Thread: Mathews Switchback XT vs. Drenalin

Thumbs down Mathews Switchback XT vs. Drenalin

First time user to this site and I'm hoping I can get some input from others. After researching several manufacturers and shooting dozens of nice bows, I have decided to purchase a Mathews. I am trying to decide between the Switchback XT or the new Drenalin. Close as I can tell, the two bows are very similar in features as well as price. Does anyone have any first hand experience with either model that they wouldn't mind sharing? Also, how about accessories that work well?

I like my Drenalin better than my XT. But both are good bows.

I like the Mathews HD drop away rest, a Viper sight, and a Bohning Lynx 4 arrow quiver.

A simms stabilizer.
    Robbys Sales ... Great prices on Mathews, Elite, and Bowtech ... Mt. Airy, NC (336) 786-8017
    Vapor Trail Archery
    Elite GT-500 Next G1 Elite Energy 35 Black Elite Pure Cosmic Orange

Drenalin is a good bit faster (at least 10 fps if set up properly), and when set up with stabilizer and all it's just as quiet and shock free as the XT. As for smoothness, the Drenalin isn't as smooth as the XY for the first couple of inches because the limbs are pre-loaded more than on the XT to acheive more speed, but after the first couple of inches it has a very nice rollover, no hump, and as smooth as butter.

If I had to choose between the two, it would be the Drenalin hands down

As for the accessories I have on my Drenalin:

Extreme RT900 in AP Camo
    Mathews 1 pc. Arrow Web in AP Camo
    Schaffer MAT-1 Drop Away Rest in AP Camo
    Stealth Archery Stabilizer in AP Camo
    ****** CSS in AP Camo
    Last edited by PABowhunt4life; June 8th, 2007 at 05:04 PM.

I own an XT and have shot the drenalin. I am considering getting rid of the xt and buying either a drenalin or 07 allegiance. My opinion is the xt is smoother than the drenalin but if you add the limb savers and a css it would probably even out. I really like the wieght of the dren. and the ally. I dont think you can go wrong on either bow. As far as acsessories go I have a copper john sight and drop zone rest and they work very well, Good luck
    Mathews z7
    Black Gold Acsent
    Qad Hdx
    Proline Bowstrings

Try em both, I hated the XT loved the Drenalin.

I shot them both alot and bought the XT, Drenalin had too much shock and harsher draw cycle. I am shooting 70#@29" w/420 gr arrow @ 285fps.

Quote Originally Posted by BukWild View Post
    I shot them both alot and bought the XT, Drenalin had too much shock and harsher draw cycle. I am shooting 70#@29" w/420 gr arrow @ 285fps.
    You just have the fastest XT on the planet lol

i shot them both and walked out with the XT it shot better for me

Shoot and decide.

I have not shot the Drenline yet, but I do not have any desire becasue I am so impressed with the XT. I have been shooting the XT fro nearly a year, and I have yet to shoot a bow as smooth as the XT. Try em both and decide for your self. Good luck, and have fun.
    Mathews Switchback XT and Darton Vapor 70# @ 28"Wisker Biscuit Rest, Sims stab.
    Viper Sights, Gold Tip arrows, NAP Spitfires/ Slick Tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by BukWild View Post
    I find it hard to believe you could notice any vibration difference between the two, as for harsher draw cycle, the Drenalin is right there from the start of the draw but it leaves the XT in the dust and we all know theres no such thing as a free lunch. But harsh in no way describes the draw on it.

I have both, and the XT to me is just a hair better than my Dren. although I'm still getting use to the Dren., and I'm just deadly with the XT

Drenalin

Is more accurate hands down. You dont see pros shooting the XT in major tournaments.

Go with the Drenalin
    DB
    Archery is an addiction is for me. Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker Rest, Vapor Trail strings, OK-Archery DST 40, Eilte Z28 Bow, Carter/Scott releases, CBE sights, Goldtip arrows, B Stingers Stabilizers, Lancasters Archery, Slick Tricks, Vanetec Vanes, Elite Pulse

I have shot both and bought the XT.I used mine in 3 ASA events and it preformed well. As fore accesories I use a blade style rest and Sure-lock sights With a 12 inch bar and it is a nail driver.

My female pro shooting partner

Made the shootdown with her Drenalin in ASA Pro am. Bow a shooter no doubt.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Daniel Boone; July 3rd, 2007 at 12:59 PM.
    Archery is an addiction is for me. Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker Rest, Vapor Trail strings, OK-Archery DST 40, Eilte Z28 Bow, Carter/Scott releases, CBE sights, Goldtip arrows, B Stingers Stabilizers, Lancasters Archery, Slick Tricks, Vanetec Vanes, Elite Pulse

I went with the xt. I shot it better, and was impressed with the smoothness of the draw.

Eddie Ray

Took second in semi pro class shooting a Drenalin. Drenalin so darn accurate and just a fun bow to shoot. Untell you take it out and shot a few groups you wont understand how good this bow holds and shoots.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is another idea. Buy the regular SB. It is faster then the XT and I have shot tons of bows this year (including the Dren) trying to find something better. It is Mathews best bow I believe. I have not found a bow with less handshock. I have a friend with the Dren. He has all the dampeners on it including the STS. Still more shock.

They are both fine bows. I picked the Dren because it felt better to me. The XT may be a better fit for you. Either way you'll have a fast, smooth shooting bow.

Both are great bows, but I would pick the Drenalin. A little faster, lighter, both draw nice but I also like the little longer ATA of the Drenalin as the string angle to me is a little more comfortable. I'm used to the Switchback and maybe that helps influence my choice.

I liked the XT over the Drenalin.

I am a bow hunter, I don't shoot any tournaments and I feel the XT is a better all around treestand bow than the Drenalin. The Drenalin would make one hell of a spot and stalk bow, but after shooting the two, the XT had less vibration and hand shock and it was quieter. It is also shorter than the Drenalin which makes it more manuverable. The draw cycle is smoother that the Drenalin as well.

This is the opinion of a hunter not a tournament archer, so the speed differences didn't matter to me in my decision. Quiet and smooth are more important to me than speed.

Just my $.02

Quote Originally Posted by Nacho2770 View Post
    I liked the XT over the Drenalin.

I am a bow hunter, I don't shoot any tournaments and I feel the XT is a better all around treestand bow than the Drenalin. The Drenalin would make one hell of a spot and stalk bow, but after shooting the two, the XT had less vibration and hand shock and it was quieter. It is also shorter than the Drenalin which makes it more manuverable. The draw cycle is smoother that the Drenalin as well.

This is the opinion of a hunter not a tournament archer, so the speed differences didn't matter to me in my decision. Quiet and smooth are more important to me than speed.

Just my $.02
    I agree....
    JBK BOWSTRINGS With the 24 Month Guarantee on All sets of strings!
    www.jbkstrings.com

2014-2015 Team #24 - Team Center Punch