a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Knots in upper back/shoulder blade area

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Almost Canada! (NW Vermont)
    Posts
    1,261

    Knots in upper back/shoulder blade area

    I am experiencing pretty "noticable" knots/pain right between my shoulder blades/upper middle back and neck. I have done every stretch I can think of and even asked a licenced PT on this and he told me I was already doing the right exercizes to stretch these muscles/area.

    I am currently doing 3 sets of 10 on biceps (120#), triceps (90#), wide lats pull downs (190#), and narrow lat pull downs (190#) twice per week, (Monday and Thursday).

    Then bench press (180#), pect flys (110#), upright row (110#), and shoulder presses (120#) twice per week (Tuesday and Friday).
    Basically a "2 on - 1 off" schedule.
    20 minutes Cardio on an olyptical and 50 crunches every day.



    I do not know why I am experiencing these knots...???
    I stretch all the time; especially before these work outs.
    I do neck and back stretching often because of them throughout the day.
    Am I pushing the poundage to high to often?
    Should I do lower weight higher reps?
    My goals are: first to loose weight and 2nd to build muscle/strength for archery and hunting.
    Any suggestions welcome?
    Thanks.


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    819
    I get those things (trigger points) all the time. When I was in grad school, they were crippling (all those hours in front of the computer, no doubt). Aside from the exercises you are doing, I have found the absolute best thing to work them out is to find a sharp corner on a wall and grind the spot back and forth until it submits. It works as well for me as a massage, and it's a lot cheaper. I wouldn't discount going to a massage therapist every now and then, though. I try to get my wife to work them, but she won't push hard enough and gives up too soon. My chiropractor actually gives free classes on how to massage these trigger points. There's also a good book about trigger points by Clare Davies. I discovered how to massage the trigger points in my psoas from this book.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Muskogee,Ok.
    Posts
    73,547

    Two thoughts

    I would certianly consider a massage therapist once a week or as needed to work the knots and get the blood flowing. You can find them in my town for $30.00 hour, my wofe goes to one weeekly. Chriropator can help as well.

    If you had a place to swim it really works the back. Strechs those back muscle when there tight.


    Get one of those large rubber balls and there several excercisies you can do with them to relief stress and pain in the back muscles. Looks like Im going to have to buy one of them myself.
    DB
    Archery is an addiction is for me. Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker Rest, Vapor Trail strings, OK-Archery DST 40, Eilte Z28 Bow, Carter/Scott releases, CBE sights, Goldtip arrows, B Stingers Stabilizers, Lancasters Archery, Slick Tricks, Vanetec Vanes, Elite Pulse

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    819
    DB - I'm moving to OK! In Northern VA, my chiro's massage therapist, who is very, very good and very inexpensive for this area, gets $30 for 20 min, $40 for 30, and $60 for an hour.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    AZ high country
    Posts
    560
    VTBowman,

    I think your problem is postural and possibly stress related. Look at your posture and see if I am right. Rounded shoulders, forward head, slumping in the chair and elevated shoulders are all signs of bad posture. I don't know what you do for a living but you might want to look there. Exercises are good for circulation and releasing stress but you need to look at your posture as well.
    2007 Mossy Oak Obsession Guardian 61# 27.5 DL Easton ST Carbon Excel 400's - TruGlo trusight extreme - Alpine soft loc -WB QS Rest Sold
    <>< 3:16

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    3,697
    My wife suffers from tthose trigger points as well. I believe Stress and posture are the major contributors. I will have to purchase that book you mentioned.
    “... hunting is a lonely sport, ...a hunter is essentially a lonely man, more often than a ‘lone’ man; and the bigger the game, the lonlier it gets” Edison Marshall, Heart of the Hunter

    Western Wanderer Hunting and Life in the West.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Almost Canada! (NW Vermont)
    Posts
    1,261
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven1911 View Post
    VTBowman,

    I think your problem is postural and possibly stress related. Look at your posture and see if I am right. Rounded shoulders, forward head, slumping in the chair and elevated shoulders are all signs of bad posture. I don't know what you do for a living but you might want to look there. Exercises are good for circulation and releasing stress but you need to look at your posture as well.
    Yes I have not so good posture. I realized it a long while ago and "try" to workon it. I slouch often. I do many stretches in the back and neck area while in the hot shower and all day long really due to this.
    I need suggestions on how to improve my posture I guess. More then how to work out the kinks. LOL

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    close to winston salem,NC
    Posts
    8,813
    I've had a bad back for yrs and best thnig I've found for knots in that area is laying chest down on weight bench and pulling up weights slowly from floor, that will stretch the muscles out more than you'd think.
    PSE Bruin RF here & bunch of Bears
    Crackers Bowstrings get Crackerized The best custom bowstrings anywhere

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    AZ high country
    Posts
    560
    Quote Originally Posted by VTbowman View Post
    Yes I have not so good posture. I realized it a long while ago and "try" to workon it. I slouch often. I do many stretches in the back and neck area while in the hot shower and all day long really due to this.
    I need suggestions on how to improve my posture I guess. More then how to work out the kinks. LOL
    In general, to correct this you DO NOT STRETCH THE BACK MUSCLES. You need to stretch the front muscles like the chest and front shoulders and suboccipital muscles. You need to STRENGTHEN the back muscles including the upper, middle and lower trapezius, lattisimus dorsi, posterior delts and low back muscles. Bad posture = weakened, stretched out back muscles and tight front chest and shoulder muscles.
    2007 Mossy Oak Obsession Guardian 61# 27.5 DL Easton ST Carbon Excel 400's - TruGlo trusight extreme - Alpine soft loc -WB QS Rest Sold
    <>< 3:16

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven1911 View Post
    In general, to correct this you DO NOT STRETCH THE BACK MUSCLES. You need to stretch the front muscles like the chest and front shoulders and suboccipital muscles. You need to STRENGTHEN the back muscles including the upper, middle and lower trapezius, lattisimus dorsi, posterior delts and low back muscles. Bad posture = weakened, stretched out back muscles and tight front chest and shoulder muscles.
    This has been exactly my problem for years! I went to a physical therapist because of an auto accident and got my posture worked on also.

