Archery Talk Forum banner

Let Off Question

512 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Bobmuley 
#1 ·
I am new to tournament shooting and was wondering why top shooters only like to have there bows set at 65% letoff? I would think the less weight you are holding at draw the better you can hold it on target. Can anyone help me with this.

#2 ·
Holding weight is a big deal for the better shooters. Holding weight is what holds their bows up and on target. Each archer generally has an individual holding weight that they feel like shoots better for them. They also know how to adjust HW within limits.

The HW is carried by their back muscles. Regardless of how they execute their releases, they hold with their back. It's part of how they can hold so steady.

If you like the low HW, you are probably not using your back muscles to your advantage.

Here is a video that may explain it better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t0wTr6nZ-A

Allen

#3 ·
I can tell you from shooting my Elite bows I always loved a super high let off and valley.
That changed when I picked up my Hoyt Podium with Spiral Pros.
It forces you to stay true to the shot, no creep, stay on target, etc.
It's made me a better shooter.
I cannot shoot my Hoyt as long as my V37 even though they are the same weight, but I execute my shots with both bows better as a result.

#4 ·
Lower letoff/higher holding weight resists more of our imperfections.

Its no different than piano wires or guitar strings. the "tighter" they are the harder it is to deflect them to the side with facial or release influences.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.