a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ASA Surprise

ASA Surprise

Well it looks like another ASA shoot has come and gone....I hope a good time was had by all that attended the shoot.

I also want to say congrats to all who shot well and those that won....

It looks like the fears that some had and complained about a few weeks ago were again for not.....as there were over 900 shooters.

Now although I am not a true 3Der anymore I still like to see how those that I know shot.......

It seems that since the announcement of the ASA going to a marked ranges for several groups there has been nothing but crying and whining about the ASA taking "true 3D" away from these classes and that it would not help attendance. Well I guess these people have been wrong so far......

The biggest class always has been and still continues to be Open B....and yes this is a class that shoots a marked range on Sunday.....

Well it appears that the leader of the anti marked range group....one of the ones that claims that 3D is to easy if it is marked shot in the Open B class last weekend.

and I guess it wasn't as easy as you thought......was it DB I am not going to say that I told you so or anything like that....

But what were your thoughts?????

Is it still "3D"?????

Did you have any less fun then you normally do at an ASA event?????

but what I really want to know is why?????
    Last edited by Brown Hornet; March 5th, 2007 at 07:01 PM.
    HDI Staff Director....It's indoor season....is your bow treated with Phase Inhibitor?

Scott Archery CBE Feather Vision

i read somewhere where db said he had fun......and i think i read somewhere else here that he hadnt practiced much....so he didnt want to step up to the open a or semi just yet......

and i think your right hornet.....that second day of marked yardage aint as easy as those thought it would be......i doubt that the pro's would score any higher if it were marked.....
    Love'n-archery>----> BULLSEYE
    WWDD-What Would Darrin Do
    Hans Aint so SOLO - May the Force Be Strong
    You Might Have A Bow Problem If U Bust More Limbs On a Way To The Shoot Then Bugs On Your Windshield
    Stand down....or be SAT down

I shot some 3-dimensional animal targets at known ranges this Saturday myself. I had never shot marked yardage at 3-dimensional animal targets before this and I actually enjoyed it much better. I was a little dissappointed in my score, but I hadn't shot one of them foam critters for almost a year.

Thing about known yardage is this...when you miss, its because you were either holding in the wrong place, or didn't shoot a good shot. No more "I must have mis-estimated the range" on left/right misses.
    Targets are calling my name again! Back to pins (for now)!

I told DB not to worry about it..........I have a list of 5000 excuses for bad scores on 3D.......well, make that 4999 since I missed the yardage is out!!!!!!!!!!

A good time was had by all........except my contacts that never recovered from the red dust in the arena........and those that don't like the 14 rings.....

The adult pros killed the 14 ring with some incredible shooting; however, as a group we signed a petition to eliminate the 14 from regular scoring and I believe ASA will drop it from all but the shootdown round from here on. I know that I didn't shoot once at the 14, was tied for third, 2 points down. Equipment problem killed me second day, dropping 9 points on the final three targets to fall out of the shootdown round. The 14 had no impact on my scoring. For us old senior pros, I don't believe the 14 was a factor in the scoring although there were a few who tried it and most found it unrewarding, I believe, in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by rsw View Post
    The adult pros killed the 14 ring with some incredible shooting; however, as a group we signed a petition to eliminate the 14 from regular scoring and I believe ASA will drop it from all but the shootdown round from here on. I know that I didn't shoot once at the 14, was tied for third, 2 points down. Equipment problem killed me second day, dropping 9 points on the final three targets to fall out of the shootdown round. The 14 had no impact on my scoring. For us old senior pros, I don't believe the 14 was a factor in the scoring although there were a few who tried it and most found it unrewarding, I believe, in the end.

sounds like the 14 ring is a non issue in your class then.....

but i hate to say it....while your group may have passed the paper so to speak.....you guys have put your sponsors in a tough position.....i know that if i were making the call at one of the bigger bow companys who pay a hefty bonus for shooter of the year awards...id be alittle more then concerned on the sudden change of competition.....as the award is generally highly contested right down to the last day and final arrows.....so id be concerned with merely eliminating all but a few archers from the competiton after only 2 tourneys.....

but hey...im sure the group knows whats best for everyone....

i could care less if they have a 14 ring...but i just dont think you start the season and change in 2 deep....

i heard about all the whinning ....but i read about two tourneys this year and see two different winners.....i wonder if next tourney if the petitions will call for all animals to be place at yardages not to exceed 36 .....

rsw....where does it end when the tail stops trying to wag the dog and just play the game with the rules in place....then at the off season try to work out the bugs.....

rules really are for fools.....
    You Might Have A Bow Problem If U Bust More Limbs On a Way To The Shoot Then Bugs On Your Windshield

Lets figure this out

Quote Originally Posted by reylamb View Post
    I told DB not to worry about it..........I have a list of 5000 excuses for bad scores on 3D.......well, make that 4999 since I missed the yardage is out!!!!!!!!!!

