Archery Talk Forum banner

eat what you kill

5K views 107 replies 51 participants last post by  Cibert 
#1 ·
do you really have to eat everything you kill, or is that some kind of tree hugger bull crap. i dont wanna eat everything i kill. yea i will admit sometimes i kill just to see how tuned my bow is and if i can make that shot. dont want to eat **** or crow, and have to pass on the squirrel too. sometimes times i just shoot it to watch it die. is there something wrong with me?

#4 ·
I'm guessing you are being sarcastic in order to prove some point. There is a difference between killing for those strange reasons you posted and realizing that there are some animals that we kill that just aren't good to eat. Nothing wrong with managing wildlife populations.

#15 ·
[ i kill just to see how tuned my bow is and if i can make that shot.
That's what a target is for. You should not be tuning your bow using live aninmals. Jezzz:no:[/QUOTE]

how about seeing if my shooting is good enough to clip a chuck at 400 yds? with a .223, or if my 22 marlin is sighted well enough to see if i can clip that squirrel all the way up an oak just peeking around the corner at me.

#11 ·
When i was alot younger i use to kill just for the kicks. But as i have grown older i see things diff. I have learned to give back to the animals that i share the woods and fields with. For me now when i kill its to eat and i look at life diff. as to the animals. Now i dont just kill to kill i have learned that life has a diff. meaning then it did before. Yes you have the occational mole in the yard and a mouse in the house but its just something we deal with. So when i kill now it to eat and to remember to give back some way for what i have taken. Crazy Wolf.

#12 ·
well if your young and you shoot stuff to watch it die--> whatever I use to kill everything in sight with my wrist rockets and pellet rifles (until I discovered girls) but if your an adult and your killing stuff to just watch it die--> then without coming off the wrong way and being honest I'd say yeah thats way beyond conservation and you might have some issues :wink:

#14 ·
Bug hunter

I don't eat cats,dogs,rodents,snakes,or bugs.Oh,and bear!!!

What in the world would possess a guy to eat cat? Peer pressure! Bragging rights!!:pukey: :pukey: :pukey:

#16 ·
I don't eat cats,dogs,rodents,snakes,or bugs.Oh,and bear!!!

What in the world would possess a guy to eat cat? Peer pressure! Bragging rights!!:pukey: :pukey: :pukey:
i dont know but thats what some hunters would have you believe. i can see peta people getting nuts over this but some so called fellow hunters have been hitting me with this lately???

#17 ·
I try to atleast taste everything I kill. I was skeptible of eating cat (Mtn Lion) the first time, but my buddy said to ought to try it is very good. Well he told no lie. It was amazing and my favorite wild meat. I even like it better than elk. It tastes just like pork chops. Seriously.

#18 ·
I normally do. All I normally have in the freezer is venison. No beef at my house too bland.

#19 ·
It is not always good to eat everything you kill. The part that bothers me is you stated you like to shoot them to watch them die and to tune your bow? Like was stated that is what targets are made for. There is no need to kill any animal just to watch it die. Besides most good hunters call it harvesting not killing there is a slight difference and we (or most) do eat what they kill unless it is not good for human consumption

#30 · (Edited)
i'm honest enough to state this, when i shoot ,squirrel, bunny,or deer or any animal i due get a rush in watching the thing die, you might like to call it "go down" or "got em" harvested or what ever rosie terminations you might have for watching it die. it's one of the main reasons i'm out there to shoot something and watch it die, or maybe your only happy when you shoot something and runs off and dies somewhere else huh, or if it happens in front of you, you cover your eyes right. or if you see it die in front of you that just blows your hunt, get bent!

#20 ·
I assumed that guy was joking as anyone on this site whoi kills soley to kill may soon be on an AMW website

#21 ·
I don't always eat everything I kill. There was one season in 1992 where we had a servere drought and the wildlife was really taking a hard hit. I must have killed over twenty wild hogs that were walking skin, bones and ticks. A hog that should have weighted 150 lbs tip the scales a 60. Call it mercy killing.

#22 ·
I also onetime harvested a nice deer but when I dressed it out there were puss pockets all over inside the backstrap. I called the game dept and they advised me not to eat it and they would pick it up. They did and re-issued me another tag, they were also supposed to get back to me with what they found out about the animal but of course they did not. There are times when you do not eat what you kill.

#24 ·
I couldnt pull myself to eat a cat. I personally dont care for squirrel either I take them out because there is far to many in my woods but I dont waste them either I put them in fox holes and their gone the next day. Ive always belived if your feeding something else its not a waste because something else is living from it JMO

But I do eat everything else I shoot

#26 ·
No you dont have to eat everything that you shoot - there are other less privileged people who would gladly take meat off you - there is also pets mince that you can make and give away. Varmin are a different issue - you kill them for a reason.

If you get a thrill out of shooting something just to watch it die, then you are one sick puppy.

#37 ·
I totally agree with FTH.... whooaa, I can't believe I just said that! :eek:

All kidding aside, to actually type that trashy low-class reply on a public forum, man... there's got to be something wrong with him! :mad: :(

#36 ·
You lack the essence and depth that defines a bowhunter in that reply. It is sad really, as in an accessible and public domain such as this, your comments are damaging to other hunters. Why not simply pull your comment and keep your love of shooting animals simply to enjoy watching them die to yourself?

My comment, use it or not or simply ignore it.....................

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.