Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drop away arrow rests...Do they work?

Drop away arrow rests...Do they work?

All of the time? And how do you know?

I have discovered a problem I wasn't aware of. Call me ignorant...or uninformed, but I don't think I am alone.

I bought some FOB's from Starrflight. A great company and Paul is a a great guy. This is not a knock on FOB's at all!

After a lot of messing around with these yesterday...using 3 different rests and lots of hours...I have almost given up. The only reason I don't is...I am convinced that if I am getting contact with the FOB's periodically then I am with fletching too. If I get contact with fletching (even once in a while) it will be an errant shot. It is not the FOB's fault at all. They just exaggerate the problem.

I think the problem with fletching contact is a lot bigger than people think. People assume there can be none because they are shooting a drop away rest.

I am going to try the Trophy Taker next and if that doesn't work the next stop will be the Doty Expert.

Just to emphasize on the periodic fletching contact...I was getting perfect flight with the QAD until it malfunctioned and for whatever reason did not drop away...It broke the plastic rest arm. If I was using fletching I would not have even known there was contact. I would have missed what I was aiming at and I would have blamed myself.

I think this has been a great learning experience for me. All of those shots that felt sooo good when I released them and were bad shots...was there fletching contact??...did the rest not drop away??...did it bounce back up after hitting the shelf??...

Since the advent of drop away rests...has anyone really asked these questions? Does the average archer feel like they are fool proof?

I had no idea all of the problems they can have until now!

Maybe I am the only one who thinks this is a big deal...I dunno.

Tom

What rests have you bought and what bow are you shooting Tom?

Nothing is foolproof. Some fool is always going to mess something up!

Dropaways need to be set up properly, just like any other rest. When they are set up they work great. If not.....well.....

Quote Originally Posted by Watersnake View Post
    What rests have you bought and what bow are you shooting Tom?
    Whammy
    QAD Pro
    Freefall

I am shooting a Commander.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by T-LaBee View Post
    Whammy
    QAD Pro
    Freefall

I am shooting a Commander.

Tom
    Whammy is very critical with the FOBs and has to be set up just right

QAD usually needs the spring tension tightened

Dont know much about the freefall.

I have shot custom made dropaways, Trophy Takers, trap doors, Dropzone's, and Limbdriver and all have worked great. I like the limbdriver the best out of all of them.

PM me if yo have any other question

Quote Originally Posted by XP35 View Post
    Nothing is foolproof. Some fool is always going to mess something up!

Dropaways need to be set up properly, just like any other rest. When they are set up they work great. If not.....well.....
    This is where we differ. I think that even when set up perfectly some of the more expensive ones will not work everytime without fail. Out of the three rests I used (over $300 dollars worth of rests) the QAD seemed to be flawless...until it wasn't...then it was in pieces!!!

Tom

I shoot a trophy taker out of my Hoyt ultratec and get absolutely ZERO contact on my Fletch's.

Quote Originally Posted by Westside View Post
    I shoot a trophy taker out of my Hoyt ultratec and get absolutely ZERO contact on my Fletch's.
    Understand...I am not doubting you...but how do you know?

Tom

My QAD works about 99% of the time.

When it fails, I can tell by the sound. But it is very hard to correct a problem that doesn't happen every time.

First I used lip stick on the rest and have white fletches no transfer.

Then I put black felt on it that transfers ea sly to the white vanes so if it happens once I see it and can fix it. the only time I have problems is if I jerk a shot or I use really really bad form. The Trophy taker is the Original not the shakey hunter or the proghorn, they bath have more issues.

Quote Originally Posted by JD45 View Post
    My QAD works about 99% of the time.

When it fails, I can tell by the sound. But it is very hard to correct a problem that doesn't happen every time.
    This is what I am talking about. How many people would admit that their rest fails even 1 out of a 100? And why would we or should we accept that in a $120. rest?

My reason for this thread is... Do we really know how often drop aways fail? And why should we accept it as OK?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Westside View Post
    First I used lip stick on the rest and have white fletches no transfer.

