Thread: Crossbow Legality (Non Hunting)

Crossbow Legality (Non Hunting)

I was hoping for some clarification on crossbow laws, if any. I live in Hawaii and I know that to hunt with an X bow you must meet the disabled criteria and have a permit (or hunt on private property). What about range shooting or backyard shooting? Could I fire an Xbow at a public archery range? Are there laws preventing this?

Looked around google for some state specific answers, but only found the hunting laws. I'm assuming I could go down to the park and use their free range, but dont want to find out im breaking some law.

Thanks for any help!

I have sent a PM to hawaiisportsman who should be able to authoritatively answer you question.

My advice otherwise is to contact the archery range and/or local and state government directly. There are great and knowledgeable folks here but I'm not sure I would trust legal interpretation to an open forum.

:-)

T T T
    MOON

Super Short Recurve Xbows- The Future of Recurve Hunting Xbows

STRYKER 350- LS 390 COMPOUND XBOWS - YOU CAN SPEND MORE BUT.......

You mention a parks shooting range...
    They will be the only ones to ask about shooting there. They will have their own rules to abide by. No one else can answer that for them.

As for your own yard, your local police will be able to answer that part of your question. Different agencies may have different rules about bow or crossbow shooting out doors. One city may allow it while another may not.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by JustBowMe View Post
    I was hoping for some clarification on crossbow laws, if any. I live in Hawaii and I know that to hunt with an X bow you must meet the disabled criteria and have a permit (or hunt on private property). What about range shooting or backyard shooting? Could I fire an Xbow at a public archery range? Are there laws preventing this?

Looked around google for some state specific answers, but only found the hunting laws. I'm assuming I could go down to the park and use their free range, but dont want to find out im breaking some law.

Thanks for any help!

Crossbows are not legal on public land (without disabled permit) but... you can use them on private land. Not sure how the guys/gals would react to you trying to shoot one at the archery range. I heard it was either not legal or frowned upon. Get a cabelas brand broadhead target (they're on sale 39.00) and shoot in your backyard (make sure you have a brick wall behind you.) Or practice at your hunting spot!

let me know if there is any other questions. Aloha Eric

Nowadays laws and ordinances pertaining to weapons ownership and usage should be posted on the websites of most U.S. cities and states. They are for my city and state.

Okay thanks so much for the replys! Much appreciated.