A good time was had by all........except my contacts that never recovered from the red dust in the arena........and those that don't like the 14 rings.....
    If you shoot three fives and a zero and still manage a 385 means you hit a few 14, think I hit 5 total. I didnt go to not win. I went and had the game plan to shoot at them and thats what I did. Had a blast. Still a fun game. You win some and you lose some. Just make the rules and Ill play by them. Shot with a good group of guys. Ill be shooting open A in Texas, now you boys just pack it up and get yourself to Texas. Show me how you do it. Guys who shot Florida had a a little advantage, game diffiantly has to be managed different. See ya in Texas, Hornet and OBT. Bring it! Come show me how to ply the game.
    DB
    Archery is an addiction is for me. Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker Rest, Vapor Trail strings, OK-Archery DST 40, Eilte Z28 Bow, Carter/Scott releases, CBE sights, Goldtip arrows, B Stingers Stabilizers, Lancasters Archery, Slick Tricks, Vanetec Vanes, Elite Pulse

wow

I shoot a 417 in semi pro at Mississippi and would have had a 441 if they would have kept the old 14 the way it was I shot with Tim Boykin and Chris Cain and they witnessed the 14 rule that put me in 6th instead of 1st. i shot at six 14's on Sat and hit all of them, but four of them was cutting the line but didn't touch the inner circle . If they would have left the rule the way is was at Florida I would be RICH!!!
    Bart Lawhorn/Owner
    Deer Crossing Archery LLC
    "At the intersection of Quality and Economy"

Great pleasure meeting you

Quote Originally Posted by reylamb View Post

Hattiesburg was a blast. Ill be back
    DB
    Archery is an addiction is for me. Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker Rest, Vapor Trail strings, OK-Archery DST 40, Eilte Z28 Bow, Carter/Scott releases, CBE sights, Goldtip arrows, B Stingers Stabilizers, Lancasters Archery, Slick Tricks, Vanetec Vanes, Elite Pulse

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    If you shoot three fives and a zero and still manage a 385 means you hit a few 14, think I hit 5 total. I didnt go to not win. I went and had the game plan to shoot at them and thats what I did. Had a blast. Still a fun game. You win some and you lose some. Just make the rules and Ill play by them. Shot with a good group of guys. Ill be shooting open A in Texas, now you boys just pack it up and get yourself to Texas. Show me how you do it. Guys who shot Florida had a a little advantage, game diffiantly has to be managed different. See ya in Texas, Hornet and OBT. Bring it! Come show me how to ply the game.
    DB
    glad you had fun db....but dont wait for me to come to texas.....dont want none.....cant have none.....aint gonna get me none.....its all yours...from open b to semi joe.....

but you better pick up your game by next year...or those senior guys will be sending you packing......but from the sounds of it....they dont shoot the 14 rings anyway.....

Quote Originally Posted by bartman View Post
    I shoot a 417 in semi pro at Mississippi and would have had a 441 if they would have kept the old 14 the way it was I shot with Tim Boykin and Chris Cain and they witnessed the 14 rule that put me in 6th instead of 1st. i shot at six 14's on Sat and hit all of them, but four of them was cutting the line but didn't touch the inner circle . If they would have left the rule the way is was at Florida I would be RICH!!!
    dont sweat it bartman......if you dont like the rules this tourney.....just wait till next one....they might favor you next time

asa

This was the best 3d shoot i have ever attended
    The weather was great and the location was awsome!
    I will be back for the next four years!!
    I seen the Boone, but didn't have time to say HI..
    I hope to have a Victory booth at the next one!!
    Bart Lawhorn/Owner
    Deer Crossing Archery LLC
    "At the intersection of Quality and Economy"

Maybe all the other guys had the same thing happen to them too... and maybe the guy who won would have still won...

DB
    Glad you still had a good time....but like I said before I am not a 3Der anymore....I will shoot them from time to time but you know I ain't goin to Texas to shoot 40 arrows.....

But seriously.....Bring it? It appears that it doesn't need to be brought......

and you have been playing this game long enough that you shouldn't need me, obt or anyone else to show you how to play the game
    HDI Staff Director....It's indoor season....is your bow treated with Phase Inhibitor?

bartman, good shooting my friend. wish i could have made this one but it just wasnt in the cards.

i still think the 14's should stay and be scored just as the rest of the rings because it adds excitement to the game for sure.

i was 17 points down in gainesville after the first 3 targets and got back to even by halfway , only to turn right back around and give it away again

it made the game fun even if i did finish in the bottom half in semi pro.

it's a shame that there are some new faces at the top in open pro now and the field has definatelly opened up to some new players in the shootdown just because they have the sack to go for it all weekend and now the rules are going to be changed because THE OLD SCHOOLERS dont like the new format.

i look at it like this for the guys in open pro, they claim they are the best shooters in the world. why not embrace the new style of game with the 14's and go out there and show us that they can judge yardage that accuratelly and make the shot when they need to. shoot some of these mind boggling scores like tim,darren,chance,levi and the others are doing and SHOW US YOU ARE THE BEST AND STOP WHINING.

DB
    hay DB, what half did you shoot better? known yds don't help me one bit...
    stephen J.Bear...

My man Mike Davis got himself a slice of the pie in Senior Pro! I don't how many, if any, 14's he shot at.
    "You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
    Know when to walk away and know when to run.
    You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table."
    Supra ME, BowMadness 34, DNA SP
    Stan ShootOff and JustX releases for hunting, foam and paper!

Unknown is what I shot better

Quote Originally Posted by preyquester View Post
    hay DB, what half did you shoot better? known yds don't help me one bit...
    4 rings arent easy
    DB

Shot to have fun

Quote Originally Posted by OneBowTie View Post
    glad you had fun db....but dont wait for me to come to texas.....dont want none.....cant have none.....aint gonna get me none.....its all yours...from open b to semi joe.....

but you better pick up your game by next year...or those senior guys will be sending you packing......but from the sounds of it....they dont shoot the 14 rings anyway.....
    Its not about winning Thats only a bonus
    DB

Its not about winning Thats only a bonus
    DB
    if thats how you feel....why pay the larger entry fee...you saying the open shooters arent as fun as the P>>>R>>>o shooters

Unknown is what I shot better
    14 rings arent easy
    DB
    That's very interesting..... Did you shoot at more 14's or 12's the 2nd day?

But I must agree if winning is only a bonus why not just keep shooting Open or Open A?
    Last edited by Brown Hornet; March 5th, 2007 at 09:42 PM.

This was the best 3d shoot i have ever attended
    The weather was great and the location was awsome!
    I will be back for the next four years!!
    I seen the Boone, but didn't have time to say HI..
    I hope to have a Victory booth at the next one!!

Glad ya shot well Bart........You also can owe me a great thank you for cancelling the one room I had so ya wouldn't be without a place to stay in town ...LOL...
    In God we Trust all others pay CASH

I message from my phone...so posts are short and sweet . No need for grammar , figure it out man.

Why not shoot with guys I hve idolized

Quote Originally Posted by OneBowTie View Post
    if thats how you feel....why pay the larger entry fee...you saying the open shooters arent as fun as the P>>>R>>>o shooters

Dont see anything wrong with shooting with the pros. Might learn a thing or two. There good guys and if I can afford it why not.
    DB

My scores

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Hornet View Post
    That's very interesting..... Did you shoot at more 14's or 12's the 2nd day?

But I must agree if winning is only a bonus why not just keep shooting Open or Open A?
    Very few tens, only two. Shooting at 14 it either a 14 or 8 or five. I hit five the second day. Its called sink or swim.
    DB

Very few tens, only two. Shooting at 14 it either a 14 or 8 or five. I hit five the second day. Its called sink or swim.
    DB
    Good god man.... Shoot at some 12's.....

But I know the feeling I shot at every 12 one time....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast