Aiming and the 15 yard drill - Page 4

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 76 to 95 of 95
  1. #76
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    23,420
    Quote Originally Posted by EPLC View Post
    Without feedback and personal assessment any training drill is just flinging arrows. I'm good at flinging arrows and not learning anything. I'm working to put an end to this very bad habit.
    Exactly. This is how most of us have reinforced bad habits...because we didn't do the preventative measures up front.

    Good job today.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobmuley View Post
    Exactly. This is how most of us have reinforced bad habits...because we didn't do the preventative measures up front.

    Good job today.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    X2. Good job Paul.
    Bowtech
    Tru Ball/Axcel
    Gold Tip/B-Stinger

  4. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #78
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    RI
    Posts
    8,322
    I was reminded at our weekend shoot that I have a long way to go before any of this is automatic. The release hand repositioning is still an issue but I think I now have a solution. I'm also dealing with lighting issues. My club has excellent lighting but some of the other local shoots have issues. It's like I need a different sight picture depending on where I shoot.
    More training this morning.
    "There's no universal way to shoot; this is how I shoot and I hope you can find yours - Good Luck" ~ Reo Wilde 2015

  6. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  7. #79
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Roch., NY
    Posts
    1,501
    Quote Originally Posted by EPLC View Post
    I was reminded at our weekend shoot that I have a long way to go before any of this is automatic. The release hand repositioning is still an issue but I think I now have a solution. I'm also dealing with lighting issues. My club has excellent lighting but some of the other local shoots have issues. It's like I need a different sight picture depending on where I shoot.
    More training this morning.
    This may seem obvious but i carry a couple different size apertures with me in case lighting is different. it paid off for me this weekend. Or is glare a problem?

  8. #80
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    va
    Posts
    18,827
    Quote Originally Posted by EPLC View Post
    I was reminded at our weekend shoot that I have a long way to go before any of this is automatic. The release hand repositioning is still an issue but I think I now have a solution. I'm also dealing with lighting issues. My club has excellent lighting but some of the other local shoots have issues. It's like I need a different sight picture depending on where I shoot.
    More training this morning.
    One range we shoot at has a bunch of different switches for the range and bale lights. Fortunately two switches cuts off one set of tubes in each of the fixtures so the lighting becomes "perfect". It's perfect in the sense that it's not too good and more closely replicates lighting at other ranges.

    Quote Originally Posted by nochance View Post
    This may seem obvious but i carry a couple different size apertures with me in case lighting is different. it paid off for me this weekend. Or is glare a problem?
    Same here............
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PSE Decree, Xpression 3D
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Stan ShootOff and Sable releases
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  9. #81
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    RI
    Posts
    8,322
    Quote Originally Posted by nochance View Post
    This may seem obvious but i carry a couple different size apertures with me in case lighting is different. it paid off for me this weekend. Or is glare a problem?
    This particular club has the new LED tubes going both across and length wise with strips on both sides empty. There is nothing to mute these and the glare for me was really messing up my sight picture. I think Ray-Bans would have helped but unfortunately I did not have mine with me. Still, this tends to be an issue for me in various clubs or pro shops. In this particular club I warmed up on a middle lane where the lighting was more even and I was dealing with it ok. During the shoot I shot from the left end position and had the glare coming in from the right. That said; it was the last shoot this year for that particular club so I won't have to deal with it until next season.
    This morning I wasn't happy with my hold at all. I went to a 18" back bar with less weight and it just wasn't working out at all. Felt like a broken gyro or two like poles coming together. I'm going to work on my back bar situation.
    "There's no universal way to shoot; this is how I shoot and I hope you can find yours - Good Luck" ~ Reo Wilde 2015

  10. #82
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    RI
    Posts
    8,322
    On 2/27 I started the revised version of my drill, shooting perfect games regardless of the number of arrows it takes. The problem I've encountered with this exercise is the counting of zeros which adds a negative to the mental process. As a result my thinking is shifting once again to score... even though the method of scoring has changed to the number of arrows it takes to achieve the goal. I'm going to eliminate the zero from the drill and only count X/10's until the goal has been reached. I can still keep track of how I'm doing with a time based system but the goal of a perfect game will be the main focus.
    "There's no universal way to shoot; this is how I shoot and I hope you can find yours - Good Luck" ~ Reo Wilde 2015

  11. #83
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    23,420
    Quote Originally Posted by EPLC View Post
    On 2/27 I started the revised version of my drill, shooting perfect games regardless of the number of arrows it takes. The problem I've encountered with this exercise is the counting of zeros which adds a negative to the mental process. As a result my thinking is shifting once again to score... even though the method of scoring has changed to the number of arrows it takes to achieve the goal. I'm going to eliminate the zero from the drill and only count X/10's until the goal has been reached. I can still keep track of how I'm doing with a time based system but the goal of a perfect game will be the main focus.
    Hash marks or arrow holes in the target would work for keeping a "running score".
    The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard

  12. #84
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    RI
    Posts
    8,322
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobmuley View Post
    Hash marks or arrow holes in the target would work for keeping a "running score".
    Yes, that would work but I have this nice little app for keeping track
    "There's no universal way to shoot; this is how I shoot and I hope you can find yours - Good Luck" ~ Reo Wilde 2015

  13. #85
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    RI
    Posts
    8,322
    Removing the arrow count should create more focus on each shot. For 15 yards or less I will score only the baby X, for 20 I'll score X/10. Misses will not be scored or counted and will have no value.
    Yesterday was gym day so I haven't actually started this yet.
    "There's no universal way to shoot; this is how I shoot and I hope you can find yours - Good Luck" ~ Reo Wilde 2015

  14. #86
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    RI
    Posts
    8,322
    I've shot at least one round a day since my last post and am finding this drill very helpful. Due to the feedback I'm getting I've discovered an alignment issue that had creeped back into my setup. Not long ago I'd increased my DL significantly but found I was still not aligned directly behind the arrow on the release side. This was discovered with someone doing a video from behind and above. I had to increase my loop to a ridiculously long 1 1/2" inside measurement to get there. While seemingly strange, it does get me behind the arrow and is very comfortable. I'm currently running 28 3/8" DL with this very long loop. Sunday evening it felt really solid in my basement but I did not shoot yesterday as it was workout day... and today I'm resting from it... and the movement of a ton of snow.
    Another issue I'm having is my workout recovery needs. If I shoot the day after workouts I'm not recovered enough to make my best shots. This eats into my "quality" shooting but I still do it. I don't have much choice as there are only so many days in the week. Getting older isn't for sissies.
    "There's no universal way to shoot; this is how I shoot and I hope you can find yours - Good Luck" ~ Reo Wilde 2015

  15. #87
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    336
    EPLC, sometimes I think we tend to overthink this whole thing... Lately I've just been keeping it as simple as "PUT IT IN THE MIDDLE AND EXECUTE A CLEAN RELEASE". My float varies from day to day, but my scores really don't. There are little things in the set up to chase better float and a more forgiving shot, but if the arrow hits behind the pin what more could we ask for? Keep it simple...
    The Spot Archery-Fresno, Ca.
    PSE Bows
    T.R.U Ball/Axcel
    AAE
    60X Custom Strings - Hidden Content

  16. #88
    An interesting thing about the spots game is that most people have really busy minds, meaning that if you don’t have specific tasks for your thoughts, your mind will find its own things to focus on unintentionally. It happens a lot when you start shooting really well and lose focus on each individual shot. You allow other thoughts into your mind. I like to call those “squirrel!!” moments.

    Although I’ve said many times that you need to keep it as simple as possible, I’m referring specifically to the physical manipulation part of the shot process. I believe you still have to coach yourself through every shot. For me it is as simple as actively thinking instructions based on what my sight picture is telling me.

    Example: “It’s moving too much. Tighten up on the back end and relax your bow hand. Okay, there it is, now pull through. Keep pulling, keep pulling……..” At any time during that process, if the dot moves out, I have to reset, or let down. I try to actively have those thoughts like conversations in my mind. Never think thoughts like, “don’t hold low”, or “don’t bow arm it this time.” That’s a sure way to repeat the bad shot you just made on the previous arrow. I’ve done it many times. Tell yourself what TO DO, instead of what NOT to do.

    When you start thinking about your score, questioning your bow set up, or the color your wife wants to paint the bedroom ceiling, during the shot process, you will shoot a bad shot. Then you’ll ask yourself what the heck you were thinking about that for, instead of focusing on the shot. It’s because your mind wants to be busy. Give it something specific to do EVERY shot.

    There may be some people out there that can shoot very well with a more passive mental approach, but I think most people need to actively participate in the shot process. Think about those other things between shots, but devote that ten seconds from full draw to release to a very specific instruction. It can be very hard to do 30-60 times consecutively without letting one slip.
    Bowtech
    Tru Ball/Axcel
    Gold Tip/B-Stinger

  17. #89
    edit- double post
    Bowtech
    Tru Ball/Axcel
    Gold Tip/B-Stinger

  18. #90
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    23,420
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrunson View Post
    An interesting thing about the spots game is that most people have really busy minds, meaning that if you don’t have specific tasks for your thoughts, your mind will find its own things to focus on unintentionally. It happens a lot when you start shooting really well and lose focus on each individual shot. You allow other thoughts into your mind. I like to call those “squirrel!!” moments.

    Although I’ve said many times that you need to keep it as simple as possible, I’m referring specifically to the physical manipulation part of the shot process. I believe you still have to coach yourself through every shot. For me it is as simple as actively thinking instructions based on what my sight picture is telling me.

