Have to get this off my chest - Page 2

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    As weak as my eyes are I have to check, recheck, check again and then look once more through binos before I can draw and aim. Making good shots while aiming at the wrong spot simply sucks and at this point in my archery life I need more than to just hit the 10 ring. If all I was trying to do was to keep it in the 10 I'd be much quicker and also bored silly. But I really enjoy playing the game to the absolute best of my ability so I'll do my thing and it really shouldn't bother other archers. Typically my group of 4 or 5 are not the slowest on the course. If you are in a group of 2 or 3 it is likely you are finishing quicker than we are but it's not necessarily a problem for you or I.

If you like to roll around a course you have to learn to happily deal with skipping past groups that move slower. If you shoot in a slow group then you have to learn how to happily help faster groups get around you.

If the club is allowing large groups (more than 5) on the course AND those groups are slowing everyone down by not making way for faster groups then that is an entirely different issue. That large group is full of jerks and the club is letting them be jerks.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PSE Decree, Xpression 3D
    Stan ShootOff and Sable releases

2. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

IMO, if you are in that big of a hurry to shoot, you should be showing up as soon as registration is open. If you can't do that, either don't go or just expect to wait.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

IMO, if you are in that big of a hurry to shoot, you should be showing up as soon as registration is open. If you can't do that, either don't go or just expect to wait.
    That's really not the way to think, if your on the range you need to be respectful of others. A large of extra slow group needs to be aware of what they are doing to the people behind them.
    Black Eagle Pro Staff
    Member Ohio 3D Group
    Pro Staff PSE Team J&S Archery
    Findlay Ohio

6. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rockyw View Post
    That's really not the way to think, if your on the range you need to be respectful of others. A large of extra slow group needs to be aware of what they are doing to the people behind them.
    I don't disagree with that, but at the same time when groups are stacked upon groups, you can't expect every group to just let you shoot on through. If there is a large group of 6+ shooters together who have the entire course log jammed, the range needs to break them into two smaller groups and pick the pace up.

But I still stand by my statement, if you're in that big of a hurry, show up early or stay at home. Otherwise, just enjoy being outside.

To me this is just another example of people with entitlement issues. Why does it bother you so much that if your kids weren't there, you think you would yell at those guys? What makes your outing that day more important than theirs? People say they should be courteous and hurry, or let you pass. If there isn't a huge line stacked up behind you, sure let them shoot through, but when I go to those things, I want to take my time, check for good reference spots, draw back, and if necessary let down to re-check or find a different reference to go off of. Then I might not like the feel, or my form may not be quite right, so I let down. What I'm doing is everything possible to make a perfect shot on every target, so I can be competitive by practicing being competitive.

If that bothers you because you want to fly through the course without waiting for someone ahead of you, then so be it. You sure would be a lot happier in life if you didn't view everything everyone else does as an infringement on your rights though. If you get behind me and decide to yell, go right ahead. I'll probably just smile and tell you to relax and enjoy the nice day. You came out to have fun. Think of the little extra wait as more time spent bonding with your kids, and stop being bothered by other people so much.
    Bowtech
    Tru Ball/Axcel
    Gold Tip/B-Stinger

If there is a large group of 6+ shooters together who have the entire course log jammed, the range needs to break them into two smaller groups and pick the pace up
    Agree but it just doesn't happen. The biggest group I seen once was 15 young guys together. I walked around them and had to laugh, there were 15 arrows stacked in a turkey! LOL
    Black Eagle Pro Staff
    Member Ohio 3D Group
    Pro Staff PSE Team J&S Archery
    Findlay Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by cbrunson View Post
    To me this is just another example of people with entitlement issues. Why does it bother you so much that if your kids weren't there, you think you would yell at those guys? What makes your outing that day more important than theirs? People say they should be courteous and hurry, or let you pass. If there isn't a huge line stacked up behind you, sure let them shoot through, but when I go to those things, I want to take my time, check for good reference spots, draw back, and if necessary let down to re-check or find a different reference to go off of. Then I might not like the feel, or my form may not be quite right, so I let down. What I'm doing is everything possible to make a perfect shot on every target, so I can be competitive by practicing being competitive.

No one said you can't take your time and make every shot count... but there is a point where your actions affect everyone else. IBO allows each shooter 2 minutes at the stake or be penalized.
    You're only allowed 2 let downs or get a penalty, no looking through binos (at the stake) after the shot or get a penalty. These are all very resonable standards and what should be expected at a 3D shoot.
    For the record, I don't believe anyone here is asking everyone to "hurry" only to apply a little courtesy. Like I said in an earlier post... I waited 90 minutes between targets last year.

