Team #2 - "Time 2 Win" - Page 6

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Awesome dosse!!!! I called one in for a guy this morning and he missed him at 11 yards. Maybe one of these days I'll call one in for me!
    2016 Elite Victory 37, 28.75in, 65lb, GoldTip X-Cutter, GoldTip Velocity XT, Bodoodle Pro Lite II, CBE Vertex and Tek Hybrid, B-Stinger Premier Plus, Scott Backspin, Scott Sigma
    Aim Small....Miss Small....Have FUN!!!! Its Just A Game!!Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

Well I've called in 8 ticks so far.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Obsession Sniper Lt "DA Hammer" Dixon Built 28.5, 60#
    Obsession Delta 6 Dixon Built 28.5, 60#
    Black Gold Ascent Ambush
    Back Eagle Rampage 350 425gr

4. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

I saw a lone hen at 1230. Nothing since. I'll sit til about 5.

"Life is fragile, handle with prayer."

6. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

I got to Kansas Monday at lunch, and on my first evenings hunt I called in a gobbler and got him with my shotgun. I decided after that, my second tag was going on a bow bird or coming home in my pocket. Tuesday morning I called up two jakes that came to the decoy. This was my first ever chance with my bow and I waited patiently for an opportunity to draw while the bird was facing me at 7 yards. He wouldn't ever turn and then got tired of things and started leaving. I drew and tried him walking angled away at 15-20 yards and cut feathers off the top of his back. Just barely too high! It really fired me up though. That eve was a bust so I decided to try a new area where I haven't hunted before because I saw 3 strutting jakes and another group of hens in the field riding around the day before. I walked in at 520 and set up near where I saw the jakes and heard a few gobbling but none right on me like I had hoped. After fly down I had a bird answer and a few minutes later the three jakes came out 150 yards south of me and had several hens. I got aggressive with them hoping they would see the decoys and come investigate but the hens went the opposite way and they followed. 10 min later I was playing on my phone and leaned forward a little in my chair and there is a strutter 20 yards away coming from behind me to my left. He hadn't made a peep all morning and was silently approaching the decoys. He came in to the hen and then moved to the jake. I was patient and he eventually gave me the back of his fan. When he did, I drew back and put it right on his tail pipe and pulled through the shot. He was only 7-8 yards and the arrow hit perfect. He went ten yards and was down for the count. I have wanted to accomplish this goal for years and I am still so excited to get it done. Hopefully he is the first of many more! 21.5 pounds, both Spurs 1 1/16, and a 9 inch even beard. Providing several pics and my self timer hero shot!

A look from where he went out back to my set up. He knocked the dsd off the stick at the shot

First pic I took after it was over.

Spur pic

WTG, man! He's a beauty. I'm back at it this morning. Steady rain has subsided and I'll sit til I can't stand it any longer today.

0720. Raining again. It's cold and wet but I just had 2 hens go by. Where's the tom? Or even a Jake right now... The first one showed zero interest in the decoys just walked on by. The second was curious but more cautious. Rain is beginning to come through the blind. I won't be dealing with that for long. It needs to stop.

Congrats dosse! Great bird.

Hoyt Carbon Element G3, G5 Optix Sights, Hoyt Ultra Rest, Scott Release, Beman MFX 400 arrows, NAP Spitfire 100 grain

Keep after it bones. Every bird I saw this year had no use or desire for any of my decoys. They skirted them or they just ignored them completely.

Hoyt Carbon Element G3, G5 Optix Sights, Hoyt Ultra Rest, Scott Release, Beman MFX 400 arrows, NAP Spitfire 100 grain

Just saw another hen. 50 yards away running away from my dekes! That's no fun!

Dosse that's a helluva bird! I'm finally back out. Terrible am, I'm under the weather and cough med knocked me out. Got out a bit late only to see my decoys are not in my truck. Walked back in a mile to last nights set and nothing. So I believe I put them down on the side of the road, packed up, everything but my dekes. Had to drive to my brothers to borrow his. I'm over it... good luck to who's ever out!

Obsession Sniper Lt "DA Hammer" Dixon Built 28.5, 60#
    Obsession Delta 6 Dixon Built 28.5, 60#
    Black Gold Ascent Ambush
    Back Eagle Rampage 350 425gr

Good luck everyone! I was glad to get it done before that bad weather rolled in.

Bones, I encountered several hens the last couple of days and they all avoided my decoys like the plague. But the males seemed to respond pretty well.

That ain't good hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by dosse View Post
    Bones, I encountered several hens the last couple of days and they all avoided my decoys like the plague. But the males seemed to respond pretty well.
    That's what I'm hoping!

Had a flock of jakes come in. I let them pass. When they came back, I decided to take one. Here's what I know. I drew and aimed. I was a rock! I ducked the safety off on the Sweet Spot. I aimed solidly without any panic. I pulled through and kathunk. What kind of sound was that? The Jake jumped up and came back down staring my way. I had no idea, zero, nada where that arrow went. He walked off with the others and we both wondered wth just happened. I was recording the shot so I started playing it back. Over and over til I finally saw the arrow coming in towards him from a high angle and SIDEWAYS!! I'm sure that's what I'm seeing but will look at it on my computer tonight. Before i shot the arrow had come unnocked and I'm thinking when I put it back on, I must have knocked it above the d loop? Idk. Or else it wasn't on the rest, maybe caught between the rest and the riser? I haven't got a clue. BUT, like I said, I know my execution was awesome and for that I'm grateful! Craziest thing ever. I'm glad it wasn't a dryfire and that he wasn't hurt. I didn't want a Jake anyway!

I think I figured it out. I believe the string hit the arm rest on this chair. I've drawn a hundred times in here the last 2 days but I think I was leaning back and to my right and that's what happened. Unreal. I knew I should put them down but it's so much more comfortable with them up.

Beautiful morning! Wish I had more than 4 hours to stay today. I need to go to work at noon.

Nice bird, dosse! Good luck guys and keep up the good work. Ready to see some more birds!
    Elite Enthusiast
    Valor Outdoors Field Staff

2 stills from the video yesterday. The arrow came out from a high angle and was sideways in flight and when it hit the jake! I will try to edit the video and post it later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00043.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	162.4 KB 
ID:	5833033   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00044.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	156.1 KB 
ID:	5833041  

I went to my place this morning at home and got it done on the bird I have been hunting all year! Crazy how something has taken me years to do happened now on two straight hunts. I'm. It sure if this one will beat my Kansas bird But this one is a stud. The hunt was awesome. Had 6 jakes and a hen in the decoys for nearly ten min and the gobbler was approaching from behind. The jakes ran to him
    And he ran them off and then came on almost a jog straight to my Dave smith jake and offered me the same shot straight up the back. I hit him slightly low and his body was angled so it exited the opposite side breast under the wing. I watched him run nearly 200 yards and hit the woods. I was concerned and took my time. Ended up blood trailing him on hands and knees until he crossed a road to give me confidence that I knew his direction of travel. Went on a body search and found him laying in some pines. I bet he went 400 yards. I was so thankful to find him and that fear of losing him made the recovery that much sweeter. This one meant a lot

That is an awesome tracking job dosse! Congratulations!
    I'm at work this afternoon but tomorrow will be another all day hunt. I must get it done tomorrow! I don't want to have to get up at 0345 anymore!

Here he is, with some other pics from the hunt. Was a great morning for sure.

Looks like he will out score my first bird. He had broken spur tips. But one is still 1.25 or 1 5/16ths other is broken off at 1 inch. He had a long beard though at 10.75, weight was 18 pounds. I just put him in the better link both ways and he at least scores 62. So I will replace my Kansas bird with him

Nice! And you to pics before you shot him?! That takes some nads! I run the video camera but once it's on em I forget about it til it's over.

Haha oh no that was some jakes that came in right before him. It was all bow once he commited lol I was a little off on my initial measurements. But he did end up at 61 and some change. He has been entered. Good luck to everyone. That should be the end of my season. If I find another I'm gonna try and get my wife on him. My season really changed gears this week. It's been awesome.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast