Archery Talk Forum banner

Target guys, I have a question regarding draw weight

899 views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Pete53 
#1 ·
I have a question for you guys that are very particular on your equipment

I'm very well versed and fairly successful 3D/competitive archer and have a pretty good handle on what works for me.

My question is this, those of you that have went from like a 70lb 3D bow, back to a 60lb Max bow, what kind of speed decrease have you seen with the same arrow when matching draw length exactly?

I'll build a set of cables to match the holding weight of course, but I'm really contemplating doing this to maybe combat some fatigue late in practice sessions. It doesn't bother me in tournaments but long shooting sessions I do start to feel some fatigue, or mainly see some fatigue in my sight picture, which can run my shot long which can compound it even more.

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
I'm thinking each bow will be different as to the speed loss..But i just dropped for pounds of draw weight on my 3d bow and i lost 3 FPS...Had to go up one on my sight tape from a 14 to a 15 so i lost about 2 yards..

#3 ·
I never used 70 pounds of draw weight when I could pull 70 pounds. 62 pounds and 29 inches of draw gave excellent speed, just different weight arrows to comply with back then 280 fps for NFAA and lighter arrow gave 295 fps for local 3Ds.

#6 ·
Be sure the fatigue is from the draw weight and not from the mass bow weight. I find that I have my bow in my hand much longer during practice than I do in an event where it spends more time sitting in the pod while arrows are scored/pulled/waiting on the next target to clear.

#7 ·
I understand the desire to back down the weight for practice, but personally I would do this the other way and increase the weight, at least for some sessions.

Muscle strength and endurance are developed through the overload principle, so training at increased stress loads will increase your ability to perform those longer training sessions and reduce fatigue during competitions. Ideally you would alternate "heavier" sessions (weight, time, number of shots) with lighter days and rest days... Working out doesn't make you stronger, recovering from a workout is where you make gains.

My $0.03

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.