Arrow Saw Question

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Arrow Saw Question

Well, I learned the hard way today the importance of a quality Arrow saw. I was cutting some Easton Axis on my "homemade" saw, a cheep 40 dollar Harbor Freight cut off saw mounted to my bench. The saw did not have the power or speed and was bogging down while cutting and I got some gnarly frayed ends on my arrows.
    Weston has two models, a 5000 rpm and a 8000 rpm. Do I need to spend the extra money on the faster one? Is 5000 plenty fast enough? I dont want to go through this again so I will spend it if necessary.
    Omega Imperial 64"AMO, 40lbs @28"
    Bear AuSable 64"AMO, 47lbs @28"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

I am not sure about the 5000. I have the 8000 RPM Weston saw and am pretty happy with it. I looked at both but did not want to be under powered. Buy once is a good motto with tools. When I compromise I end up having to buy again.
    Barebow Recurve

4. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

The motor for my apple saw died, so I replaced it with what I think is the identical model.

It is 8000 RPM, 1/10 HP.

Label on the replacement says it is a Dayton, Model 2M037A,

Got mine on ebay cheaper than directly from the manufacturer, and they drop shipped it directly... Go figure...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAYTON-APPLI...4AAOSwTA9X9clY

if you don't need the A on the end...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAYTON-2M037...0AAOSwZJBX-R2e

Don't know if there are real differences or not...

I'm guessing you had the wrong blade on the HF saw. I paid 25 for mine and never had a problem - except being squared off. And that problem I've had with catalog companies cutting to length.

Bowmania

I'd go the 8000 rpm model, cut sloooow and let the rpms do the work cleanly, and if in doubt even a scintilla, replace the cutoff wheel. I just squared up a dremel on a jig, requires multiple cuts because of the throat, but i haven't had any issues with the quality of the cuts.

I bought the weston 8000 rpm arrow saw 10 years ago. I only cut 3 or 4 dozen arrows a year but it is nice to have a nice saw handy. I used to drive 6 miles to the local archery shop every time I had arrows to cut. I have used my weston saw to cut both aluminum and carbon shafts..8000 rpm is said to cut carbon arrows better than 5000rpm saws.

I have the 5000 rpm & have never had any issues with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kali4 View Post
    Well, I learned the hard way today the importance of a quality Arrow saw. I was cutting some Easton Axis on my "homemade" saw, a cheep 40 dollar Harbor Freight cut off saw mounted to my bench. The saw did not have the power or speed and was bogging down while cutting and I got some gnarly frayed ends on my arrows.
    Weston has two models, a 5000 rpm and a 8000 rpm. Do I need to spend the extra money on the faster one? Is 5000 plenty fast enough? I dont want to go through this again so I will spend it if necessary.
    I'm gonna guess you did not have the correct blade for cutting carbon.
    Serial Trad Police Offender

I have cut a lot of arrows with the harbor freight saw. I do use an abrasive wheel for carbons but other than that, I have no complaints. Maybe you got a bum saw?

Kali -

I've been using that same model for almost 10 years on arrows, steel rods and a number of other metal parts.
    Agree with NOT, only use an abrasive wheel (for everything), and yes, they do need to be replaced every few years,

Viper1 out.
    “Simple and innocent, however, as it (the bow) appears, and capable as it is of being a trusty friend and ally, a bow is at the same time a watchful enemy, ready to take advantage of the smallest slight.”

Thanks Everyone. I was using a 1/16 Cut Off wheel on the saw but I think the power was just not enough or I had a bum saw because over time it seemed to have more and more trouble cutting through the arrows until it finally just stopped in the middle of an arrow I was cutting and finishing the job made a mess. The arrows still work, the only part of the arrows that frayed a little was the wood grain coating on the outside but the integrity of the carbon seems to be okay. I think I will just invest in a good saw as I dont want to have issues in the future and it looks like I will be continuing to shoot carbon for a while.

I killed a westen saw because I didn't vacuum the carbon dust away from the motor. Not good. I bought an Apple saw, man that thing cuts like butter!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That may be what happened to my current saw. I am not an expert with regards to Carbon Fiber but I do know that it will destroy electronics. I will probably just spend a little extra and get the better one with the vacuum option.

Kali -

I've probably only done 5 or 6 dozen carbons, mostly aluminum and the aforementioned steel stuff.
    Yes, you have to vac or "dust" the dust off when done.

Viper1 out.
    “Simple and innocent, however, as it (the bow) appears, and capable as it is of being a trusty friend and ally, a bow is at the same time a watchful enemy, ready to take advantage of the smallest slight.”

I borrowed one, I forget the brand but it was terrible…..it was struggling with GT Warriors and just ended up being a chore.

So I went and bought an Apple and never looked back. I use it for carbon, aluminium and even wood without issue
    "If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe"

I got one of those cheap mini cut off drop saws for xmas - and I put on an 2" abrasive wheel (3/8" arbor) ... taped the shaft where I wanted to cut and it cuts easy and fast. I was actually impressed but you MUST use the abrasive wheel which you can buy online separately. (Dont use the toothed blade they usually come packaged with.) Taping probably reduces splinters too.

I am sure the Apples and Weston saws are great but I'm only ever doing to cut maybe 2 dozen max per year if that. For a low volume user like me the cheap saw worked great.

I finish off on a Lumenok Arrow Squaring Device anyway.