Archery Talk Forum banner

New to tournament shooting

710 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  navyrob74 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I need some advise on putting together a new tournament rig. I have been looking at the Elite Victory 37 or Hoyt Prevail. I have a total of 3k to put into the whole package rest, sight, scope, stabilizer and arrows. I know this is a lot to ask but I need advise from real shooters. I want sometime with a smooth draw and solid back wall. I shot both and they were pretty impressive. Again thanks for the advise.

#2 ·
No one can tell you what to get as feel is all a personal preference. Also, for those that know how to set a bow up, you can change the feel by how you tun the cam position.

Best thing to do is to simply go shoot a bunch of bows, buy one that you shoot the best, followed by feel. What good does it do if a bow feels great but you shoot it poorly.

#3 ·
What kind of tournament archery do you want to do: 3-D, field, indoor, etc.? That will have a bearing on the kind of set-up you put together.

Also, I see you are from Maryland. My suggestion would be to take a day and drive up to Lancaster Archery. They should have both bows you mentioned and many others that you should be able to try. They can also give you expert advice.

#4 ·
I will mostly be shooting spot tournaments and every now and then 3D, I did go up to Lancaster and shot both the Elite and Hoyt and liked the feeling of both. The elite felt really smooth and it has a high let off so I was able to hold it on target for a long time. I have not had a chance to shoot either the Mathews or PSE.

#5 ·
Hi Navyrob74;
We have both the PSE and Mathews target bows in stock for you to try out. It would be best to give Chris, Buddy or one of our other guys a call with the draw length and weight you'll need along with what models you are interested in. They'll have them ready to go out onto the range when you arrive. Kudos for your renewed interest in target archery!

#6 ·
^^^^He just makes liking his outfit too easy.^^^^

I would suggest a "good" bow to start...and get with somebody that shoots competitively, you have lots to choose from in MD, WV, VA, PA areas. If You do go with the elite, I'd suggest getting a longer module than what you might be fitted to so you can short string it to get the holding weight up a little. At least that's what I'd do because I like to hold north of 19 pounds.

Remember, this is supposed to be fun.

#7 ·
Hi Rob,

I cannot say enough how much I enjoy coming up to your shop. Everyone is always helpful with any questions that I may have. Do you suggest calling and making an appointment with someone because I need a complete setup and I am completely overwhelmed with all the products that are out there now. I know it is going to take some time getting everything I need.

#8 ·
I won't answer the bow part but for the other items:

1. Rest - One of the newer dropaways that converts to a blade rest is a good place to start.
  2. Sight - there is one named "Achieve" with enough vertical throw to reach FITA or Redding distances. Forget the carbon bar to save some bux.
  3. Scope - something between 29 and 42mm, with 4X glass (or polycarbonate) to start. (6X is an aquired taste)
  4. Stabs - a 30" front and 15" side bar with quick disconnects and at least 2 axis adjustment on the side bar mount. Round, skinny, stiff and lightest are good bar characteristics (all 4). Be prepared to spend an amount equal to a front bar just on weights.
  5. Sticks? Way too many variables and opinions. I like aluminum fatties (27's) and aluminum 23's or carbon 22's. Brands that start with E or G seem to be pretty popular. Get plenty of spare nocks.
  6. Quiver - check them all out. Indoor target doesn't require a quiver that doubles as a toolbox or a survival kit. It just needs to hold arrows and keep them away from the shooter to your right. Don't forget a release bag...
  7. Case - a wheeled case is the bomb. One that rhymes with "egend" is economical and reasonably durable.

It's then end of the indoor season so there is plenty of used stuff in the Classifieds here or Target Archers on FB.

#9 ·
Thanks for the reply,

I was looking both the Axcel and CBE but do not know enough about them to make a logical selection on quailty but I do know I would like a click style adjustment and a blade style rest. Do you need to have a side bar on your stabilizer? I see alot of them on youtube when I watch shoots. I was hoping to find an arrow that can be used for both indoor and outdoor.

#10 ·
Axcel, CBE, Sureloc, Shibuya, all are great quality.

You'll quickly want a side bar on your stabilizer.

Indoor arrows don't play that well outside and outside arrows give up points when shot inside. "In-between arrows" like ACCs or Gold Tip Pros give up a little something in both places. Since it's outdoor season you might hit those up first. When the time comes, you won't need but a half dozen for indoors if you take reasonable care of them.

#11 ·
Have you joined one of the great clubs in Maryland? The clubs area great source of information and a bunch of great people. There is some sort of archery tournament every weekend except Easter or Christmas & New Year if they fall on Sunday.

Allen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.