Fiancé needs a compound and muscles

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Fiancé needs a compound and muscles

My fiancé has been hunting 3 years using a crossbow. After this season with shooting the biggest buck in her life which would've been my personal best also, she wants to get into compound hunting. She's 5'3". 104 pounds? And has the muscles of a grasshopper. What excersies are you ladies doing or what bows are you shooting so I can get her into compound shooting.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

She can do it. That said, the best exercise for drawing a bow is drawing a bow. I've never had one but I think there a a lot of compounds out there that have a wide range of draw weight adjustment. She can start light and work her way up to a heavier DW.
    If you make it fun she'll enjoy it.
    And the Lion will lie down with the Lamb, but only the Lion shall ariseth.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

I have my very first bow which was a PSE Dan Fitzgerald set at 37# and she struggles to hold it back. I thought about getting the therapy rubber bands for her to pull on but they're pointless unless you do the right workout

6. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

37 is heavy for a woman that is a novice. The bows I'm suggesting start at 10-15 and go way up from there. Very DW adjustable. Somebody on here will tell you more than I can.
    And the Lion will lie down with the Lamb, but only the Lion shall ariseth.

Thank you

Could try a Diamond Prism, you can pick one up for $300 they go from 5-55lb dw 18-30in dl

I got my GF a Diamond Prism (Edge is not bad choice either) last may when she decided to start shooting with me and the boys. She is not as small as your Grasshopper, but as said ^^ it is very adjustable. She shot 30 or so arrows every day, I turned it up 1/2 turn every week as well she did push up and worked out with bands pulling to simulate the draw. By end of summer she was pushing 50 #. Just ordered new Defiant 40 -50 with the extra limbs of 50 - 60. She is shooting it at 49# and hopes to be into the other limbs before the start of 3D season.
    If i'm not where I have to be, at work or with my kids, i'm in or against one of my favorite trees, so don't bother me.
    >>>------------>
    Shhh he is out there some where!!!!!!!!!!
    Hoyt/Nitrum 34, QAD, CBE, NAP, Scott, Goldtip, Rage

Thanks so much. She's starting to see how easy it is with a crossbow being her kill record is 11/11 and wants more of a challenge

I have been using a Prism (I am a guy though) since I didnt want to spend big money on a bow since I was just getting back into it, and I am picking up my wife a Prism Saturday in Purple. She is brand new to the sport, so maybe this will be the right choice for her starting off.

I guess I'll have some shopping to do after season

There are several good starter bows on the market right now. All have a wide range of draw length & draw weight adjustability. This is very important for a new shooter, since she will need to build strength. (As others have said, the best way to build strength for archery is to draw a bow. But if the bow can not be dialed down to a relatively low draw weight, she will get frustrated & possibly hurt.) The Diamond Infinite Edge & Mission Craze are a couple that come to mind. I've noticed that shorter women seem to like the Mission Craze.

LOVE my Bowtech Carbon Rose! I'm 5 ft 1 in, 100 lbs and have a 24 inch draw...obviously makes it a challenge to find a bow that fits me. One thing I was worried about was the overall weight of the bow, I find my forearm getting sore and shaky quickly. I LOVE my Carbon Rose because it's carbon, so obviously super light! Even with a stabilizer, it's lighter than many other bare bows I've held. I purchased the 30-40 lb and have it maxed at 40 lbs, the bow draws easy and effortless. I found it to be an odd draw cycle compared to the Parker Bow I was shooting before. I love my Bowtech because I can go right from shooting 280's in competition to the woods and not worry about having to make any major adjustments. Definitely recommend checking this bow out!

Awesome thank you!

Check this out. These exercises should help: http://www.crystalgauvin.com/2017/01...ers/#more-2624

Pay attention to the back wall, the Infinate Edge has a mush back wall, I don't know about the others
    2014 Hoyt Carbon Spyder 30 and 34
    2015 Hoyt Carbon Spyder 34 ZT
    2014 Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo Z5 (2)
    2010, 2011, 2013 Hoyt Matrix
    Fuse ES, HHA Kingpin, Victory RIP XV, HV, Hell Razor, Stan Shootoff, Scott Shark

My wife is about the same draw lenth, height and weight as your girlfreind and has some medical issues as well that makes it hatd for her to exercise hard enough to gain serious strength, "muscles of a grasshopper" would fit her as well
    We bought her a bear apprentice ised from a freind of mine and it has a large range of draw lenth and weight adjustment, it was set at just over 40 lbs when we got it and she could barely draw it, she is shooting it now at 32 lbs and 23" she is improving accuracy and strength every time we shoot, and she is having fun with it. I lucked into a good deal on a very lightly used one from a well known freind, but, they are around 300 for a new package if i recall
    I am still thinking about which broadhead and arrow setup for her for deer hunting

Pullups (NOT chinups, but real pull ups with palms facing away from the body), scap pulls, and crossover symmetry bands will all build the back muscles up to pull a heavier bow.

I started with a 40-50 lb Elite spirit, moved up to 50-60 lb limbs, and just bought a 45-60 lb Eva Shockey SS Bowtech. It feels amazing and it is faster. Currently pulling about 55 lbs. It takes time, but she can get to a heavy weight comfortably. Get good mechanics down first though, because I had to drop my weight and work on technique for a little while.

Quote Originally Posted by Balloonknot View Post
    And has the muscles of a grasshopper.
    Pound for pound (or gram for gram in this case) grasshopper's are pretty damn muscular. Ever try to hold one and have it whack you with those back legs? :>)

I thought about getting the therapy rubber bands for her to pull on but they're pointless unless you do the right workout
    Thanks
    Archery does not get difficult or hard to understand until the arrow misses.