Small John Deere tractor for food plots?

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Small John Deere tractor for food plots?

http://www.deere.com/en_US/products/...-special-offer

Would this tractor work for small food plots? I'm in a situation of going halves with my parents on a new lawn mower. It has to be new, has to be John Deere, and has to be able to mow lawn for them to chip in.

Please share opinions, or recommend me something else from Deere. I actually would be ok if I could find a mower bigger then 62", but not bigger then 72".

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

Very nice! People work food plots with a lot less. I had a Kubota with about the same hp and it was taxed pulling a four gang disc. I'm running 38 hp now and couldn't ask for more....don't need more. Here's the thing, though, nobody ever got in the field and said, "Gee I wish I had less horsepower!"

4. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

You need to define "Small"?

Would I want to do a 2acre plot with that... probably not, could it, sure... If your talking about a small "kill plot" absolutely.

6. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

I have the same 2000 series JD, just a few years older. I use a 50" tiller and do approximately 3/4-1 acre in plots each year. Works like a champ, when I'm on my tractor it's not about speed...I enjoy it. I have a 60" belly mower for lawn duty. I wanted a 3000 series but my storage opening dictated otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Prime Archery & Boykin Spaniels

http://www.deere.com/en_US/products/...38r-my17.page?

I am now looking closer at the 30hp pto/38hp engine 2038r model. I can get a new one with 72" mower for 23500 out the door.

#1 use is to mow lawn. #2 use is food plots, hope it can pull a 6.5' King Kutter box frame plow. (850lbs)

Does anyone know if these do ok at mowing lawn, and will I be able to increase my mowing speed over a 60" rider?

Thanks

A 60" zero turn will mow faster. My Dad leaves his JD parked and will borrow my brothers Hustler mower if he is in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by WEATHERBY460 View Post
    http://www.deere.com/en_US/products/...38r-my17.page?

I am now looking closer at the 30hp pto/38hp engine 2038r model. I can get a new one with 72" mower for 23500 out the door.

#1 use is to mow lawn. #2 use is food plots, hope it can pull a 6.5' King Kutter box frame plow. (850lbs)

Does anyone know if these do ok at mowing lawn, and will I be able to increase my mowing speed over a 60" rider?

Thanks
    I have the 5.5' king cutter that I pull with my 36 hp Mahindra. It pulls it but I have trouble keeping up the speed if I am going uphill. As for cutting grass i can't help you there. I used a 27 Hp cub cadet lawn tractor with a 54" deck.

Good luck.

This older 955 will do about all I ask of it. I have never pulled a small disc with it though. I have a larger tractor and wheel disc for breaking ground. But a five foot rototiller is all you need unless you plots are real large.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ....................Sent via Overland Pony Express.............

"We've upped our standards.............up yours!"

More 955. With a 72" belly mower I can mow pretty fast, but usually use a 60" zero turn Grasshopper. Around trees and ponds and flower beds, the Grasshopper outperforms the baby Deere.
    You can get so many three point toys for a small tractor, it will do lots of work for you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ....................Sent via Overland Pony Express.............

"We've upped our standards.............up yours!"

I think this could work nicely if you are not looking at doing a lot of acres. Are you just planning on broadcasting seed? How will you work up the ground? Not sure how well it would pull a heavy 6 foot disc, but you could use a tiller. I have a 45 hp tractor on my 6 foot King Kutter disc and I'm not sure I would want to use anything much smaller.

That's a nice drill. What model number is it?