Can you have a Cape Buffalo Arrow that is too heavy...

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Can you have a Cape Buffalo Arrow that is too heavy...

Im in the process of prepping for a July 2017 Cape Buffalo hunt; e.g.
    Working out to increase my bow pulling weight, new 345fps IBO rated bow & selecting a broad head & arrow.... Fun Stuff!
    So, I've done a ton of research regarding the best BH/arrow combination. Several of the BH/arrows I've considered have failed in a real-world situation..
    I've discussed BH/arrow selection with a very helpful person from Bishop Archery & they are building some of the strongest BH's on the market. They are making BH's out of S7 and 41L40 tool steel, ranging in weight from 100-600gr.
    So if I go with a 600gr BH, 75gr insert and an Easton HaXX shaft & a 10" 2014 footer, total weight should be a little over 1000gr. The guys at Bishop Archery have field tested the aforementioned BH/arrow with great success.
    With my Halon 32-6 set at 65lbs, shooting the 1000gr arrow, should generate KE-85.25, MO-0.872 at about 196fps.
    The FOC on this setup should be over 30%. My concern here is to get enough penetration on a Cape Buff to get a human and rapped kill.
    Question for you guys that have bow hunted Cape Buffalo with a bow - What do you think of the above arrow/BH selection??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

Tagged for reference
    2015 Bowtech RPM 360@68.5lbs,truball release, Stokerized SS1 Stabilizer,Limb Driver Pro V rest,300 Victory Vap 522gr@25.5%FOC@249fps,175 gr Bishop Archery Scientific Method Bishop single bevel broadeahd, E-Z-V Sight

4. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

Contact Marty Thomas at Big Oak Bowhunting. He killed an elephant with a recurve and a 1200gr arrow. He can give you some info on his setup. I believe he sunk the arrow to the fletchings from 18yds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

"My concern here is to get enough penetration on a Cape Buff to get a human and rapped kill."
    I haven't shot a live buff YET, but I have shot a fresh buff shoulder through the scapula.
    654gr with 200 gr Cutthroat running 250fps went through the shoulder and the foam target behind it. I've also hunted in Africa
    a bunch of times with a PH friend of mine that's guided a ton of Buff hunts. We've talked about it a lot around the Boma and he
    likes a 750 -850gr arrow with a solid 2 blade(Cuttroat, VPA, Bishop type).
    I'm curious but, are the Hexx's spine at 330, strong enough for that much weight out front?
    Also, I could be wrong, but I use 2014's on my 5mm Axis. I'm not sure they'll fit on those hexx's.

I've decided to go with Bishop 315gr broad head. Ordered 6 a
    Few days ago.. not sure on arrows yet. I ordered a test pack of grizzklystik arrows. TAW with the 315gr BH will be 950gr..
    Will know more after I test arrow flight with the test pack arrows

Try also the GT Kinetic 200's with a 2014 alu. footer. Very solid.

Quote Originally Posted by c5ken View Post
    I've decided to go with Bishop 315gr broad head. Ordered 6 a
    Few days ago.. not sure on arrows yet. I ordered a test pack of grizzklystik arrows. TAW with the 315gr BH will be 950gr..
    Will know more after I test arrow flight with the test pack arrows
    Hello c5ken,

I am attempting my Cape buffalo bow hunt in April 2017. Coincidentally, I have decided on the Grizzlystik's with Bishop 315's as well. I have about 26% FOC.... The set-up flys well and hits hard. The total arrow weight with a lighted X-nock is right at 965 grains. I will be happy to let you know how the set-up performs.
    Warm regards, Dan Leahy
    US Limcroma Team member
    Hidden Content
    #954-328-6314