Need Chain Help

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need Chain Help

Orange County, People's Republik of Mexifornistan

Need Chain Help

I run big 35" Toyo Xtremes on my Ram and need chains for mountain snow runs. But being in So. Calif. well, there isn't a lot of need for these. So for you folks who use chains frequently, is there a better design, mfr and/or type that is best? Something simple to put on and take off, stays on the tire no matter what and is reliable/built to last? I don't wanna be that guy whose chains came loose and are slapping the paint off the sides of his truck.
    Elite Energy 32 & Hoyt Carbon Element 65lb draw, Spot Hogg Hunter sight, QAD HDX drop-away rest, 8” Axion Gridlock 3D Hunter stabilizer, Archer Xtreme Carbon Vapor (camo dipped) quiver
    The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000. The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

Tires are 35X12.50R18LT/10 123R...I'm told wide tires present unique chain challenges. I assume ladder and no quick release but don't know if square link or steel twist or V-bar is best.
    Elite Energy 32 & Hoyt Carbon Element 65lb draw, Spot Hogg Hunter sight, QAD HDX drop-away rest, 8” Axion Gridlock 3D Hunter stabilizer, Archer Xtreme Carbon Vapor (camo dipped) quiver
    The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000. The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

V-bar. Here locally, you can buy chains and add/remove links to get the best fit. Tools are right in the store at Murdoch's Ranch & Home. Standard sizes are usually at Napa or any other auto parts store. Be sure to get tensioners also. I like the rubber ones that look like spider webs.

There are guides online, to help in your selection.
    http://www.tirechain.com/Measurement.htm

Have you used tire chains before? Offroad? Different driving with them on than normal.
    2016 PSE Decree HDti - RipCord ACE - MBG Ascent
    Tight Spot - Fuse 8.5" Carbon Blade - Easton Axis N-Fused arrows - Tru-Ball release
    Living in what truly is the "Last Best Place" - Montana
    Acts 2:38 - For those that honestly seek the truth, there is only one way.
    The foundation of scriptural truth is what the Holy Spirit had written in the Bible.

I have two sets of vbars for my 35's and just so you know one axles worth is a hand full to manage. I use the diamond quick fits on our Jeep (love them) but these are not a heavy duty chain. If you look at the design you'll see where ruts and stones could damage the adjusters on the sides. The diamonds are great if your sticking to roads or fairly even ground.

tirechain.com is where I bought from.

Edit: My vbars for 35's will really get your attention on hard ground.

Most chain-up areas are within the snow zones of the mountains so I always try to go with something fast.

Also, doesn't your rig have 4WD?
    By God, I are a mountain man, and I'll live 'til an arrow or a bullet finds me. And then I'll leave my bones on this great map of the magnificent...

Yes, it's a 4X4 but wide tires in icy and/or slushy conditions can make that a moot issue right? I'm told most chains requiring "fitting" (ie: links removed) so they don't come loose when driving...is this right? Called several places and they don't even stock this size chain let alone adjust em to fit. Don't wanna be this guy alone in the middle of nowhere. Do I need chains on 2 or 4 tires? Do they damage the tire at all?

You shouldn't need fitting if you buy them from a good retailer but sometimes you can make them a bit nicer. When I went from one set of tires to another I added another cross chain and added a link or two to the side chains for a perfect fit. with the quick fits it will fit or not I believe? Call tirechains.com and ask them as they'll likely have them in stock. Be careful with clearance in the front at full turn.

I just took my chains off, they are a new set and I just love them - I towed/dragged the UPS truck with my dodge about 4 miles in 30" of wet snow with just the rear set of chains. I'm sure I bought them at Les Schwab. I can go look if you want a brand name. You also need a good tow strap.

edit photos;

2017-01-11 14.12.35.jpg

2017-01-11 14.13.11.jpg
    Bowtech BT-X 28, 72#
    Bear Kodiak Hunter greenie, 55#

You need to check your truck and see what it is rated for. Some trucks can't have them on the fronts because of all the brake lines etc in the way. You don't want to take out a brake line if they come loose.

I used to run all four on my Toyota for later rifle season hunting just about every year. Not so much anymore during archery season. Here's a pic with my buddy and chains only on the front, didn't feel like putting all four on and didn't really need all four for that. This was probably 25 years ago or so.......and the truck looks the same today.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 LH PSE Freak SP 70#, 32 1/2" draw, QAD HDx, SH 7-pin Hunter, 532gr Kinetic XT 200 @ 289fps.
    2006 LH Bowtech Old Glory 70#, 32 1/2" draw, back to the Hostage rest, SH 7-pin Hunter, 500gr TR Crush 300 @ 285fps.
    2007 LH Bowtech Commander 60#, 32" draw, Limbdriver rest, BG 5-pin Flashpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by catskin View Post
    I just took my chains off, they are a new set and I just love them - I towed/dragged the UPS truck with my dodge about 4 miles in 30" of wet snow with just the rear set of chains. I'm sure I bought them at Les Schwab. I can go look if you want a brand name. You also need a good tow strap.

edit photos;

2017-01-11 14.12.35.jpg

2017-01-11 14.13.11.jpg

i have the same ones, just a back set...i'm not going where rear chains and lockers cannot.
    age has not made me wise....maybe tomorrow

So when ya use a single set you always put em on the rear tires?

IMG_1356.jpg

i do, i don't want the back passing up the front slowing down, and there is less to go wrong if one comes off.

do i remember your pickup being a power wagon? if so, you would have to do something pretty crazy to get stuck with the rear chained up, and locked.

I have the v-bar style for all 4 tires, and carry a set of tighteners for each one, along with a few spare links. Ammo cans make good carriers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Decided against the 2017 PW in favor of an ecodiesel. Diggin' the fuel economy.

Quote Originally Posted by roosiebull View Post
    i have the same ones, just a back set...i'm not going where rear chains and lockers cannot.
    you have a rear locker on your truck?.....cool

Great story about front chaining. In my younger years I had a 75 Ford F250 Hi-boy, I hit enough snow in the Ochoco's to chain up the front. I wrapped the chains around including the brake line on the drivers front - I found out pretty fast the first time I pressed the brakes and they went to the floor. - crap. Luckily I had a pair of Vise grips I clamped on the hard line and zip tied to the frame - I elk hunted the rest of the week with about 30% breaking. I took it to Les Schwab in Prineville and the guy spent 30 minutes on the phone, found a new hard line, installed it and re-primed my breaks for 15 bucks,. He said, hey it's elk season I know how it is. I've been an Uncle Les fan ever since and that was 25 years ago.
    Bowtech BT-X 28, 72#
    Bear Kodiak Hunter greenie, 55#

I drove from San Ramon Ca (east bay) to Salt Lake City 10 time a month for 5 years. We would hit snow 9 months out of the year. As a kid living in Lake Tahoe I made good money removing chains from flatlanders who did not like getting wet. On a pickup your weight is up front so unless you have about 400lbs on the rear axle your traction is up front. If conditions are bad enough that you need chains your not going to be going very fast. I also would not worry about the rear end passing the front DNS, possible on ice not likely in deep snow unless your realm trying to make it happen. Now to tighten you chains they make a rubber bungee with 5 hooks to attach outer chain it will keep your chains tight as they stretch which they will do. So chain the front (think front wheel drive cars) keep it slow 15-25mph. If you hit dry pavement take them off as soo as it is legal as no chain will hold up long on pavement.

Huh...some differences of opinion here. Guess it's not as cut and dry as I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Where's Bruce? View Post
    Huh...some differences of opinion here. Guess it's not as cut and dry as I thought.
    Like everything in life..ymmv. I was taught to chain up the back, and have never had an issue..if I had an issue, I would want chains on all 4 corners, but I will not put myself in the position that it's needed.

Quote Originally Posted by catskin View Post
    you have a rear locker on your truck?.....cool

Great story about front chaining. In my younger years I had a 75 Ford F250 Hi-boy, I hit enough snow in the Ochoco's to chain up the front. I wrapped the chains around including the brake line on the drivers front - I found out pretty fast the first time I pressed the brakes and they went to the floor. - crap. Luckily I had a pair of Vise grips I clamped on the hard line and zip tied to the frame - I elk hunted the rest of the week with about 30% breaking. I took it to Les Schwab in Prineville and the guy spent 30 minutes on the phone, found a new hard line, installed it and re-primed my breaks for 15 bucks,. He said, hey it's elk season I know how it is. I've been an Uncle Les fan ever since and that was 25 years ago.
    Stock on my tacoma, handy for sure...winch in the front, if I get stuck, there will be some damage

I don't 4 by for fun, so it's sufficient.

One thing on my bucket list is owning a high boy...my favorite pickup of all time.

I'm the same as Rosie, but I see he is from Oregon as well. We deal with ALOT more ice snow mix then crazy deep snow, which is why I've always been told to chain the rears. Guys I know who lived in deep snow areas chained the fronts more, probably as you won't have to worry about the ass getting squirrelly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't chained up my truck in many years, but was always taught by my old man to chain up the front. Not sure it thats correct, but we never had any issues.
    Obsession Evolution: 27" DL @ 74 lbs
    Axcel Armortech Pro HD Sight
    QAD HDX Rest, BeeStinger Stabs
    Easton FMJ Arrows, Fuse Quivers
    QAD Exodus Swept Broadheads

Chaining the rear will get you through most snow conditions on pavement. It's easier to put them on the rear. If the conditions get dicey, chain all four. When we're hunting and headed up some nasty mountain road, we start with just the rear. If snow gets deep, we chain all four.

Chaining just the front works too for pavement driving. Everyone has their own opinions.

We've been in some hairy spots chasing elk herds during late season in the mountains. Haven't went over the side ..... yet. Came close a few times but having chains on helped get us out of those spots.
    Tight Spot - Fuse 8.5" Carbon Blade - Easton Axis N-Fused arrows - Tru-Ball release
    The foundation of scriptural truth is what the Holy Spirit had written in the Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by widnert View Post
    V-bar. Here locally, you can buy chains and add/remove links to get the best fit. Tools are right in the store at Murdoch's Ranch & Home. Standard sizes are usually at Napa or any other auto parts store. Be sure to get tensioners also. I like the rubber ones that look like spider webs.

There are guides online, to help in your selection.
    http://www.tirechain.com/Measurement.htm

Have you used tire chains before? Offroad? Different driving with them on than normal.
    Well I took your advice and contacted them...here's their reply:

Hello,
    Please see http://www.tirechain.com/35-12.5-18.htm for options and prices. Your options are limited with that tire size. I would recommend the 5.5mm square straight link. Your tires look pretty aggressive which can pose a problem with fit. Are they load range E tires?

If you require additional assistance please feel free to contact our customer service.

Best Regards,
    Customer Service
    TireChain.com

Quote Originally Posted by Where's Bruce? View Post
    Well I took your advice and contacted them...here's their reply:

Hello,
    Please see http://www.tirechain.com/35-12.5-18.htm for options and prices. Your options are limited with that tire size. I would recommend the 5.5mm square straight link. Your tires look pretty aggressive which can pose a problem with fit. Are they load range E tires?

If you require additional assistance please feel free to contact our customer service.

Best Regards,
    Customer Service
    TireChain.com

That looks like it should fit. With the aggressive tread they are right. All my friends usually run an aggressive tread tire during hunting season/winter. I usually run BFGs All Terrain. Just put the KO2 version on my rig this past year.

Getting the chains on an aggressive tread will be a tad more difficult than a normal street tire. After a few tries you'll get the hang of it. Absolutely get the rubber tensioners because those chains will move as they settle in with the tire flex as you drive.

Quote Originally Posted by widnert View Post
    Absolutely get the rubber tensioners because those chains will move as they settle in with the tire flex as you drive.
    I have the rubber tensioners as well as the metal spring type tensioners. The spring type are more rugged and durable and I use those when I'm chaining up for a week+ at a time.
    2014 LH PSE Freak SP 70#, 32 1/2" draw, QAD HDx, SH 7-pin Hunter, 532gr Kinetic XT 200 @ 289fps.
    2006 LH Bowtech Old Glory 70#, 32 1/2" draw, back to the Hostage rest, SH 7-pin Hunter, 500gr TR Crush 300 @ 285fps.
    2007 LH Bowtech Commander 60#, 32" draw, Limbdriver rest, BG 5-pin Flashpoint.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast