NFAA Bowhunter Stabilizer Question

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

NFAA Bowhunter Stabilizer Question

I am planning on shooting indoor sectionals and nationals for the first time this year. I currently shoot a Doinker dish with a 10 degree down quick connect. Reading the rules it states a "straight stabilizer" may be used. Does this mean I can't use my quick connect since it angles down?
    -->>--Aim small, miss small-->

2. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

In what class

4. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by V.I.BoyzBows View Post
    I am planning on shooting indoor sectionals and nationals for the first time this year. I currently shoot a Doinker dish with a 10 degree down quick connect. Reading the rules it states a "straight stabilizer" may be used. Does this mean I can't use my quick connect since it angles down?
    Cant use angle disconnects..

Nothing wrong with 10 degree down disconnect for NFAA Bowhunter class. Just make sure that the measurement from the riser to the end of the stabilizer is not over 12". Most people forget to add the disconnect length to the stab. When the rules say straight, it means that the stab is straight but not straight out from the bow.
    PSE Supra Max 60#
    Hoyt Carbon Element 60#

Quote Originally Posted by huteson2us2 View Post
    Nothing wrong with 10 degree down disconnect for NFAA Bowhunter class. Just make sure that the measurement from the riser to the end of the stabilizer is not over 12". Most people forget to add the disconnect length to the stab. When the rules say straight, it means that the stab is straight but not straight out from the bow.
    You better get that checked
    Mike LePera
    Britesite.US

Quote Originally Posted by brtesite View Post
    You better get that checked
    Thats what im thinking... unless the rule has changed at some point recently

One straight stabilizer, coupling device included if used, which cannot exceed 12 inches at any time, as measured from the back of the bow, V-bar, counterbalance and string dampeners may be used.

That could definitely be taken to mean the stabilizer and coupling device (e.g. quick disconnect) must be straight. Try calling the range who will be running the show to get their opinion.

Straight means straight, 10 degree down is not straight.

It would not be legal in BHFS.

There was an upheld RIC ruling on this. Straight means straight, and the angled disconnects are not legal for use in the BH classses.
    There's not much of a lesson to be learned the second time a calf kicks you in the balz.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolo View Post
    There was an upheld RIC ruling on this. Straight means straight, and the angled disconnects are not legal for use in the BH classses.
    Thanks for that. Here's the minutes:

NY-3 New By-Laws Page 30 II – E – 13 & F – 8
    Add: A coupling device; machined in such a way that allows the stabilizer to deflect
    upwards, downwards or to the side, is illegal.
    Rationale: Competitors in Competitive Bowhunter, Freestyle Bowhunter and Freestyle
    Limited Bowhunter styles of competition have been observed using a commercially
    manufactured stabilizer coupler or quick disconnect attached between the bow and
    stabilizer that allows the stabilizer to deflect downwards approximately 10 degrees from
    the horizontal. The equipment rules for BH, BHFS & BHFSL styles of competition state:
    “One straight stabilizer, coupling device included if used… ”. The wording of this rule
    leaves some competitors to question the legality of using a stabilizer coupler that allows
    the stabilizer to deflect approximately 10 degrees down from the horizontal. Both RIC
    2004-4 and a decision at the Tournament Official’s meeting held prior to the start of the
    February 2004 WAF Vegas Shoot prohibit the use of an angled coupler in the Bowhunter
    styles of competition. The addition of this agenda item to the equipment rules would
    clarify this issue.

RIC 2004-4
    INCIDENT OR QUERY: A protest was lodged against several competitors shooting in
    the Bowhunter Freestyle division for not having a straight stabilizer. Theirs had a 10
    degree downward coupler attached.
    DIRECTOR’S RULING: Article II Sec F Para 8 states that one straight stabilizer
    including coupler, if used… the NY director ruled that any coupler & stabilizer that
    allows it to deflect up, down, or sideways is illegal in the BH, BHFS, or BHFSL styles of
    shooting.
    RIC RULING: RIC agrees with the NY director.