Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crossbows in MN, updated

Crossbows in MN, updated

A new bill has been introduced to create a separate season for crossbow hunting in MN with crossbows. This season would run from Rifle/Shotty opener through the ML season (essentially running parallel with Muzzleloaders)

More info can be found here:
    http://ros.leg.mn/revisor/pages/sear...6&ssn=0&y=2007

Please note, this is a HUNTING thread, not a crossbow thread, so yes, it belongs here.

I'll stick with my compound.

Doug,

Please give everyone the full and correct story.

There has NOT been a new bill created just for crossbows in MN as you stated. And it doesn't have it's own "seperate" season. The bill was originally drafted to state essentially allowing crossbows and mechanical devices to hold compounds at full draw during the archery season. It's verbiage has been amended probably 4-5 times and now is worded that crossbows would be allowed, but ONLY during the firearms and muzzleloader seasons, but ONLY with a crossbow license. My contact says that the bill has been standing still and no one has really done anything with it since the latest amendment.
    TheMidwestHunter.com

Quote Originally Posted by Xtec Shooter View Post
    Doug,

Please give everyone the full and correct story.

There has NOT been a new bill created just for crossbows in MN as you stated. And it doesn't have it's own "seperate" season. The bill was originally drafted to state essentially allowing crossbows and mechanical devices to hold compounds at full draw during the archery season. It's verbiage has been amended probably 4-5 times and now is worded that crossbows would be allowed, but ONLY during the firearms and muzzleloader seasons, but ONLY with a crossbow license. My contact says that the bill has been standing still and no one has really done anything with it since the latest amendment.
    There hasn't been a new bill?

HF 1241 was to allow crossbows in archery season

This one is HF 1116.....

Hmmmmmmmm

Here is the crossbow-specific portion:

Sec. 48. CROSSBOW DEER SEASON.
    18.1 Notwithstanding Minnesota Statutes, section 97B.035, or other law to the contrary,
    18.2the commissioner of natural resources shall establish an open season for taking deer
    18.3by crossbow during the regular firearm or muzzleloader season from November 1 to
    18.4December 15 each year. The commissioner may adopt exempt rules regulating the
    18.5crossbow deer season according to Minnesota Statutes, section 14.386. Notwithstanding
    18.6Minnesota Statutes, section 14.386, a rule adopted under this section is effective until
    18.7January 1, 2009.
    18.8EFFECTIVE DATE.This section is effective the day following final enactment
    18.9and expires January 1, 2009.

18.10 Sec. 49. CROSSBOW SEASON REPORT.
    18.11 By February 1, 2009, the commissioner of natural resources shall submit a report to
    18.12the chairs of the house and senate committees having jurisdiction over natural resources
    18.13that includes the number of crossbow deer season licenses issued under section 48 and
    18.14addresses whether there was an increase in poaching or other hunting problems during the
    18.15time a crossbow deer season was permitted.

From my take and the way it was explained to me is that bill HF 1241 was included into the omnibus Fish and Game bill(or whatever they call it). I've been trying to follow this dang thing and it's giving me a headache. Frickin politicians.

I will get clarification tomorrow on it all.
    TheMidwestHunter.com

Crossbow season the same as gun season???? I have no problem with this at all
    You'll Have That!!!!

From my take and the way it was explained to me is that bill HF 1241 was included into the omnibus Fish and Game bill(or whatever they call it). I've been trying to follow this dang thing and it's giving me a headache. Frickin politicians.

I will get clarification tomorrow on it all.
    This is a new one. Sounds like 1241 is dead in the water.
    Last edited by DougKMN; March 22nd, 2007 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DougKMN View Post
    A new bill has been introduced to create a separate season for crossbow hunting in MN with crossbows. This season would run from Rifle/Shotty opener through the ML season (essentially running parallel with Muzzleloaders)

More info can be found here:
    http://ros.leg.mn/revisor/pages/sear...6&ssn=0&y=2007

Please note, this is a HUNTING thread, not a crossbow thread, so yes, it belongs here.
    As long as the crossbowers don't get to hunt until rifle season that is fine with me.

