a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Bear Takedown, worth it??

Bear Takedown, worth it??

Already hooked line and sinker boys.. My second favorite hobby now, can't wait to start making my own arrows.. Gonna be a ways down the road but I am already looking at other bows.. I've been looking at the bear takedowns, does anyone have one and think they're worth the money?? The reason I ask is I've seen the Black Widow posts the last couple of days and checked out their website.. I like the try one out deal they have.. Also it will be custom, made just for me.. What are your thoughts.. Catch ya lata..

Martin Takedown #50 @ 28"
    Martin Takedown #60 @ 28"

No skil ever worth gaining, was easy to come by.. Discipline!

You didn't say which bear takedown your looking at i'm not a expert
    but i know of two, one has a limb bolt design the other has a lever type
    flip over design where the limbs stay attached to bow they are over priced
    in my opinion but iv'e never shot one.I shot the limb bolt type nothing
    special shot good though! there is no way i would fork out a grand for my first bow however ,there are too many good used bows for sale for under 500.00 I can put you in touch with the guy that had the limb bolt
    bear takedown i think he was asking about 250.00 if interested!

not buying yet...

just looking for feedback is all, can't afford one yet.. I have two to play with as it is.. I think it's the levr type.. whatever the new ones are and I think they're the lever type.. thanks, any more input appreciated..

Just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

I don't consider myself an old timer in this sport, but I'm not exactly new to it either. I have around 15 years experience, shooting hundreds of different bows, and owning 100 or so.

Comparing apples to apples (collector value, exotic woods, etc. not taken into consideration) as far as stability, speed, handshock, forgiveness, etc.--the things that count to me--there's not much difference in the better bows, even when the price of some is triple or more of those in the lower price range. I have shot several (and owned a few) very expensive bows that were nice, and others I didn't care for at all. The adage "you get what you pay for" doesn't always apply to bows, unless you are intentionally paying for a name/emblem/advertising/etc.

Some I shot were good bows, just not the bow for me. Others had me scratching my head wondering how they sold at all--but again, that's just me.

As for the new Bear bows, I haven't shot a new td but based on the other new Bears I've shot I rather have one of the old models. IMO Martin makes the best production bows on the market, but with their price increases you can get a custom for the same money or less.

Chad
    Support the Future of Archery--Support the NASP

Bear T/Ds Forever !!!

Iím a bit of a Bear T/D fan. There is a lot to like about the bow and only one thing I can think of not to like. Not to like: the price Ė itís always been a spendy bow. I bought my first two Bear take-downs, Custom Kodiak green stripes to you old timers, from the local pro-shop in 1983 and 1984 for $355 and $365, as I recall. In comparison, I bought my first Black Widow MA from the same shop in 1985 for $385 or so (I think it was í85 Ė anniversary model). The Bear T/D collectorís signature edition was available at about that time for $995 and I declined because it seemed way too spendy and wasnít a hunter Ė sure wish Iíd bought a dozen of them. Anyway, the Bear T/D is one of the few t/ds where the riser is more expensive than the limbs. I visited the factory in Florida a few times and was told that the riser is expensive to make and there is not good way to automate it due to a metal strengthening rod that spans the riser top to bottom, which is the reason for some of the stabilizing weight. Hence, the price is high and it keeps going up. If you think itís expensive today, just check the price tomorrow.

The Bear T/D feels and shoots very well for me. I really like the narrow grip which is similar to a FITA type grip and have never found a custom bowyer who would/could duplicate it. Itís a true no-tool take down with no loose parts to get lost. Itís a matter of opinion but Iíve found it to be very handy from time to time. I recall a very dark night in southeast Alaska when I arrowed a large black bear but other bears kept me in my stand well into the night. I did a push-pull on the T/D, disassembled it and stored it all in my back quiver. I was able to bushwhack out through the inky black with a .44 in my hands instead of a bow. Probably silly but it seemed important at the time. The Bear is no speed demon but shoots well for me, which seems vastly more important. Lastly, the Bear T/D has lots of history. Fred reportedly felt it was his crowning achievement. This sort of thing is worth more to some than others. I prefer the wood B riser and longer #3 limbs, the latter are only available from 3-Rivers. I donít know why anyone would bother with the A riser (LOL Ė some folks are sooo opinionated) and would give several rubles for an old wood C riser in good functional condition for target shooting (hint).

You mentioned Black Widow; I like their MA riser recurves too. They have always been both a tad more expensive and faster. The standard grip feels almost as good as the Bear grip. You canít go wrong with either. Iíve never really been able to make up my mind which I like more and itís cost me a bundle over the years. So, you may want to try one but not the other. Good luck with that.

I chronographed my 3 favorite bows in the mid-eighties which seemed pretty hi-tech at the time. I shot the same stiff 540 grain Port Orford cedars out of all three bows with my 28Ē draw. 540 grains was a magic weight at the time for reasons that escape me now but I made a dozen of them that were right on the money. My 60Ē, 70# Bear shot a consistent 180 fps, my 64Ē, 76# BW MA shot 200 fps and my 68Ē, 71# Strunk longbow (Thumper) shot an amazing, to me, 213 fps on the average. Thumper, by the by, lived a short but eventful life. I took a Kodiak brown bear with it and a POC arrow at spine tingling range on Shuyak Island. Unfortunately the bow developed a crack and I sent it back to itís maker for replacement. You donít know what you have Ďtil itís gone. Alas, John Strunk no longer makes laminated longbows.

