Blinking immediately after the shot?

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Blinking immediately after the shot?

So I have been playing with a slow motion app to compare my form to others and look for issues. I have been noticing that immediately after the shot breaks my natural reaction is to blink. It seems it is after the arrow clears the rest so I thought this was normal but I started watching John Dudley shoot in slow motion and his eyes don't ever blink until far after the shot. Has anyone else looked into this and how it would effect your accuracy or has tried to train themselves not to blink. Thanks in advanced for the advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

When you blink AFTER the shot, there is no problem. The problem comes in when you are under a little stress and begin blinking sooner & sooner. Usually it ends up that you blink before the explosion and your pin moves a little.

Training yourself to not blink until the arrow hits the target is not that hard to do. I've almost never seen a top shooter who blinks on release or immediately after release.

Good idea to use a HS camera to check your form. Many use it to find the little flaws that creep into our form.

Allen
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by baldmountain Hidden Content
    I beginning to believe that "target panic" is another name for "form flaw and I'm too stubborn to get a good coach to help me."

4. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

Don't know what others do but I focus on watching the target until the arrow hits it. Not only does it help to see where you hit on an animal but it also helps to keep focus and not flinch in anticipation of the shot. Not sure that's actually why I don't blink but I have slow motion video of myself and I don't blink until the arrow has hit the target.
    Bear Anarchy HC x2
    Bear Anarchy SC (hunting)
    Bear Frankenbow (indoor bow)
    60th Anniversary Bear Kodiak Magnum 40#
    Cabela's Limited Edition Outfitter Recurve by Damon Howatt

6. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the input!! I will try to focus on the arrow hitting the target maybe that will help keep my eyes open. I may also try doing some bow grip and paracord string training to help go through the process without having the sudden break of the bow causing me to flinch or blink. I figure if the top shooters don't blink to the arrow hits the target it probably wouldn't hurt to get better at it. Thanks again for the responses!!

I agree with trying to see the arrow hit the target.
    If you blink on nearly every shot it might indicate that you are anticipating the moment of release. If that's the case, solutions related to developing a surprise release may help - use of back tension, squeezing the release vs popping or jerking the trigger, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro