Archery Talk Forum banner

Target and Field arrows

579 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Butcher BBQ 
#1 ·
I am wanting to know what everyone thinks would be the better shaft for only used in Target and field shooting. I have considered 3 different shafts.
1st shaft is the Black Eagle X Impact at 30" length, 120 point, pin nocks, 3 vanes, total weight will be 351.7gr with 11.7% FOC.
2nd shaft is the VAP Target 30" length, 120point, pin nocks, 3 vanes, total weight will be 362gr with 11.5% FOC.
3rd shaft is the Gold Tip Pierce Tour 30" length, 120 point, pin nock, 3 vanes, total weight will be 378gr with 10.9% FOC.

My main question is more what is the rule of thumb best used for this type of shooting. I would rather do my homework and buy right the first time. Thanks in advance for any help.

#2 ·
Assuming paper tune and form are good any of those would work. It really comes down to what groups better at your longest distance. I shoot VAPs and they do fine for me when I do my part.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Plan - and train - for the worst situation...
what is your longest distance? WA (the old FITA) is 50 meters now, or you play 80 yard Field as well?
Are you expecting windy or rainy tournament days? A lot of abuse on arrows (especially when they sink half way in a medium soft target block and nomore give on the shaft)?
Available points (stainless, or toolsteel or tungsten) and pins (for what nocks, in-out or pin) in various weights?

I don't use none from your list and I have couple separate sets for each game WA and Field.

#5 ·
Pick a shaft that's suits your spine needs. There's those and others out there that will perform beyond our capabilities.

I'd also pick up a few different sets of different vanes to experiment with, at least two dozen points so you can play around with point weight, and extra pins and nocks.

#6 ·
I've used VAP's and won medals when competitors were using X'10's.
Switched to X-Impacts this year and their doing great.
Have not tried the GT but some friends are shooting them and they like them.
Any from your list will be fine.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.