Need Chain Help - Page 2

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Need Chain Help

Orange County, People's Republik of Mexifornistan
    Quote Originally Posted by 5MilesBack View Post
    I have the rubber tensioners as well as the metal spring type tensioners. The spring type are more rugged and durable and I use those when I'm chaining up for a week+ at a time.
    When you say "spring type" is that what they call the "cam" in some chains? Would use rubber tensioners in conjunction with this?
    Elite Energy 32 & Hoyt Carbon Element 65lb draw, Spot Hogg Hunter sight, QAD HDX drop-away rest, 8” Axion Gridlock 3D Hunter stabilizer, Archer Xtreme Carbon Vapor (camo dipped) quiver
    The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000. The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by catskin View Post
    I just took my chains off, they are a new set and I just love them - I towed/dragged the UPS truck with my dodge about 4 miles in 30" of wet snow with just the rear set of chains. I'm sure I bought them at Les Schwab. I can go look if you want a brand name. You also need a good tow strap.

edit photos;

Attachment 5343017Attachment 5343025
    these are the same chains ive been running on my last 3 diesel trucks(14 years). I also have had 35's on them all and bought them at les schwab. they will run you about $140. they are bullet proof and will last many miles. I always run mine on the front and have never had an issue. current rig is a dodge 3500 and it clears everything fine. theres actually more room upfront than in the rear. my thought process is my turning and braking all happens up there so that's where I want the traction. the rear has a limited slip and I'm sure yours does too. the front axle does not however.

when you install them they will need to be tightened up again at the outer cam. you can also take it up a few links on the hook on the inside of the tire...like after a mile or so. keep it under 30 and you will not have any paint slapping going on. don't drive on bare pavement for any amount of time or the links will break.IMG_1024.jpgIMG_1025.jpgIMG_1026.jpg
    Idaho Elk Hunter ->>------------->

4. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

Oreillys carries them now for $110 with free shipping

6. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

I'm an archery hunter. No need for chains when your done in the mountains by the end of September every year... ;-)
    The Right way for the Right reasons...
    Special Thanks to:
    HOYT- RAGE- TrophyTaker
    Black Gold Sights- Field Logic- Easton- Flex Fletch
    BlackOvis.com

Quote Originally Posted by Where's Bruce? View Post
    When you say "spring type" is that what they call the "cam" in some chains?
    No. They are a tensioner like the simple rubber, but have a small chain with springs and hooks that attach to the chains to keep them tight. I'll take a pic later and post it.

Edit: Here you go, just found them at this website.......http://www.tirechain.com/ADJUSTERS-H...FZSIfgod9y8Gwg
    2014 LH PSE Freak SP 70#, 32 1/2" draw, QAD HDx, SH 7-pin Hunter, 532gr Kinetic XT 200 @ 289fps.
    2006 LH Bowtech Old Glory 70#, 32 1/2" draw, back to the Hostage rest, SH 7-pin Hunter, 500gr TR Crush 300 @ 285fps.
    2007 LH Bowtech Commander 60#, 32" draw, Limbdriver rest, BG 5-pin Flashpoint.

Anything else I should know about using snow chains?
    Elite Energy 32 & Hoyt Carbon Element 65lb draw, Spot Hogg Hunter sight, QAD HDX drop-away rest, 8” Axion Gridlock 3D Hunter stabilizer, Archer Xtreme Carbon Vapor (camo dipped) quiver
    The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000. The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.

Nuther question, the chains recommended come in rim sizes 15"-18" and 16"-20"...my rims are 18"...which size is the wiser choice?

bruce, the number I posted above 3231R is an old set. they've updated their sizes for that specific chain since then.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0657&ppt=C0076

also, the rear end of the truck will ONLY try to take over the front end causing a spin out in 2wd. that doesn't happen in 4wd as there is directional momentum being applied to all corners.

I will not buy a set of tire chains without the cams best things ever in the chain world ( won't need the rubbers just try up the extra links )that being said chain up the rear then when things get really sporty chain up the front if you got the room. Have a extra bag of parts links, cross links and a good pair of chain pliers all well worth it.
    Oh yeah don't forget a couple shovels.... You'll brake one. Lol

When you say "spring type" is that what they call the "cam" in some chains? Would use rubber tensioners in conjunction with this?
    this should set some light...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPJOGZM5XAA

Quote Originally Posted by Duramax_Diesel View Post
    this should set some light...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPJOGZM5XAA
    Ha. Add 24" of snow, and no help and it's dark, and 10d F and I forgot the shovel, both of them.

Bowtech BT-X 28, 72#
    Bear Kodiak Hunter greenie, 55#

OMG! I have to lie down in the snow? ROTF

PS much easier to put the chains on before you get stuck lol lay them out behind your tires make sure your cross-links hooks are facing away from your tires one buckel to the front on one side and one buckel to the back on the other side. Hint take one tire off in your shop and put your chains on, much easier that way once you get it down you won't have to lay in the snow . Lol
    Peace out and good luck!!!

Bruce another trick we did do get better traction was to have a narrow set of 2 already chained up in the be. Then all you had to do was change the respective tires out. Takes 15min. Just make sure you have a good flat board to support the jack.

OMG! I have to lie down in the snow? ROTF

No you don't. You can lay them out, drive on them to about the third cross chain, and them work the long end over the tire. You kneel and reach back to hook the inner then do the outside.

I have not read all the responses and forgot much already what was said. Skinner mudtires like the TRUXUS MT's or Wild Country MT's are great. it seems you are not broke so maybe some old nasty rims with a common sized thin tire? like a 235/85/16 or similar. I'm sure it was mentioned but big lugged tires and snow chains dont mix well as depending on the size of the cross bars they can wedge between the luggs and do you no good. I'm not familiar with the Big wide Toyos or the teads the skinnier more aggressive MT type tread might be a option worth looking into.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2