    Example: “It’s moving too much. Tighten up on the back end and relax your bow hand. Okay, there it is, now pull through. Keep pulling, keep pulling……..” At any time during that process, if the dot moves out, I have to reset, or let down. I try to actively have those thoughts like conversations in my mind. Never think thoughts like, “don’t hold low”, or “don’t bow arm it this time.” That’s a sure way to repeat the bad shot you just made on the previous arrow. I’ve done it many times. Tell yourself what TO DO, instead of what NOT to do.

    When you start thinking about your score, questioning your bow set up, or the color your wife wants to paint the bedroom ceiling, during the shot process, you will shoot a bad shot. Then you’ll ask yourself what the heck you were thinking about that for, instead of focusing on the shot. It’s because your mind wants to be busy. Give it something specific to do EVERY shot.

    There may be some people out there that can shoot very well with a more passive mental approach, but I think most people need to actively participate in the shot process. Think about those other things between shots, but devote that ten seconds from full draw to release to a very specific instruction. It can be very hard to do 30-60 times consecutively without letting one slip.
    You should've double posted. It's worthy.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard

  19. #91
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    RI
    Posts
    8,322
    I found my shot. It's a good one but I find I can only repeat it for a short before I loose the feel. I was able to string a bunch of these together so I do know the feel and can repeat it. The issue is maintaining it for longer periods. The mistake I've made in the past is that I continue shooting after loosing the feel and end up shooting more bad shots trying to find "it" again. This is counterproductive.
    "There's no universal way to shoot; this is how I shoot and I hope you can find yours - Good Luck" ~ Reo Wilde 2015

  20. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by EPLC View Post
    I found my shot. It's a good one but I find I can only repeat it for a short before I loose the feel. I was able to string a bunch of these together so I do know the feel and can repeat it. The issue is maintaining it for longer periods. The mistake I've made in the past is that I continue shooting after loosing the feel and end up shooting more bad shots trying to find "it" again. This is counterproductive.
    That's another interesting thing I've discovered with my own shooting. It's a string of progressive (or digressive) variables. Our bodies are naturally lazy. Or rather, we tend to avert stresses and strain naturally to minimize the work our muscles need to perform. What that means is, we get mild pain or fatigue feeling when we repeat motions continually. Our natural reaction is to find a way to reduce or eliminate that feeling by relaxing those muscles even while trying to perform the same work. Our bodies fight what we want them to do.

    How do we manage to get that same shot through the warm up, through the higher strength, and then the greater fatigue parts of a game? That's the million dollar question if you ask me.

    The easy answer is longer rest between shots. That does help, but there are still some limits when you bring the clock into your game. The one I've been working on is adaptation. Understanding what is causing the issues you are having when they are happening and then actively trying to remedy them on the fly. It always comes down to the question, "is it holding good?" and if not, "what can I do to get it there?" That may justify stopping midway through a scoring round and experimenting with holding and letting down to try some different things like more or less back tension, faster acquisition, slower execution, or whatever your sight picture is telling you needs to happen, right then, when you are struggling to get that shot you know is possible.

    Think about your body and how it naturally deals with physical strain. It's really difficult to focus on a soft, smooth shot when your arms are burning. It's also hard to relax when your strength is greater and little movements translate to big pin movement. You have to learn what your body needs to do in those situations to get your sight picture to look how it is supposed to.
    Bowtech
    Tru Ball/Axcel
    Gold Tip/B-Stinger

  21. #93
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    RI
    Posts
    8,322
    I still need to come up with a happy medium between the workouts and shooting. Yesterday I was just too not recovered to shoot and today I still felt the effect. Still I shot both days, but limited yesterday. I hadn't shot ant scoring rounds in practice for a while now so today I wanted to change things up a bit so I scored some Vegas 300 rounds. I'm beginning to wonder how many variations of a 289 I can shoot consecutively
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    "There's no universal way to shoot; this is how I shoot and I hope you can find yours - Good Luck" ~ Reo Wilde 2015

  22. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by EPLC View Post
    I still need to come up with a happy medium between the workouts and shooting. Yesterday I was just too not recovered to shoot and today I still felt the effect. Still I shot both days, but limited yesterday. I hadn't shot ant scoring rounds in practice for a while now so today I wanted to change things up a bit so I scored some Vegas 300 rounds. I'm beginning to wonder how many variations of a 289 I can shoot consecutively
    You gave back 33 points in those three rounds, 26 of those points were on the third arrow... Why?

  23. #95
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    RI
    Posts
    8,322
    They were not always on the 3rd arrow. I scored each end high score to low. It would be more meaningful if I scored in the order shot. I think I'll start doing that.
    "There's no universal way to shoot; this is how I shoot and I hope you can find yours - Good Luck" ~ Reo Wilde 2015

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



 
replycount: 94