If that bothers you because you want to fly through the course without waiting for someone ahead of you, then so be it. You sure would be a lot happier in life if you didn't view everything everyone else does as an infringement on your rights though. If you get behind me and decide to yell, go right ahead. I'll probably just smile and tell you to relax and enjoy the nice day. You came out to have fun. Think of the little extra wait as more time spent bonding with your kids, and stop being bothered by other people so much.

No one said they were expecting to NEVER wait. (I know for a fact I didn't) It's tough to keep a kid interested in an activity where they shoot one arrow and then wait 90 minutes before they get to do it again.
    My responses in red.

All I'm asking for is for everyone to follow the rules...What ever they may be. IBO/ASA/Club rules when it comes to pace of play, group size and courtesy. One slow group can jam up the works for 100 shooters behind them. So everyone can play their own game... I like to get my heart rate up and get the blood flowing to simulate a hunting as much as possible. (admittedly, I haven't done much cardio since I retired from the military) I'm not saying everyone should play the game like me.... I'm asking people who know they're going slower to let me play through. Most people have no problem stepping aside for a smaller faster group to pass. I have no complaints about them. It's the people with the "screw you" or the "you should slow down and play the game like me" attitude that I'm seeing from some of the posters in this thread.

We all have lives outside of archery. For me, I have to fit it in when I can this time of year. Between my daughter's softball schedule, my work schedule and the crappy weather we've had lately, it's a challenge to get to a 3d shoot.

For the majority of the 3D shooters that I know, it's not about score (lets face it, some of the scoring rings aren't in the ideal locations for hunting). It's about getting ready for hunting so you can put that arrow right behind the shoulder when your heart is pounding out of your chest.

Again, all I'm asking is for the rules to be followed:

IBO
    5. Each archer shall be allowed a maximum of two (2) minutes to complete his or her shot. This rule
    shall operate as follows:
    a. Time will begin for the first archer when the previous group clears the target. Time will begin
    for the next archer when the previous archer releases his or her arrow.
    b. Archers should be sensitive to the time concerns of the groups behind them and make every
    attempt to shoot in a timely manner. An archer found to be over his or her allotted time by a
    range official may have five (5) points deducted from his or her score. If the actions of a whole
    group are contrary to this rule, each person in the group may have five (5) points deducted
    from his or her score. Repeated violation of an archer’s two (2)-minute time limit is
    considered to be unsportsmanlike conduct.
    c. After shooting, the shooter should immediately clear the stake for the next shooter. Using
    binoculars from the shooting stake after the shot is prohibited. Repeated violations of this rule
    will result in a five (5)-point deduction of the shooter’s score for each violation.
    d. In order to support the two minute time limitation, an archer at the shooting stake may not let
    down more than three times. Let down is defined as drawing to anchor, then letting down and
    not taking the shot. If an archer lets down more than three times, he or she shall receive a
    score of zero for that target. All shooting groups shall enforce this scoring, and failure to do so
    will be considered falsification of a score and subject the group to those penalties described in
    paragraph i. under Scorecards.
    ASA
    B. Each group will be responsible for monitoring and adhering to the following pace of shooting:
    Upon commencement of the round by a verbal announcement by the range official the first shooter at each target will be allowed two minutes in Unknown Distance and one minute in Known Distance to shoot their arrow.
    Each remaining member of the group will be allocated one minute to shoot.
    Each group will be permitted four minutes to score the target, pull arrows and reach the next stake at which point the time allotment procedure repeats.
    Any shooter who fails to adhere to their specified time limit will receive a warning from the group or range official for the first offense. The penalty for a subsequent offense is a deduction of five points from target score. Any further offenses will result in the disqualification of the shooter.
    Halon 6
    PSE Evo Max
    60x Custom Strings
    Archery Bum Apparel

Wow there a lot of long posts in this thread. Just shoot through. If they get pissy about it or won't let you (which most folks wouldn't) be the better man and skip the target and report them.

Quote Originally Posted by rockyw View Post
    Agree but it just doesn't happen. The biggest group I seen once was 15 young guys together. I walked around them and had to laugh, there were 15 arrows stacked in a turkey! LOL
    Once again, I have only shot one IBO in my life. I am looking at your problem from a spot shooter perspective. We are not allowed to skip targets and shoot them later because a group is slow. We have to ask to shoot through the group.

I suggested putting two stakes out per target so two archers can shoot at a time as spot shooter do, but was given the "because this is the way we do it" card. So I can see that you can complain about a problem but are unwilling to listen to suggestions. Not that my suggestion was the correct one, but I can see that there will not be a correct answer to your problem. Therefore you might as well learn to live with the problems and quit complaining.

Buy a chair. It's what we do at Redding. At least we are smart enough to have half our group shoot at a time (up to 12 archers) out of a group of 24. If we shot one at a time, we would be at one target for over an hour. We also have your very top 3D pro archers competing at Redding and I never saw any of them complaining that more than one archer should not be shooting at a time.
    PSE Supra Max 60#
    Hoyt Carbon Element 60#

We try and jump around if there is open targets one place we go it's like 1-10 down one side and 11-20 on other if we get behind slow people we shot 10 and 19 and so forth and eventually we will get around them on the back side. It is annoying to have people take forever it really cramps up any flow of shooting. This is why I quit playing golf, because once your waiting more than participating it just becomes more like work at that point

Some of the reasons I stopped shooting 3D, This thread has confirmed I made the right decision.

The complaints are always the same, year after year.

If what they are doing is against the rules, ex: taking too long, too big of groups, and the club is made aware of it and chooses to do nothing to remedy it. You have a decision to make.
    Either suck it up or stop going to those shoots. Tell the club leaders your concerns and see if they will make the effort to enforce the rules and correct the problems.

Everyone payed their money to attend that shoot and has equal right to be there, no matter what game they are playing or how serious they are.

I kind of liked our state shoots, assigned groups (peers), shotgun start, so there's less pencil pushing and everyone finishes at almost the same time.
    The Original Bling Sling
    Level 3-NTS Coach, USA Archery
    Mathews Factory Staff, Zeiss Sports Optics Pro Staff
    AAE Staff, I Shoot A STAN and a Mathews Halon X Pro

Have to get this off my chest

I've shot in large groups and groups that are just my wife and I and have encountered everything everyone has mentioned. If I have limited time, I start the day early. The one experience I don't see mentioned is the "finding arrows group". Arrows are expensive and I do understand the need to search for them. But that as well should be reasonable. I was shooting in one of the groups that the op mentions. You know. Judging yardage, making sure you are looking at the correct white spot in the javelina and taking our time on a nice sunny day. Any group that came up behind us would get irritated that we were taking too long but what no on realized was that in front of us there was a small group of four. Two male adults and two kids that were also enjoying their day. They spent more time looking for arrows after the shot than our entire group did shooting. They did not want to let anyone shoot through because "we don't want to get behind one of you slow groups". So as the day went, we let every group that came up pass by all to be stuck at the next target waiting for the small group to find arrows.

Point being to the Op is that there are many reasons the course can get slow it is not only the shooters

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by XForce Girl View Post
    Some of the reasons I stopped shooting 3D, This thread has confirmed I made the right decision.

The complaints are always the same, year after year.

If what they are doing is against the rules, ex: taking too long, too big of groups, and the club is made aware of it and chooses to do nothing to remedy it. You have a decision to make.
    Either suck it up or stop going to those shoots. Tell the club leaders your concerns and see if they will make the effort to enforce the rules and correct the problems.

Everyone payed their money to attend that shoot and has equal right to be there, no matter what game they are playing or how serious they are.

I kind of liked our state shoots, assigned groups (peers), shotgun start, so there's less pencil pushing and everyone finishes at almost the same time.

The only thing I don't like about the assigned groups is that my wife and I never get to shoot together at those. Archery and hunting are something that we share and not shooting together takes a lot of our enjoyment out of it

Quote Originally Posted by X-file View Post
    The only thing I don't like about the assigned groups is that my wife and I never get to shoot together at those. Archery and hunting are something that we share and not shooting together takes a lot of our enjoyment out of it

I understand that but it's also fun to mix it up and shoot with new people once in a while. Maybe you'll make new friends or something.

