what grain broadhead

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

what grain broadhead

Just curious what grain broadhead others are using specifically for whitetail? I currently shoot 150grain slick tricks in my crossbow. When I got into crossbows everything was all about heavier heads for more pentration at the cost of speed. Looking at new crossbows for next year and considering going down to 100 or 125 slick tricks instead of the 150s, just curious if people like more weight or more speed for hunting ect?

Thanks
    2013 Breathn built Obsession Lethal Force II
    Tightspot, QAD HDX, Trophy Ridge React, Black eagle carnivores, Bee stinger

I personally like 100 grain broadheads because I also shooting 100 grain with my Hoyt Nitrum Turbo. I recommend a 400-450 grain total weight for a crossbow shooting 350-400fps. This is my opinion and this is what tuned/tested well for my setup.

I'm shooting 100 grain standard and magnum slick tricks. I've harvested twelve deer in two years with my Dagger which has an estimated bow speed of 320-328 fps and arrow weight of 403-415 grains total. I have no plans on switching.

I've never shot a heavy broadheads at targets or deer so I can't give you any comparison.
    2014 Mission Dagger
    BEE's 20"
    Jnocks
    ST Standards 100grns
    Trigger Tech

Do you get a lot of pentration? My current setup blows through a deer and keeps on going till it sticks in a tree, thus why im thinkin its overkill and could benefit from a lil more speed and less weight.

3 of the 12 did not pass through. 1 doe quartering away hit in back of the shoulder and stopped under hide in front of offside shoulder, 2.5 year old buck hit in center of ribs on right side and buried in offside shoulder and 5.5 year old buck hit in center of left shoulder and stopped under hide approximately four to six inches behind offside shoulder.

All three of these deer were shot with magnum blades. I believe if I were shooting standard blades, the broadheads would have at least poked through the other side with the exception of the 2.5 year old buck.

I watched all but four of them fall.
    2014 Mission Dagger
    BEE's 20"
    Jnocks
    ST Standards 100grns
    Trigger Tech

Quote Originally Posted by nebraskaz71 View Post
    Just curious what grain broadhead others are using specifically for whitetail? I currently shoot 150grain slick tricks in my crossbow. When I got into crossbows everything was all about heavier heads for more pentration at the cost of speed. Looking at new crossbows for next year and considering going down to 100 or 125 slick tricks instead of the 150s, just curious if people like more weight or more speed for hunting ect?

Thanks
    What crossbow are you shooting?

I use 100 gr Slick Mags out of my 10 pt ProFusion. Get complete pass thrus from every angle. Pass thrus on does all the way up to 6 yr old bucks. I like em!

Quote Originally Posted by rubicon08 View Post
    What crossbow are you shooting?
    I have been using a barnett buck comander 365, selling it to go probably tenpoint or scorpyd next.

I use the 100gn,orange razor tipped (2.3) rage on pile driver bolts with nocturnals. I've shot 3 deer with them and they have all passed through.
    One at 8 yards.
    One at 22 yards.
    One at 43 yards.
    None have gone more than 60 yards or so.
    2012 Bear Anarchy, Carbon Express CX-3SL and damn proud of it!

All I have been using is 125 grain bh for years now with very good results out of both verticals and my X-bow. Very little difference in trajectory out to 40 yards and the F.O.C. is much higher.
    Shootin Flat And Hittin Hard

I'm shooting a170 gr NAP FOC with a 75 gr brass insert. I found this to be the most accurate combo out of both my MXB 400's. My total arrow weight Is 516 grs.
    At the time I had 14 spynal tapps. I wanted them all to enjoy a closer poi with each other. I found switching from alum inserts to my self made 75 gr inserts did this. I sawed 110 gr inserts off. After testing mission 75 gr inserts.

My mission 320 I'm shooting 125 gr broadheads with a 96 gr brass insert.

Finding the right FOC for your bow/arrow has more to do with accuracy among a group of arrows than penetration. And it don't hurt with closer shots either .

The main thing to me is all my arrows hit behind the crosshair. If that don't happen something's changing.
    Mission MXB 400 black XBR scope Leupold Vendetta
    Mission MXB 400 camo XBR scope
    Mission MXB 320 camo XB1 scope
    Spynal Tapp's FOC broadheads.
    BEE's with Rage hypos.

I've been using 100 gr Slick Tricks on white tails for 10 years. The standard version on the wife's crossbows and magnum version on my compounds. They are the best I've found out of all the types I've tried. I used to shoot 125 gr but found it unnecessary and the extra speed and better accuracy of the lighter broadheads helps. I did find that the standards are more accurate when the speed is above 320 fps. The Slick Tricks almost always pass completely through no matter what u hit on a whitetail.

I always heard accuracy was general better with more weight

I can't say that I've ever had any better accuracy with 125 gr over 100 gr. Different brands of broadheads yes but the 100 gr vs 125 gr no. I would say that 100 gr is the best compromise for speed vs penetration. They just work for me.

Best part of magnums is 4 blades. Every bit of cutting you can do sure helps!

I use 100 grain grim reapers and have no issues.

I've been shooting 100 gn Grim Reaper razortips. I've gotten pass throughs on everything out of a Storm and Sniper: a coyote, 2 whitetail bucks and 4 hogs. None made it farther than 50 yards. I like em....