get a longbow. Any recomendations. I have around a $600 and under budget. Prefferably under cause I got to get a new stab for the target rig. Keep in mind that I am a competition shooter and want somthing high preformance. I was looking at that Byron Furguson Patiot, the tomohawk thunderstorm, the sky trophy, and the checkmate crusader.

#2 ·
I looked at the Patriot

But went with the Martin Savannah. Shot them both and liked the Martin hands down, 459 at Cabela's. I liked the grip area better and the looks are way above the Bear line IMHO. Zebrawood limbs with bubinga riser...AWESOME.

Josh

#4 ·
Try to shoot a few different kinds on your own because the way it feels and shoots for YOU is better than any opinion anyone else can offer. If you're new to the longbow, why not try to get a cheap used one before you plunk a lot of money down for a new one that you may not like. And as far as longbows go, I think that LBR is the guy to ask to give you a good opinion on what some of the better ones are...and some of the stinkers as well

#6 ·
Lots of great longbows on the market, but I don't know of a "cheap" one I'd recommend. However, you can get a very good one for under $600.

My personal favorite is the Crusader--the best grip (for me) of any bow I've held, great performance, very low handshock.

I haven't checked prices lately, but I think Roy Hall (Navajo) and Mike Treadaway (Black Forrest) still offer bows under $600. Great bows, and great guys to deal with.

Chad

#8 ·
For around $480 you can have a truly world class custom longbow from Northern Mist Longbows . I've shot alot of longbows and Steves are shock free, smooth and fast. Do a search for Northern mist at the Leatherwall or tradgang.com and you'll get lots of info. One of his bows was compared side by side to an Adcock ACS through the chrono and was within a few fps of the Adcock all things being equal. I was just at his shop and was shooting a 450 grain arrow out of a 38# bow and was amazed how that light of a bow cast that arrow.

#10 ·
Duane at Thunderhorn makes one of the smoothest, shock free longbows that I've shot. The little Coup sticks will hold their own against a lot of other bows, the grip is one of the best, and the craftsmanship is unmatched. The bows shoot where you look, point very good, and are very quick.
And their beauty, man oh man, Duane makes one of the prettiest bows I've seen. Guys that shoot them own four to five different bows from Duane, and you very seldom see one up in the classifeids, and if you do, they're gone in days.

#11 ·
You say you want one for competition? Better check the reg's for what/where you plan to compete, as some of the nice bows mentioned above, while xlnt. shooters/hunters, may not qualify. If you look at the IBO world competitors, a lot of them seem to be using the 21st Century.

#14 ·
Go to www.blackwidow.com check the bows for sale section you will probably find 1 or 2 long bows there and if you can find a better long bow than a widow go for it. Also the older widows imo are a better bow seeing as how they were hand made. They are made for ff strings have more of a recurve style grip and shoot off the shelf. just great shooters.

#15 ·
for my money you can't beat a Tomahawk longbow but it will cost a bit more then 600. Also I can't say enough about good about 3Rivers archery abd how they back up what they sell. They hvae a new longbow called the Trad Brat bow that sells for around 500.

I know from first hand that when Dale of 3rivers says he backs up what he sells he means it 100000 per cent

#16 ·
I suggest that you seek out a traditional bow shop and try shooting a variety of longbows. It has been my experience that what feels good and shoots well for one person, may not be right for another. This is especially true of longbows. They seem to be even more a matter of personal preference than recurves. In addition to the bows that others have suggested I recommend that you have a look at Dwyer Longbows and at Hunter's Niche. Both of these sites have good longbows that are within your budget.

http://www.dwyerlongbows.com/index.html

http://www.huntersniche.com/phoenix_longbow.htm

#17 ·
Dwyer Longbows

Sometimes I wish I didn't have gift certificate money when I bought the bow I would have loved to spend the equal amount on one of these. The Dwyer bows are awesome.

But as it stands I feel I have a great bow and I'm not in the least bit disappointed.

Josh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.