Iron will, Exodus and hunor broadhead test

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Iron will, Exodus and hunor broadhead test

After several attempts and much editing I finally got the video done. I'm not very tech savvy so there was definitely a learning curve to get the videos done and cut down under 15 minutes. I originally was trying to do it in one video but I couldnít get what I wanted in the video in that time frame.

Here is a quick rundown of what I did for testing (long range, large cow leg bone, double 16ga steel plates)
    first was long range test, this was done at 80 yards. I ended up having to shoot a couple times before I felt I shot a group that showed what the broadheads could do.
    both the Iron Will and the Exodus flew great at every shot (I did not)
    The hunor head did not fly as well and was left of the target at almost every shot, even when I felt I shot a good arrow.
    The exodus held up to the bone and steel plate like I expected it to and showed me yet again that it is one of the toughest heads on the market
    I didnít shoot the Iron Will head well on the bone and it ended up bending at the threads (shooting an axis arrow with HIT inserts). I didnít want to throw that much money down range again so I didnít shoot it again that day, this is where part 2 of the test comes in. After speaking with Bill from Iron Will he thought I would be impressed if I retested it on the bone so I did and I was.
    This time it held up great to both the bone and steel plates. out penetrating the exodus (not by much but it did)
    the hunor head didnít hold up well to either the bone or the steel plate.

Sorry this has taken me so long to get up here, but I hope it helps anyone looking at these heads. I would not hesitate to shoot either the exodus or the Iron Will broadheads. Both are very quality heads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXHTeIP_R1E
    https://youtu.be/Fv7GyW1WbPQ

2. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

That's good news.
    I shot exodus last fall with very good results. And I have bought some Iron Will heads for a September moose hunt.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

And the exodus has a bigger cutting diameter?

6. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by chaded View Post
    And the exodus has a bigger cutting diameter?
    I believe this is correct. the Iron will is 1 1/16" I think and the exodus is 1 1/4"

Quote Originally Posted by nontypical225 View Post
    I believe this is correct. the Iron will is 1 1/16" I think and the exodus is 1 1/4"
    Correct, pick your medicine
    Deeper and narrower hole or shallower wider hole.
    These are both VG heads in my view. I have used the exodous and am testing the IW.

Is the exodus a good choice at 29"/55lbs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Boxerboxer View Post

Yes, I think that the exodous would work fine in your set up.

That is a little disappointing seeing that ferrule bend like that especially when you can get 8 exodus for the price of 3 of those iron will heads.

I would like to see a bishop head tested head to head. See if that tool steel is what its hyped up to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxerboxer View Post

Either one would work great. My son is shooting an exodus right now at 55 pounds and 27.5" draw. That said I think I will be switching him to the the iron will. I do believe a cut on contact will give him better penetration. And with iron wills warranty I can't go wrong

Quote Originally Posted by enkriss View Post
    That is a little disappointing seeing that ferrule bend like that especially when you can get 8 exodus for the price of 3 of those iron will heads.

I would like to see a bishop head tested head to head. See if that tool steel is what its hyped up to be.

I think most heads would have bent like that. That's why I am going to change inserts I use. The blade steel on the iron will is very tough. But made from different steel then the ferrule is.
    Keep in mind that Iron Will did do a little better on the second test.

Nice testing and video! Thanks​ for doing all that.
    2017 Denali xpedition 62lbs 513 /277
    15 eva shockey 42.3 lbs 27'' 316/259fps
    2011 elite pulse

I hope everyone see's there are 2 videos. I couldn't get it all into one video and get it loaded on you tube.

I also forgot to point out one thing, the warranty on the Iron Will seems pretty awesome. I know they are expensive but after the test and the warranty has me looking very hard at running these heads for me and my son. For him with a lighter weight draw and I think a cut on contact head would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by nontypical225 View Post
    I think most heads would have bent like that. That's why I am going to change inserts I use. The blade steel on the iron will is very tough. But made from different steel then the ferrule is.
    Keep in mind that Iron Will did do a little better on the second test.
    I think they should of held up a little better than that but yea most heads would bend probably.

Footing the end would help with the mushrooming at the end of the arrow and help stop the insert from ripping through shaft. Might not help with that ferrule bending though.

I think a footing would help keep the front of the arrow intact and straighter, as would a heavier insert with more FOC. I'm not going to hold anything against the Iron Will, frozen bone is like concrete. After seeing that testing, I don't think you will ever damage an Iron Will in a hunting situation. Exodus are dang tough, but I think the edge goes to the Iron Will, if the metric is pure penetration. A guy can't go wrong with either, IMO.

Thanks for putting forth the effort, great test! Some dang good shooting at 80 yds, I may add. I shot some Exodus today, and they fly well for me also. I have both of these in my quiver for this year, very confident after seeing the videos, thanks again.
    " The only thing you can trust in this life, is God and your front post sight."

I think they should of held up a little better than that but yea most heads would bend probably.

Footing the end would help with the mushrooming at the end of the arrow and help stop the insert from ripping through shaft. Might not help with that ferrule bending though.
    I think using something like a stainless insert would have changed the out come of the first test for sure. I guess I just cant see holding it against the Iron will, after all it was frozen bone and a bad shot.

Quote Originally Posted by krieger View Post
    I think a footing would help keep the front of the arrow intact and straighter, as would a heavier insert with more FOC. I'm not going to hold anything against the Iron Will, frozen bone is like concrete. After seeing that testing, I don't think you will ever damage an Iron Will in a hunting situation. Exodus are dang tough, but I think the edge goes to the Iron Will, if the metric is pure penetration. A guy can't go wrong with either, IMO.

Thanks for putting forth the effort, great test! Some dang good shooting at 80 yds, I may add. I shot some Exodus today, and they fly well for me also. I have both of these in my quiver for this year, very confident after seeing the videos, thanks again.

Thank you, I cant shoot like that every group that's for sure. I agree you cant go wrong with either head that's for sure.

Did you see my video of a test of the Bishop and the Exodus on steel flat bar? That tool steel is all that it is hyped up to be.
    "His arrow will flash like lightning." Zechariah 9:14
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder 30, MBG Pure Gold 75 sight, QAD Ultra Rest HDX, Easton Hexx Arrows & Blazers, QAD Exodus and Bishop Archery Broadheads, TightSpot quiver, Spot Hogg Wiseguy release, Zeiss Conquest HD binocs, Leica 1000R rangefinder, Kifaru Timberline 2 pack, Cold Steel blade, Kuiu clothing, Lowa Ronan boots

Thanks for the tests and the posting. I know it takes a lot of time to do it, and we all really appreciate it!
    "His arrow will flash like lightning." Zechariah 9:14
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder 30, MBG Pure Gold 75 sight, QAD Ultra Rest HDX, Easton Hexx Arrows & Blazers, QAD Exodus and Bishop Archery Broadheads, TightSpot quiver, Spot Hogg Wiseguy release, Zeiss Conquest HD binocs, Leica 1000R rangefinder, Kifaru Timberline 2 pack, Cold Steel blade, Kuiu clothing, Lowa Ronan boots

Not only is the exodus cheaper but it's no slouch in comparison. I like how the exodus is tested against some of these very expensive broadheads with smaller cutting diameters and "super" metals and compares quite well to them. Even though i like to see them, the tests are way overkill with steel plates and whatnot. Its funny because after the test its like, "well the exodus did well but it didnt make 'as' deep of a dent or poke but it was close." LOL.

Practically speaking, i dont see anyone actually needing something more than an exodus. I havent seen one incident where someone said they didnt get enough penetration with one on a game animal (and thats with a 1.25" three blade cut). Now, just simply wanting to use something else, personal preference, wanting to try something new, etc. thats great. I like to do the same thing, but i dont walk away from these tests and start to have questions in my mind about the exodus.

I don't think I ever questioned the exodus head. But in all fairness the Iron Will did out penetrate it, while not by much there was a difference. Which I would fully expect from a cut on contact versus and chiseled tip.

I have said it several times I love the exodus heads, they are my go too broadhead of choice and I have killed several animals with them. They are the standard I compare all other broadhead against. And this is not the first time I tested them. Back in 2014 I tested them and that's when I decided to start shooting them.

The reason I Test new stuff is for me to see if there is that next level in equipment. I just figured while testing it I might as well video it and share it. This time the test was more about finding the broadhead I want to take on my first moose hunt. I have zero issue taking the exodus but I keep hearing people talk about how the broadhead they shoot brakes big leg bone. Yet I have never seen that in person on anything larger then a deer. I want to make sure that what I use will do the most damage possible if I make a bad shot.
    Steel plates are over kill we all know that. But they serve a purpose in the testing, I want to see what the over all durability of a broadhead is plus it's fun to brake stuff

thanks for the testing and destroying some arrows for the videos. i second footing your arrows if you're going to stick with the HITs. i shot the HITs for a few months years ago and said never again. with my heavy arrows i had to go with a .204ID arrow, so i used a black eagle steel half-out, and footed over the end of the carbon and up as far as i could over the half out. the build is in my sig. it (so far) seems to be a very tough arrow.
    Bowtech D340, 30", 70lb, 487gr BE Carnivores, fps tbd
    D350, 30", 80# Barnsdale's, 642gr GT Kinetic Chaos .200s at 275 fps
    642gr gold tip arrow build: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by cooperjd View Post
    thanks for the testing and destroying some arrows for the videos. i second footing your arrows if you're going to stick with the HITs. i shot the HITs for a few months years ago and said never again. with my heavy arrows i had to go with a .204ID arrow, so i used a black eagle steel half-out, and footed over the end of the carbon and up as far as i could over the half out. the build is in my sig. it (so far) seems to be a very tough arrow.
    thanks for the info. I am thinking about trying the gold tip ballistic collars

those collars are not permanent (unless you make them so), and i believe they are somewhat short. although depending on how far beyond your rest your arrow sticks out will determine how long of a footer you can use. i used 1.75" aluminum shaft pieces
    Bowtech D340, 30", 70lb, 487gr BE Carnivores, fps tbd
    D350, 30", 80# Barnsdale's, 642gr GT Kinetic Chaos .200s at 275 fps
    642gr gold tip arrow build: Hidden Content