Field bow?

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Thread: Field bow?

Field bow?

Hello, I am wanting to step up and start shooting some field shoots. I have been doing some shooting with my HTR and have been told that I am doing good with my equipment by some of the other shooters and their coach. I would like to get some valuable pros and cons on some bows. I am looking at a Hoyt HyperEdge, Elite Victory 37 and PSE Evole 35. All the shoppes I have spoken with have told me that the HyperEdge went over like a lead balloon but they would ordered me anyway. They told me to get the Pro Defient 34 over the HyperEdge, it would be a better bow. The V37 felt nice and 99% of the team shoot V37. I don't know if that shop would rather me shot a V37 since most of all the team shoots it. One of. The team members shoots an Evole 35 since he only has one bow the hunt/shoot with. I have looked at the Chill X also. Thank you for your time and help,
    JD

2. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

Most guys are using longer bows than that. More in the 37-41" ATA. Closer to an indoor rather than 3D setup.
    Getting the latest and greatest isn't all that important compared to getting something that fits with the right accessories.
    Archery is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your score is, what place you are in) then you lose the capacity to focus on the process.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

Really only you can decide which bow is for you. Other then saying get something in the 35"-40" range....in the end your the one shooting it so you have to pick the bow you want to shoot.

It won't be the only target bow you buy more then likely.....so pick the one you like and set that puppy up and get to flinging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HDI Staff Director....It's indoor season....is your bow treated with Phase Inhibitor?

Scott Archery CBE Feather Vision

6. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

my bow is 68" 40# and a beautiful piece of Gear custom made in Scotland
    co-founding Member of Team FB4LHidden Content Hidden Content

37 podium x elite at 57lbs with x-10 protours.
    Grouping pretty good and I haven't group tunes it yet.
    Also have a pro edge elite for 3d which is much shorter but I haven't got it to group as well as the podium. The spiral is sefinately a different critter though so if you haven't shot one I would before you buy. My opinion is the 40" bows work better for larger archers...
    I'm 6, 1" and I have shot better scores with the 37" over the 40" and I've had both.

Any of those bow would work great for Field. I am not sure I would go any longer than a 37. Some field courses challenge you by having extreme angles. If that is the case it is difficult to maintain correct form on an extreme down or up hill shot with a really tall bow. I have seen some bunny targets that are almost straight up. I have also seen targets that are a steeper angle down than a hunting blind. I am short, so on extreme down angle I can hit my body with my rear stab. Especially with a 40" bow.

Not knowing how tall you are I would go with the Evolve, mainly for the adjust-ability. All in all, field is a known distance game, so speed is not important. The Evolve is my choice because the price is better than the others you mentioned. I would invest in a good sight and arrows. Most will not notice a big difference in arrows on a 30 yard shot. But on a 14 target field course you have half of your shots 50 yards or more. You will notice a bad arrow, bad tune, bad form. Pro tours are a little extreme if you are just starting out, but a good small diameter arrow is really important. Get a good scope, lens and pin.

I am not an expert on field arrows, and probably another post to ask that question.
    I like the Axcel target sights, I use the scale vs a sight tape for field. I find it much more accurate, and I can have cheat sheets for different courses. Axcel seems to be the only current sight manufacturer that has a scale worth using. There is a really good Iphone app called archers mark. It will help keep track of your adjustments.

you must be setting up a bow to shoot the free style class ? and if this is your first year: do you have a bow you shoot indoors now ? or is your hunting bow have a longer ata somewhere around 35 inch or longer and do you shoot that bow well ? your first year will be a big learning summer at field shoots why spend a lot of money ? you may not enjoy field archery , the new bow might not be the right choice , some of the field archer`s you shoot with in the free style class will help you make a good bow choice for the next summer.if really want to buy a bow my first few choices would be hoyt,barnsdale,pse,mayhews or a elite. but do buy a American made bow easier to find parts and probably cheaper too. good luck and have a great time,Pete53

Longer ATA bows tend to be the best choice.The string angle you will encounter becomes an issue when your going out to 80yds,depending on speed of the bow ,and tape distance on your sight rack.Most set their peep height a little shorter so they don't have to lift their head to shoot long distance.But with short ATA bows the peep would be more back and forth.I would say 37-40 ich ATA is ideal.Im know I'm going to get blasted by 35,and under ATA shooters but this is just my experience,and opinion.
    Repeat your process,Concentrate then follow through!

Thank you everyone for your responses. I am 6'2" and have a 30" draw. I am going to a shoot this weekend and will be shooting my hunting setup (HTR & hunting arrows). I know that whatever bow I do decide to go with I will need new arrows. The local shop and coach have recommend X10s but say that the Carbon Injections would be the way to go for the price. When I was on the Easton site putting in information on a set up the site was recommending a stiffer spine than the .330s. I was basing the set up on 58-60lbs, 29" arrow and 120-140 up front in point weight. Someone else said that I should only us 80-90 grains up front then go with a .400 spine arrow. Does the FOC not matter as much in the target world? Thank you again for everyone's input.
    JD

P.M. blueglide1 about arrows maybe even a bow ?

I agree with Pete, use your current bow for now unless money isn't an object until you try it a bit, invest in some good sights which can be used on another bow and some small diameter arrows, X10 are great but expensive, I'm using lightspeeds and they have worked very well for me. you could shoot 400's on 58-60 # with your DL. My field bow is 37.5" ata but I have shot my 32" hunting bow with target sights with good results.