I've taken groups of kids out and let their parents shoot in another group. The kids, ALL of them, said it was way more fun shooting in their new group than with their parents.
    The Original Bling Sling
    Level 3-NTS Coach, USA Archery
    Mathews Factory Staff, Zeiss Sports Optics Pro Staff
    AAE Staff, I Shoot A STAN and a Mathews Halon X Pro

Have to get this off my chest

We do meet new people all the time. Lol most of the time that happens when we are shooting just the two of us and have to shoot through the larger groups. Then catch up to a smaller group and fit in

It is actually quite funny that most of the people we have met on the course are due to larger groups slowing things down

We shot behind a group of 8 20ish guys this weekend. Shooting both compound and long as well shooting 3 different pegs. They we cutting up busting balls and having a good time. At first it was kind of fun and entertaining then it became annoying. They did not ask if we wanted to shoot through but when I asked they said no problem. As well we came on 3 older guys, it was a hilly course so every shot they would break out their chairs sit down catch their breath and im sure let their heart rate return to normal before they would shoot. When we came to them they initiated and said go head shoot through while we take a siesta.
    If i'm not where I have to be, at work or with my kids, i'm in or against one of my favorite trees, so don't bother me.
    >>>------------>
    Shhh he is out there some where!!!!!!!!!!
    Hoyt/Nitrum 34, QAD, CBE, NAP, Scott, Goldtip, Rage

Another reason I'm Pro " Marked Unknown" yardage. Paint a highly visible outline around the 12's, that way you don't have to spend so much time trying to register in your brain where the arrow has to go in a place where you cant see through your sight. Then the challenge becomes focused on what 3D was intended to do , concentrate on yardage to the target with the naked eye and you don't have to study the target for placement
    " Archer who can't judge distance, much like Teets on Bull" Igor Shootemofsky

I personally can't imagine not having my bino's on the course, you have to have them and you have to use them over and over to score well.

With that said I would love to have them taken off the course because it would add so much game play to the 3d game and to me it would speed everything up a bunch. Not being able to stand there and search for the 12 ring and finding a marker to aim off of would be a major addition to the game of 3d. The game right now is becoming such a pin point sport where the top dogs are hitting well over 50 % of the 12's which is cool but forcing them to do it without their bino's would really add something to it.

On the unknown side they still have to stand there and judge the distance but then just shoot, with the known guys they use a little range finger which would allow them to see the rings through the 4x lens that the range finder has but they don't have to judge the target so the time spent is minimal. All you have to do is tell the known guys you can step up and see the distance and once you are up there to shoot you can't use the range finder to look at the target.

Quote Originally Posted by HalonShooter60X View Post
    My responses in red.
    For the majority of the 3D shooters that I know, it's not about score (lets face it, some of the scoring rings aren't in the ideal locations for hunting). It's about getting ready for hunting so you can put that arrow right behind the shoulder when your heart is pounding out of your chest.
    Again, all I'm asking is for the rules to be followed:
    IBO
    ASA
    Most of the people i shoot with it is about the score, its a competition and they take it seriously, but they also know this practice will help the hunting game. with that being said rules should be followed to keep things moving. Most clubs around here keep their groups to a max of 4

and aren't we about due for another umbrella discussion :

The last shoot I was at the guy in front of me looked at the target with his bino's put them down turned around and started talking to someone behind him. Picked them back up and looked at the target.put them down and started talking to the person behind hin again. He did this 4 times. That is not cool in my book. This kind of thing gets under my nerves.
    Bowtech Prodigy Chris Kyle. Halon 32 elevated 2 camo

This problem probably happens a couple times of year. I know not every club you go to has this problem. It's timing! Try going to the clubs at different times! I have shot around groups and came back to a target I skipped, I have had groups say shoot on through, I have even stopped to help other people's children learn to shoot better! It's not about how quick you can shoot through a course, it's about enjoying your time outdoors! I know some peoples time is limited as to when they can shoot. I just shot my first 3-d this year on April 15th. and yes, I like to be competitive! On Dec. 26th,2016 I was taken to the emergency room for my blood pressure being 280 over 222! This happens about every 3-4 yrs. I got on blood pressure medication. Then my 12 yr. old daughter started to have blood issues. Been going to UVA Medical Center a lot and staying for weeks at a time. There are more important issues in life than worrying about how fast you get through a course!
    You are what you perceive yourself to be, but once in awhile check in the realm of reality!!

Quote Originally Posted by tony3443 View Post
    The last shoot I was at the guy in front of me looked at the target with his bino's put them down turned around and started talking to someone behind him. Picked them back up and looked at the target.put them down and started talking to the person behind hin again. He did this 4 times. That is not cool in my book. This kind of thing gets under my nerves.
    That's why I always carry a blunt in my stool quiver.
    " Archer who can't judge distance, much like Teets on Bull" Igor Shootemofsky

Quote Originally Posted by Mathew Lyman View Post
    That's why I always carry a blunt in my stool quiver.
    and THAT is why some folks carry .40's..................
    PSE Decree, Xpression 3D
    Stan ShootOff and Sable releases

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2