Am I selfish? Probably, but I think the archery season should continue to belong to hunters that shoot bows.

This is a new one. Sounds like 1241 is dead in the water.
    Pretty much what I said previously. The HF1241 bill was moved into HF1116(the omnibus bill from what I understand). HF1241 said pretty much what this says. Just cleaned up a bit and now the season and dates were determined.

HF1241 some of what you see has been struck out. Check this link http://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/b...l&session=ls85

1.7 Section 1. Minnesota Statutes 2006, section 97B.035, subdivision 1, is amended to read:
    1.8 Subdivision 1. Hunting with bows released by mechanical devices Definition. (a)
    1.9A person may not hunt with For purposes of this chapter, hunting by "archery" or "archery
    1.10equipment" includes a bow drawn, held, or released by a mechanical device, except with a
    1.11disabled hunter permit issued under section 97B.106 or as provided in paragraph (b).
    1.12(b) A person may use a mechanical device attached to the bowstring if the person's
    1.13own strength draws, holds, and releases the bowstring.

HF1116

18.10 Sec. 49. CROSSBOW SEASON REPORT.
    18.11 By February 1, 2009, the commissioner of natural resources shall submit a report to
    18.12the chairs of the house and senate committees having jurisdiction over natural resources
    18.13that includes the number of crossbow deer season licenses issued under section 48 and
    18.14addresses whether there was an increase in poaching or other hunting problems during the
    18.15time a crossbow deer season was permitted.
    TheMidwestHunter.com

There are some other good changes suggested in this bill. Personally, I would like to see them lower the legal age for hunting big game, and I think allowing crossbows would be a mechanism for allowing it.

There are some other good changes suggested in this bill. Personally, I would like to see them lower the legal age for hunting big game, and I think allowing crossbows would be a mechanism for allowing it.

Where you come up with this stuff Doug...I just don't know. You just might have to move states before crossbows are legal during bow season and 6 yr olds are able to deer hunt with a rifle in MN.
    TheMidwestHunter.com

I have no problem whatsoever with allowing crossbows in the rifle and/or muzzleloader seasons. That's where they belong. So long as crossbows are not allowed in the archery season it's fine with me.
    Associate Member Pope & Young Club

Where you come up with this stuff Doug...I just don't know. You just might have to move states before crossbows are legal during bow season and 6 yr olds are able to deer hunt with a rifle in MN.

I'm talking about HF1116.

For example, the Outdoors access provision...

I also think that making opportunities for youngsters is a GOOD thing.

Crossbow during the rifle seasons,fine!

I also think that making opportunities for youngsters is a GOOD thing.
    And I'm talking about you wanting the age limit dropped so younger children can hunt big game!

I also want youngsters involved in the outdoors! Believe me. I have an almost 3 yr old and one due late June. But that's what pre-season scouting, post-season scouting, bird watching, plinking cans with a BB gun/.22, squirrel hunting, rabbit hunting, shed hunting, ginseng hunting, mushroom hunting, sitting in a deer/turkey blind, hanging stands, etc.... is ALL for. You know..the stuff most of us did when we were kids. No need to throw a gun in little Johnny's hands to get them hooked on the outdoors and to get them involved. Or how about fishing? Get the kids in the boat/on the ice and get some panfish in the bucket!!
    TheMidwestHunter.com

And I'm talking about you wanting the age limit dropped so younger children can hunt big game!

