Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which apple trees for deer???

Which apple trees for deer???

I'm working on doing some land management and besides creating thickets, pine stands, and food plots, I'd like to also plant some apple trees. I'm sure deer like any apples, but do they prefer one apple over another? If so, which should I plant? ....any other things recommended to plant?

Thanks

Bryan

ttt

anyone?

Gosh, I have yet to find an apple that my deer don't gobble right up. I feed mainly store bought, lol....but they eat up the crap applies like there's no tomorrow. (these are deer that come in my yard for acorns & the treats I leave them. NO hunting on this property)

My guess is you're safe which ever way you go. One that will yield lots.

Egads.

I ment to say CRAB apples.

New keyboard.

any that will produce fruit. It really doesnt matter. An apple or pear, it really doesnt matter. Just make sure you fertilize them every year.

apples

Some apples drop earlier than others, if you want to use them to lure deer in during hunting season, you might look into some that stay on later in the season. heh

our old house had johnathans and red delicious, they ate 'em all. by early fall the apples would be gone as far as they could reach on their hind legs.
    "crackerized" '06,'07 Tributes:wife,kids,dogs,: !everybody needs a new EXperience!!?? not necessarily in that order
    "At no time is freedom of speech more precious than when a man hits his thumb with a hammer."
    I wish I was at http://www.lagunavistaranch.com/contact.html(Jed is out of Crown)

Quote Originally Posted by heh View Post
    Some apples drop earlier than others, if you want to use them to lure deer in during hunting season, you might look into some that stay on later in the season. heh
    If this is true, you might want to consider planting multiple breeds so they drop at different times thus keeping the deer continuously coming to the area.

Iowa City, IA. La Grange, IL. Traverse City, MI
    just splice a few different varieties onto one tree.

Try some Wolf River apple trees. The apples are HUGE.

Do something to protect them when they are young. They will not produce fruit for a few years and the deer seem to like to destroy them given the chance.
    Bowtech Allegiance
    65lbs 28"

Hoyt AM32
    70lbs 27.5"

your best bet is to find a self pollinating (self fruitful too)apple tree. Youre not going for personal tastes so make it easy on yourself. apple trees need pollinators (bees) lots of trees to help make a good crop.

Since youre not in the orchard business look for the easy trees.

Look for a disease resistant self fuitful tree. Even if they are self pollinating its best if there are other apple trees around to help out the genetics and make it easier on the tree.

Dwarf trees will bear fruit sooner and mature faster.

since youre at it might as well add persimmon trees in the mix. Deer love em

if your area can grow honeysuckle bushes start them up too, they make a great browser in the spring and summer

Quote Originally Posted by Buck N Rut View Post
    I'm working on doing some land management and besides creating thickets, pine stands, and food plots, I'd like to also plant some apple trees. I'm sure deer like any apples, but do they prefer one apple over another? If so, which should I plant? ....any other things recommended to plant?

Thanks

Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch Fletcher View Post
    If this is true, you might want to consider planting multiple breeds so they drop at different times thus keeping the deer continuously coming to the area.

As a follow up you can do research and find trees that have apples in July all the way through Nov. Personally I have eight different types planted. Forget the dwarf and semi dwarf the deer will eat your trees to death. Go with standards and do your home work, remember you want lots of apples and big trees are the ticket.
    Luck: Where preparation meets opportunity.

Here is what I have. First you need an enclosure to keep the bastages out while the trees are young. I have some early apples like Lodi apples that ripen early, Yellow delicious. Also have a Granny Smith. But the good apples for deer are ones that come in fall. Macintosh, all types. I also have several types of Crabapple. These I will leave on the trees to fall of late in fall and winter to keep giving the deer treats.
    I also mixed in some plum trees as well.

Arkansas Blacks- late apple that stay a long time. Tour biggest concern will be getting to trees to a bearing age in good shape.

I have some crabapple trees that the deer come to like trained monkeys. I don't hunt it but I have seen 10-15 deer at a time before. In the fall once, all the apples had fallen from the tree and the deer would pass thru every night looking for the apples, so one night there had been a bowl of apples sitting on the counter, I took them outside and threw them out towards the apple tree they hit the ground and rolled through the leaves and all of a sudden three deer came running to the apple tree. They heard the sound of apples dropping and they ran to it, I just stood there in the shadowes and watched them.

Don't mean to hijack, but anybody know what kind of apple trees would grow well in Northern Minnesota?

Quote Originally Posted by drahthaar View Post
    Here is what I have. First you need an enclosure to keep the bastages out while the trees are young. I have some early apples like Lodi apples that ripen early, Yellow delicious. Also have a Granny Smith. But the good apples for deer are ones that come in fall. Macintosh, all types. I also have several types of Crabapple. These I will leave on the trees to fall of late in fall and winter to keep giving the deer treats.
    I also mixed in some plum trees as well.
    Thanks, we are getting rid of our feeders and putting in some apple groves/mini orchards. We put ornamental plums and peaches in and the deer come up to the house to eat these undersized fruit. So we figure it was the way to go. We are just going to scour the nursery departments at department stores and see what we can find. I will look for late bearing trees.

Hunt Hard, Have Fun

qdm had a good article this past month on antique apples. Even gave different companies to buy them from. I personally bought some from www.morsenursery.com. They look really good, but with apple trees you are wasting your time if you don't guard them from deer they will basically eat them into the ground.

Get some late and early dropping apples to plant in areas you can hunt with different winds and at different times of the year to keep each stand fresh. Can't go wrong with any variety though that is pest hardy and produces loads of apples. I just like keeping the old varieties around so that is why I like the antique/heritage apples. Most are also smaller and with amazing flavor.

To me they are kind of like wild strawberries as opposed to the varities you can get from the nurseries. The wild ones have much better flavor.

here is a link for a place to get apples or other trees/plants for wildlife

http://www.morsenursery.com/

I have not called myself, but several of the guys over on the QDMA forum have called and talked to Charlie Morse and find him to be very helpful. For those of you based further north, Morse Nursery is located in Battle Creek, Michigan so he can probably help you as well. He does have trees on the site that produce fruit at different time of year.

looks like letemgrow beat me to it

Thanks for the question. I had the same thing in mind for this year on some public land.

Thanks again for the great ideas. I didn't think about planting them so they fall at different times, but it makes perfect sense.

If anyone else has knowledge in this area, please, feel free to speak up.

I have a few crabapple trees and the deer eat them up. I also just planted a few golden delicious apple trees. It will be a long while before it fruits though.

Check out this site for MN apples:
    http://www.maes.umn.edu/MNHardy/components/apples.asp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast