Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do haul deer out of the woods?

How do haul deer out of the woods?

I hunted some public land this past weekend and had to go back amost a mile off the main road to find where there deer are. But when I was back there I was wondering, if I was to shot one, how in the heck would I get it out?

The land was up hill in every direction and 6" of snow. Not to mention the thick cover. The trails leading in are gate locked and they dont allow four wheelers. So you have to hoof it.

We have the same problem hunting on a National Wildlife Refuge. The best way that I have found is a long narrow plastic sled. It's still not easy but it's the best I've come up with.
    Snoopy.
    Put down the rifle and step away from the pickup! Its time to hunt!!

http://randolphdj.smugmug.com/
    http://www.camospace.com/user/djrandolph/
    Mossy Oak Pro Staff

I bought a cheap deer cart that makes it extremely easy to move deer. You can either pull or push it. They are sold by any large store like cabelas, bass pro, or gander mountain. If it is a long hike, it is well worth the investment.
    PS. Dont forget to cover the deer with a orange sheet!

Re: How do haul deer out of the woods?

Originally posted by Bucksnort12
    The land was up hill in every direction and 6" of snow. Not to mention the thick cover.
    LOL!!! I'm sorry it reminds me of when my grandfather would tell me he had to walk to and from school uphill both ways!!

OK on to your question. I also hunt some public land that you can not take a ATV on. A friend that hunts it with me has some thick blue plastic, it kindof looks like a snow slid, and we have pulled them out on that. The other way is good old Pat and Charlie.

I also have a deer cart, but it doesn't work well if you have much snow. The sleds work great, but you can carry in a tarp easier, and fold it into several layers, put the deer on it, tie a rope to the two front corners, drag it out like a sled. Less to have to carry in.

Mike

Bucksnort good for you for going far enough off of the road to get where the deer are. Regarding "how would I get it out of here", I'm sure you would find a way. I have hunted public land for years and have never heard the story of someone bagging a big buck and not being able to drag it out. That being said I have heard some choice words from one of my brothers while dragging a deer of mine out.

I hope you bag a big one in the "Chipp" and have the "problem" of dragging it out.

Talking

A wise man once advised me to take salt, pepper and a lighter with me on my hunts way back in the bush. When ya shoot a biggun just cut him up and cook him right there. No fuss at all getting him out DCM

Definately field dress him.

Two guys, a long pole, and a rope do wonders.

When by my self, use your full body safetey harness and attach to the deers horns, head, or neck. This allows you to use your hands (keep them free). Just lean into it. Once you get him going, you can make pretty good time until you come to downed trees and such.
    Robbys Sales ... Great prices on Mathews, Elite, and Bowtech ... Mt. Airy, NC (336) 786-8017
    Vapor Trail Archery
    Elite GT-500 Next G1 Elite Energy 35 Black Elite Pure Cosmic Orange

Bo and I are LAZY, we use a Polaris 600 or the 500 HO. That is how we haul them out. I hear a plastic sled works well.

Take a 4' section of rope, cut off a strong 1-2' stick, tie a half hitch around the antlers and then to the snout, and then tie the other end to the stick, and away you go.

With 6" of snow and only 1 mile to go, why not just point your nose towards the road and drag him out. I bet it wouldn't even take 2 hours. Snow makes the dragging much easier. They will slide along nicely. I have dragged 40+ deer this way, all you need is a stick and a rope.

Last year I had a long drag in Northern Maine, I was 4.3 miles (GPS) from the nearest logging road. Shot the deer at 9am, got him out by 6:00 pm. Luckily there was snow and that made things easier. If there hadn't been snow I would have quartered him in the woods and taken half out at a time.

I agree with Meleagris. 1 mile ain't bad at all with 6" of snow. Sure it will take a while and you'll be a little tired. Just lean into it and go.

In a car driving to a meeting, fishing hole, or archery shoot!
    In Ohio, the deer are small enough that we just throw 'em over our shoulder and walk out with 'em.... of course that's after we field dress them and wrap them in orange.

If one is fortunate enough to bag a real big one (100 lbs), then two guys with a rope and stick does the trick. Army surplus body bags work well too..... one guy on each corner and off you go. if the terrain is flat, a deer cart will make quick work out of your trip on non-snow covered ground. Never had to drag one out in the snow so I can't comment on the portion of it.

Siefrj

hunt

i mainly hunt public land and my buddies lnd backs up to it so we are able to acces the public with the artic cat 500 if needed but we dont get caught had to use last year that 12 pointer was pin in the arse trying to drag

Last weekend

I helped buddy drag one with a brown plastic sled. Worked great. I think he said he bought it at Cableas. or Pro Bass. Said they were not that exspensive.

I have two deer draggers at home that work pretty good and getting better every year. First is 11 year old xcountry runner, skinny but great stamina!, Second is 13, 5'5" 115lbs of muscle.

Another year or so and I can start shooting the REAL big ones and just hook these two boys up to it, and say "home boys"

snow makes life MUCH easier. People try to make this more complicated than it should be. Just grab on and start walking!

--Bob

Find a friend with some horses or pack mules.

Work smarter, not harder.
    Robbys Sales ... Great prices on Mathews, Elite, and Bowtech ... Mt. Airy, NC (336) 786-8017
    Vapor Trail Archery
    Elite GT-500 Next G1 Elite Energy 35 Black Elite Pure Cosmic Orange

I do it the old fashioned way - grab a horn and grunt. With snow the job is alot easier.

I use my blaze orange plastic sled bought it for like $9.00 at farm & fleet

Thumbs up

I use a flat strap about 15 ft long .First I make a loop and put the front leg's and neck of the deer in it ,pull it tight.Then I make a loop on the other end ,and I put my neck and one arm trough it .Make it short so you can grab the loop around the deer . If you get some of it's weight off the ground it makes life a little easer. The snow should help.

For anything really far, my cousin and I will debone and pack it out with good backpacks. This applies to deer and elk in Colorado. Although I did shoot a doe one time in maryland that I swear would have fit in my bird-vest.

For close deer, I use a rope of my tree stand safety harness to drag the deer out. I can't drag any elk, so I recruit my hunting partner to help carry it out. It's hard to drag anything through thick timber with a lot of blow downs.

wisconsin

i gun hunt the nicolet, when i wenture way back into the ceader swamps i drag a plastic sled with me. works great, exspecialy with snow. on private land i would have to choose between my 2002 yamaha 660 or 2004 honda trx450r that come in febuary

I grab the rack and pull.

4 wheeler or drive if I can. All of my hunting land is private and the farmers always have some way to get in there as they have to to fix fences or get a combine through. Otherwise you could by one of those game dollies. Cory

Dragging

Well Said Sage Creek.. It is surprising how much those tree stand harness help to drag out a deer. The harness is worth its value for sure jsut for that purpose. , Even better with 2 people both with harness hooked to a deer. its not bad with 2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast