Thread: Anyone recommend an Elk Outfitter??

Anyone recommend an Elk Outfitter??

I have never hunted elk, but am looking to in the fall of 2008 in either Colorado or Idaho (bowhunt). I am looking to do a drop camp type hunt, and just wondered if anyone has any advice on an outfitter to use or not use? Please share any experiences or advice for a first timer!

Its not what I do.........Its who I am..

hire - drive - buy - be

AMERICAN

Elk Hunt

Don't know about drop camp hunts, but we have been using a guide in unit 21 the last to years and have went 100% success on shooting and harvest. Going back this labor day week. 6 day hunt is $1900.00 all inclusive except tag. If you want info let me know. I want to DIY hunt also but we really enjoy hunting with this guide, so for now we are gonna continue with them.

Thumbs up

i would recommend Randy Horne with Bar H outfitters. they hunt out of meeker , co (800) 230-hunt.

K lazy 3.
    VERY high success!

Can you ride?

Montana (Yellowstone area).
    My experience,none.
    One of my guys guides for them in the late summer,early fall he boosts of 80-90% success.
    About $5600 one on one.$5200 one on two(guide to hunter ratio).
    Booked up this season
    Last edited by twisted1600; May 12th, 2007 at 01:58 PM.

Jim Farley at triple js hunting adventures in CO, Horse back hunts ect, hunted with him several times, great guy!

A BIG stay away from Ripple Creek Outfitter out of Meeker,CO. Me,my brother and dad did a drop camp with them,worst hunting experiance in my life. from poor accomidations,poor hunting ( only saw lot's and lot's of people)to spoiled food!!

thanks guys for you input! I can't ride presently, but plan on being able to by the time I go. (I'm sure your talking about horses)

Where can I get a map of the different "Units" of Colorado and info on which ones or areas are the best?

Money is always an issue, but I do realize that you usually get what you pay for.

hire - drive - buy - be

AMERICAN

Quote Originally Posted by Scoutman View Post
    Don't know about drop camp hunts, but we have been using a guide in unit 21 the last to years and have went 100% success on shooting and harvest. Going back this labor day week. 6 day hunt is $1900.00 all inclusive except tag. If you want info let me know. I want to DIY hunt also but we really enjoy hunting with this guide, so for now we are gonna continue with them.

what are the quality of the animals you guys are seeing/killing?

hire - drive - buy - be

AMERICAN

Quote Originally Posted by ROYAL7 View Post
    A BIG stay away from Ripple Creek Outfitter out of Meeker,CO. Me,my brother and dad did a drop camp with them,worst hunting experiance in my life. from poor accomidations,poor hunting ( only saw lot's and lot's of people)to spoiled food!!
    thats sad to hear man, spending money on a hunt should be enjoyable
    its okay if it hurts

We have killed a 6x7 that grossed 307P@Y, I missed a 5x5, another buddy got a 5x6. We have killed 2 cows and missed 3 others. One of our group saw a 340-350 bull last year but too far. If you are horn hunting you may want to try New Mexico or Arizona or even a private ranch in CO, but have your bank account ready! If you want a great hunting experience with a chance at a respectable bull then this hunt could be for you. There is no extra charge for mule deer or black bears if you have a tag. I'll pm you the contact info.

Quote Originally Posted by ROYAL7 View Post
    I would second that. I have never hunted with any outfitter but I have hunted around where the Ripple Creek Bunch hunt and they are *******es. Although it has been said that they will go out and shoot you an elk at night if they can't find you one in the daytime. LOL