Archery Talk Forum banner

CBE Vertex, Rapid Travel vs Micro Clicks?

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Huntinsker 
#1 ·
I'm looking to get a CBE Vertex and since I've never been able to get hands on with them, I'm looking for opinions or experiences you guys and gals may have to help me. Currently on my bowhunter rig I have a Tek Hybrid and am able to get out to 100+ yards in much less than 2" of travel. I'm setting up the same exact model of bow, the same in every way except color so for that reason I'm not sure I need the extra inch that the Target version has and may go with the 3D model.

What's everyone's opinion on that? Do you find a need for the extra 1" of vertical travel on the target version? Also, if you have the 3d version do you prefer the clicks or the rapid travel? I think I'm leaning towards the clicks but wonder about having to go from an 80 yard target to a 20 yard target and having to click that thing for days to get there. Can you do precise enough adjustments without the clicks?

Thanks for everyone's time.

#2 ·
A friend has the CBE rapid travel thing. Thing is about all I can call it. Okay, 3D is a really a short game distance wise. Our class, Known 40 and Super Senior Known has a max of 40 yards. Our shortest target last week was 25 yards. Hey, we're talking 5 grid marks on a Sure Loc sight frame. It doesn't take me but seconds to move my sight from 25 to 40 yards. Beings max ASA is 50 yards, it takes how long? Second more?
DJ has to use a sight tape as there are no grid marks or clicks, just a smooth fast movement as the lead screw is like a cork screw. His sight tape and CBE seems well dead on for yardage.
I've shot Field and Outdoor using my Sure Locs and I didn't see any need of some cork screw adjustment sight frame. I don't know all sight frames, but the Sure Loc Challenger vertical lock knob can be loosened, pushed in and slide to whatever grid mark, click to whatever, like grid mark 28, click to 12 and lock down. The Sure Loc Supreme is a push button, slide to where ever, click to whatever and lock down. I sold my Supreme because I didn't think it was a bit better than my Challengers.
I had a Sword that was nice. I had two Copper John ANTS 2 that I thought were 2nd class at best and 12 years ago the ANTS promoted by Dave Cousins, Vic Wunderle, Levi Morgan, Jackie Caudle, Braden Gellenthien, Burley Hall and more.

Sight frames it seems are no different than other archery tackle, personal preference. Some I shot with have XXX brand sight frame one month that the latest and greatest and the next month another sight frame that the latest and greatest. I think if you keep one, get use to it you know what to do and it works for you.....

#3 ·
Not really sure what your opinion is besides, whatever you get, keep it and get to know it. I have the rapid travel Tek Hybrid already but it's a different system and moves much more than 1/4" per turn of the wheel. I don't believe the Vertex with clicks has a button to allow movement without clicking it. Each click is .002" of vertical adjustment so that's what concerns me about clicking it all day when going from a long target to a short target. Not worried about it for 3d, as I rarely shoot 3d but more for field. Not a huge deal but if there's a better option and people are liking their rapid travel, then it may help me decide.

Any other opinions? You guys liking your clicks?

#4 ·
I didn't mean to get your dander up. I shot Field and moving my Sure Loc wasn't something that concerned me. I think "clicking all day" is so much BS because my Sure Locs turns pretty easy which equals fast. I can go from 20 yards to 80 yards within seconds. So I guess it's what type of sight frame.
As I said; "DJ has to use a sight tape as there are no grid marks or clicks, just a smooth fast movement as the lead screw is like a cork screw. His sight tape and CBE seems well dead on for yardage."

Note; Sure Locs have a ball detent that is somewhat adjustable for pressure. One knob has a set screw and is turnable for pressure on the spring and ball. Properly set I can spin the adjustment knob with just one finger. Figure about 2" of finger equals a bunch of grid marks.

So if you work on sight frames you find out things. If you want some type of improvement call the manufacturer and they might just have the "fix" you want.

#5 ·
No dander. I just really wasn't sure what you thought about the clicks vs no clicks. I appreciate your info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.