    Stretching out the chest has really helped a lot. If you have trouble finding the 1/2 round foam roll to lay on, try a swiss/exercise ball.

    Also, to hit the trigger points, get a tennis ball and thread a string through it. Use the string to hold it behind you and lean into it against a wall. The ball is soft enough not to damage you or the wall but firm enough to hit the triggers.

    You could also try alternating heat/cold if you have a flare-up.

    And get massage as well as chiropractic care!!!!!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    AZ high country
    Posts
    560
    Quote Originally Posted by De-Gurl View Post
    This has been exactly my problem for years! I went to a physical therapist because of an auto accident and got my posture worked on also.

    Stretching out the chest has really helped a lot. If you have trouble finding the 1/2 round foam roll to lay on, try a swiss/exercise ball.

    Also, to hit the trigger points, get a tennis ball and thread a string through it. Use the string to hold it behind you and lean into it against a wall. The ball is soft enough not to damage you or the wall but firm enough to hit the triggers.

    You could also try alternating heat/cold if you have a flare-up.

    And get massage as well as chiropractic care!!!!!
    Excellent advice!!
    2007 Mossy Oak Obsession Guardian 61# 27.5 DL Easton ST Carbon Excel 400's - TruGlo trusight extreme - Alpine soft loc -WB QS Rest Sold
    <>< 3:16

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Northern New Hampshire
    Posts
    2,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    I would certianly consider a massage therapist once a week or as needed to work the knots and get the blood flowing. You can find them in my town for $30.00 hour, my wofe goes to one weeekly. Chriropator can help as well.

    If you had a place to swim it really works the back. Strechs those back muscle when there tight.


    Get one of those large rubber balls and there several excercisies you can do with them to relief stress and pain in the back muscles. Looks like Im going to have to buy one of them myself.
    DB
    I'll defineately second the massage therapist idea. I once got a wicked knot on the left side of my neck due to a bowscale incident. It wasn't terrible at first and I thought it would just go away after a while. "After a while" turned into more than a year of progressive agony. I went to the doctors who couldn't help because they couldnt see a problem in my X rays. I went to the chiropracter for several visits .... (what a f'n joke that was. Chiropracters are quacks plain and simple. I can't beleive some health insurances actually pay for this.) Finally, my wife suggested and made the appointment for me to go to a massage therapist. I wan't too keen on the idea. I just figured it was gonna be another waste of time and money.

    I went to the first visit for a deep tissue massage and from there made appointments for the next 4 weeks there after. At first it hurt like hell but by the last appointment I was a new man. Before the massage therapy I was a mess. I couldn't turn my head to the left at all. I was in constant agonizing pain. I couldn't sleep well for more than 6 months. All this went away after just a few visits. Now I go once a month for maintenance massages.

    The therapist explained to me that once a muscle hangs up , it stays hung up and just gets tighter and tighter and eventually starts involving other muscles and eventually you develop poor posture and loss of movement. So, don't do what I did and think it will just go away. Go get a deep tissue massage. IT WORKS !!!
    Elite Energy 35____Strings by DCS Archery___Hoyt Contender XT3000 SpiralX
    Axcel Armortec HS ________________Tru-Ball Axcel 3000 -35mm Black Eagle
    S/A Super Ball Peep______________________S/A Super Peep w/ #1 clarifier
    AAE Pro Drop__________________________ ________________AAE Pro Drop
    Stokerized 10" Hunter APS___________________Easton X7 30"main - 10"side

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The gym when not on the archery range.
    Posts
    42
    Most of my knots are directly related from shooting and have nothing to do with weight lifting what so ever. Especially if they're in the middle part of the upper back. All you need is a good hard rub down every once in awhile to keep them loose and always be sure to stretch and they disappear.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Rack Tracker View Post
    My wife suffers from tthose trigger points as well. I believe Stress and posture are the major contributors. I will have to purchase that book you mentioned.
    How can I say this without anyone reading into it? No way i guess-you could take turns massaging each other and that will help as well as save some $$$$. It helps if you get a book/video on massage technique so you understand proper ways.

    My problem is I'm way better at it than my husband...so I end up going out for a massage. His are at home and free so maybe it evens out. I get the pricier myofascial release and deep tissue.

Similar Threads

  1. Torn muscles in shoulder and upper arm
    By Noobist in forum Health & Fitness
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: September 26th, 2009, 08:50 PM
  2. B.E.S.T. How do you get draw arm shoulder blade down & under bow arm shoulder blade?
    By jdolan in forum F.I.T.A, N.A.A., Collegiate Archery, And J.O.A.D.
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: February 5th, 2007, 03:45 AM
  3. Back / Shoulder Blade Injury
    By ol'okie in forum General Archery Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: July 13th, 2005, 12:05 PM
  4. Upper Shoulder Pain
    By UltraShooter in forum General Archery Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: June 12th, 2004, 04:24 PM
  5. shoulder knots?!
    By p8ntballnryan in forum General Archery Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 29th, 2004, 07:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •