Archery Talk Forum banner

Arrow Spine for my recurve bow

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  driebergd 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I'm shooting a Cartel Fantom riser with 70", 34 pound SF maple laminate limbs with a custom bow string. My arrows are Beman bow hunter with a 500 spine and 100 grain field points.

Last shooting session I tried shooting an unfletched arrow at 10 yards. This was an impromptu act so I hadn't put a match stick in the plunger as suggested in "Tuning for Tens."

The unfletched arrow struck the target with the knock to the right. I mean, severely to the right. The arrow was at an approximately 45 degree angle to the target face.

I interpret this to mean the arrow is to stiff.

Should I go with a lower spine (600) or try using a lighter point? With the arrow hitting the target at that severe an angle, I'm concerned its a waste of time.

What do you guys think?

#2 ·
A full length ultralight 600 should get close.

#7 ·
As a first port of call, shoot your bare shafts from further back, and see where they impact in the target over the angle. Angle could mean something else (clearance issues, which is a result of a poor tune).
If they land far left of the group, then you know they are too stiff.
If this is the case, your choices are to
1) increase your bow poundage
2) use a heavier point (which I would not recommend with such light poundage)
3) swap to weaker spine arrows of the same length.

If you are not comfortable increasing poundage, get weaker arrows based on what the selection chart says.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.