I also want youngsters involved in the outdoors! Believe me. I have an almost 3 yr old and one due late June. But that's what pre-season scouting, post-season scouting, bird watching, plinking cans with a BB gun/.22, squirrel hunting, rabbit hunting, shed hunting, ginseng hunting, mushroom hunting, sitting in a deer/turkey blind, hanging stands, etc.... is ALL for. You know..the stuff most of us did when we were kids. No need to throw a gun in little Johnny's hands to get them hooked on the outdoors and to get them involved. Or how about fishing? Get the kids in the boat/on the ice and get some panfish in the bucket!!
    I have an 8 year old nephew. I personally think he is old enough to responsibly hunt accompanied by a responsible adult. There was a thread here a while back where a 9 year old had killed his first buck. THe longer kids have to wait to get involved, the less likely they are to WANT to get involved IMO.

THe longer kids have to wait to get involved, the less likely they are to WANT to get involved IMO.
    Your obviously completely missing my point. Why do you feel that a child MUST have to big game hunt to get involved int the outdoors??

By your estimations, it's amazing any of us hunt today since we had to wait soooo long to kill a deer. It's all on the parents and their lifestyle. If hunting is in the family, it will be passed on. If hunting isn't in the family, the kids are most likely not going to hunt and it doesn't matter if 8 yr olds are able to hunt or not. That's the exact reason why hunter numbers are going down and why kids aren't getting into hunting. Couple that with sports and that's what you have today. But it's exactly the same with fishing. If dad doesn't fish, slim chances the kid is going to fish much at all unless he goes with his buds later on in high school.
    TheMidwestHunter.com

I have an 8 year old nephew. I personally think he is old enough to responsibly hunt accompanied by a responsible adult. There was a thread here a while back where a 9 year old had killed his first buck. THe longer kids have to wait to get involved, the less likely they are to WANT to get involved IMO.
    Good opinion.

That should be a parental decision.

There should be a law that they have to be in direct (able to take the gun from their hands) up to a certain age.

Other than that, let them hunt..

One step at a time......

Kids want to go after what daddy goes after. What does daddy get really excited about? Rabbits or a 10pt buck? Kids learn from us and want to do what we do. Xbows for kids beat lowering the poundage down to 30# or some such ridiculous level. Unless you're wanting to teach them about wounding deer right out of the gate. But there are those that are so against xbows that they would agree to anything to keep them out. The rules should allow you the parent to let your child hunt in the manner you feel is best.

After all that has been shown the anti people still do not get it. Shows what a powerful motivator greed is.

Kids in VA under 12 hunt for free as long as they are in direct supervision of an adult. This allows you some discretion depending on the kids maturity. It puts control in the hands of the parent where it belongs.
    Last edited by BigBirdVA; March 23rd, 2007 at 08:23 AM.

Your obviously completely missing my point. Why do you feel that a child MUST have to big game hunt to get involved int the outdoors??
    Because they will possibly hunting squirrels or get hung up on shooting turkeys.
    I have discovered there are two sides to every argument. First and foremost, is my side, then there is the side thatno reasonably intelligent,informed,sane, and self respecting person could possibly hold..Bob

Quote Originally Posted by BigBirdVA View Post
    Kids want to go after what daddy goes after. What does daddy get really excited about? Rabbits or a 10pt buck? Kids learn from us and want to do what we do. Xbows for kids beat lowering the poundage down to 30# or some such ridiculous level. Unless you're wanting to teach them about wounding deer right out of the gate. But there are those that are so against xbows that they would agree to anything to keep them out. The rules should allow you the parent to let your child hunt in the manner you feel is best.

After all that has been shown the anti people still do not get it. Shows what a powerful motivator greed is.

Kids in VA under 12 hunt for free as long as they are in direct supervision of an adult. This allows you some discretion depending on the kids maturity. It puts control in the hands of the parent where it belongs.
    It looks like you won't be making your way up to MN to live then. Dang! Sure could of used ya.
    TheMidwestHunter.com

It looks like you won't be making your way up to MN to live then. Dang! Sure could of used ya.
    No I'm very happy here living where decisions are left to me the parent, and people in the govt occasionally do get it right once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBirdVA View Post
    .............. and people in the govt occasionally do get it right once in a while.
    Unfortunately not very often......

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast