Archery Talk Forum banner

Hoyt Bows

873 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  driebergd 
#1 ·
I was wondering what everyone's opinion is on Hoyt Bows. Are they really that much better then anything else on the market that allows them to win close to everything they are in. I know a lot has to do with the shooter but when you look at the bows winning the major tournaments Hoyt is an easy 4-1 over the next manufacture. All the major bow manufactures claim to be the best but what is it about Hoyt that makes them do good.

The reason I am asking this is because I am getting ready to but a new bow and I really like the Elite 37 and the Hoyt Prevail but the price of the Hoyt is a lot more then the Elite and is the extra cost really going to help me take my shooting to the next level.

To give you a little ideal of what I am looking for is a smooth draw with a solid back wall and very little jump from my hand. I currently shoot a Matthews Conquest 4. Most of my shooting is spot shooting.

#2 ·
The short answer is no. The long answer is, maybe 20 years ago Hoyt produced slightly better bows than some of their competitors (tho not all), but that's no longer true today. Today, you can literally ignore the brand and simply buy whichever one is the right length, height, depth, draws the way you like, holds on the target the best and looks the nicest.

That also means if a less expensive, or even way less expensive, bow works better for you, you haven't made a single, detectable compromise in quality and durability, etc.

I think there are guys shooting Mathews Genesis bows in the barebow division this year (USAA/NFAA I believe?) and were winning tournaments all over the place. Don't remember where I read that or if I read it correctly, though.

For me, if I can make strings for it without goofy tools or techniques that would take me months to learn, it's in my list of bows to consider.

lee.

#3 ·
very little jump from my hand.
A Prevail would be a shock to your system.

It's a good old-fashioned target bow with up-n-down limbs and tight string pressure...so it pushes forward on the shot.

#4 ·
I do have to say, though, that my Tribute wheel bow + a Like Mike is probably in the top 3 if not the very best indoor spot shooting setups money can buy. But it does almost shatter the windows not to mention my arms when it goes off.

But yes I agree that a vertical limb style bow of really any kind not just an old wheel bow is not what you want if you want low shock on the shot.

lee.

#6 ·
I bought a used Hoyt for my wife to shoot and really like the looks and engineering of it. I remember my first impression (I work in IT with computers) is that Hoyt is the "Apple" brand of the bow world and then I noticed they even use an Apple logo! That being said I've been told by locals that Hoyts put a bit more shock to their shoulders prompting a brand switch. I've shot both Elite v37 and Bowtech Fanatic 3.0 as well and the Fanatic is the one I'm looking at purchasing in the next month or so based on feel and tuning options.

#7 ·
I just went from a Hoyt Alpha Elite, very nice bow, to an Expedition Perfexion. It has a much more solid back wall thanks to limb vs cable stops, and even more dead in the hand as well as lighter. I think the Hoyt was a bit smoother draw and longer valley. Hoyt is the biggest, that's why they win the most. They probably pay the pros more than the other small companies too.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

#8 ·
It is really just personal preference, and placebo effect. The reason why most people shoot Hoyt (both compound and recurve) is because they invest a truckload in advertising and athlete endorsement/sponsorship.
I personally would shoot elite over Hoyt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.