Sorry for the long post and digressions Ö but it was fun and you asked.

Sounds like good opinions...

Really like what I heard from the postings.. Sounds like I otta find someone with a newer style Bear TD in the area and see what it feels like to shoot. Then try a black widow on the try it out deal they have and see which I like better.. Sounds like from you guys both bows are great bows to shoot it's just a matter of preference.. But that's good to hear I have to do some actual shooting to make the final decision... I'm having a great time with my Martin already tho.. With the few post I've done and the websites I've researched it's already starting to shoot better. I think the arrows are alittle overspined by the charts but I had great success this afternoon and was starting to group better and more consistently.. Appreciate the great help and wisdom of this post.. I'll check back later!!!

Martin Takedown #50 @ 28"
    Martin Takedown #60 @ 28"

No skill ever worth gaining, was easy to come by.. Discipline!

I just read Chad's (LBR) post and largely agree with him. I've shot a number of recurves, custom and production, and really couldn't tell much performance difference amongst them. The Martin Hatfield will shoot right along with the Bear T/D at half the price. I have custom bows that will shoot the socks off my Black Widows but at some cost. There are differences but you really have to figure them out for yourself. I occassionally shoot with a grumpy old guy that prefers a Hatfield - yeah, he's cheap too - could be Chad but he's too old. We exchange bows from time to time and argue about if the lithe Bear grip is better or worse than the thick 4X4 grip that is the Hatfield. Oddly enough, we are/were never able to agree and he keeps on shooting his Hatfield and I my Bear T/D. I'll see if he's come to his senses once the snow is gone but I have my doubts. My truly fast recurves are not really stable with somewhat springy limbs that I don't trust in heavy brush or at times when I'm suffering acute performance anxiety.
    Last edited by AKRuss; April 11th, 2007 at 05:20 PM.

Chad, I'm baiting you ... I'm in the tree behind you, LOL ...

Hey--I ain't cheap, I'm frugal! (this coming from a guy that has more invested in string material that most folks have invested in a bow--a LOT more than many)

Chad
    Support the Future of Archery--Support the NASP

I have had my Bear takedown for 10 years now. I also shoot longbows which I may never master. Come hunting time and out comes my Bear. I have 3 sets of limbs including a set of #3`s which I do like very much. I had a Blackwidow for some years also. The Bear just feels better in my hand. The widow was to fat in the handle. Now this Bear has a slightly larger handle than my 1973 Super K (Bear) but It "feels" right.
    No matter the cost or hype if the bow does not fit my hand right it will not shoot good for me. Try as many bows as you can is the best advice any of us can give. Oh yes, I have found that Bear`s love heavy arrows.
    Good luck in you quest, Tom

John Strunk Bows

Hi , I read your post about your John Strunk Bow, i was always kind of curious as to if he made laminate bows, id be interested in any pictures if you happen to have one, its unfortunate that it broke ...
    Anyhow i have met John a few times at the Longbow safari, he puts on a bow building seminar , i think next year i might sign up for it.
    I didnt know how "known" john is.
    nice guy

tried one. liked the handle. seems nice. found something i liked better, then found something that i liked more than that. it is a highly personal thing. you know only after comparison, and some experience, what will crank your gears for you..

i think i read somewhere that you could have border make limbs to fit that riser. that might prove interesting.

You can pick up a Fred Bear Custom take down used in the 500.00 to 600.00 range [The one with the latches]. One thing about the Bear is you can use the limbs either rom Grayling era or Gainsville or have custom limbs made. My friend has a older Martin takedown and was told that they changed the limb design and no limbs advable. This was a few years ago, I dont know what Martin does now. My advice is to shoot if possible to see which one you really like.

If it was the bubinga takedown from last year I would say maybe but the dyed maple this year I just don't think so. I had a bubinga A riser and wish I still had it but I am not impressed with the photos I have seen of this years builds. They are a nice enough bow. I don't think they are on par with a black widow with not being cut past center on the riser and wood material used being what it is currently. Just small things like that. Of course the black widow will cost you about a third more at least likely more than that so there is that. If you get a widow I am sure you won't wind up being disappointed. The Bear you might love or you might not hard to say.
    <+><

The Bear Takedown was my dream bow --- which hurt 'cause I was really wanting one just when they were discontinuing the Bear Takedown Supreme and before they began making them again.

I consider myself quite fortunate to've lucked into one on a trade, and it's one of my most favourite things. Reasons for this:

- no tools required, no time spent fiddling w/ limb bolts --- I can have mine out, assembled and strung before my son is done assembling his PSE Buckeye w/ limb bolts
    - same beautiful, elegant lines as a one-piece bow --- looks just like a Kodiak one-piece, just more high-tech
    - shoots better than I can --- but that probably holds true for any bow.... nifty story 'bout someone using one for a competition and getting an all-but perfect score.

I'd really like to get some more limbs for mine....
    --
    Bear Custom Kodiak T/D (green stripe) B-handle w/ #1 limbs (50#). Carbon Express Heritage 150 arrows w/ 100gr. bullet points, Carbon Express Nativ broadheads, G5 Small Game heads.

If that is what you like, then by all means go for it. But if it were my $800 that bow would not even be on the list....for exactly what the last sentence of WillAdams post states. A set of limbs will be $350, finding them on the classifieds is not likely.
    A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. - S. Pope