Then I put black felt on it that transfers ea sly to the white vanes so if it happens once I see it and can fix it. the only time I have problems is if I jerk a shot or I use really really bad form. The Trophy taker is the Original not the shakey hunter or the proghorn, they bath have more issues.
    I have always been a fan of TT. I have used foot powder spray on the rest itself and you can see the contact when there is...

QAD failure!

When the QAD works, it is awesome. The first one I had on my Guardian lasted about 2 months. Shot nearly every day, thousands of arrows, no problem, then one day it quit working. Sent it back, excellent customer service, got a new one in a few days. Set it up, worked great for about two months and then quit. I sent this one back too. Got a new replacement in a couple of days. Put that sucker on E-bay, bought a LimbDriver and have not looked back!

No they don't always work. Especially in cold damp weather. That is why I wouldn't hunt with them. I perfect conditions most usually do fair but the least little thing can cause them to not completely clear. Most people don't even know it and just think they made a bad shot when an arrow hits off a little.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyjz View Post
    When the QAD works, it is awesome. The first one I had on my Guardian lasted about 2 months. Shot nearly every day, thousands of arrows, no problem, then one day it quit working. Sent it back, excellent customer service, got a new one in a few days. Set it up, worked great for about two months and then quit. I sent this one back too. Got a new replacement in a couple of days. Put that sucker on E-bay, bought a LimbDriver and have not looked back!
    You should see what is left of my launcher. The sad fact is I switched from a limb driver to the QAD.

Quote Originally Posted by zyxw View Post
    No they don't always work. Especially in cold damp weather. That is why I wouldn't hunt with them. I perfect conditions most usually do fair but the least little thing can cause them to not completely clear. Most people don't even know it and just think they made a bad shot when an arrow hits off a little.
    I think this is very true.

Quote Originally Posted by T-LaBee View Post
    This is what I am talking about. How many people would admit that their rest fails even 1 out of a 100? And why would we or should we accept that in a $120. rest?

My reason for this thread is... Do we really know how often drop aways fail? And why should we accept it as OK?

Tom
    If you pay attention to your equipment you can tell. If vanes or fletchings of any kind hit they will leave marks on the parts they are hitting. If vanes are hitting you can see the marks on the vanes also but only if ya take the time to look. If you see your arrows not flying right look very carefully for the marks and chances are you will find them. Then you know you need some fine tuning to get the clearance again. So for me I pay attention to what the arrow is doing and if I see it ain't doing as good as it was then I look for reasons why. marks on the equipment usually gives it away.

Things aren't perfect and sometimes you have to keep up with the track so to speak.

I think in hindsight I have lived with "some" contact for a long time. I have had the least contact with a Trophy Taker. I think that the later the rest drops the fussier they are and the more likely the contact.

Tom

Tom, I have setup, used personally, and sold the following.
    1. QAD
    2. Trophy Taker
    3. Drop Zone
    4. Rip Cord
    5. Free Fall
    6. Limb Driver
    I really think the Limb Driver is the most fool proof Drop away I have tried.

It's like a guy told me once, You can buy what rest you want from me or I'll sell you a Limb Driver
    Maker of the MeanV Maximum String Suppressor

I have to agree with MeanV...The limbdriver is fool proof..only way it can fail is if your cord breaks or your limbs break. I have over 200 shots in mine since Thurs and it is flawless!

Quote Originally Posted by ****** View Post
    Tom, I have setup, used personally, and sold the following.
    1. QAD
    2. Trophy Taker
    3. Drop Zone
    4. Rip Cord
    5. Free Fall
    6. Limb Driver
    I really think the Limb Driver is the most fool proof Drop away I have tried.

It's like a guy told me once, You can buy what rest you want from me or I'll sell you a Limb Driver
    Dan,
    I think you are right that the Limb Driver is one one the best out there. I have gone back to the rest that I have had on my bow more than any other. Trophy Taker. The 2 reasons I ever went away from it was that it was noisy and I wanted the arrow to be supported longer before the rest dropped away. I have fixed the noisy problem with some neoprene on the shelf. (It works better than rubber or moleskin) and I will give up some of the addition support for absolutely no contact.

I have used all of the ones you mentioned (and many more) except the Drop Zone. That was on the list as well as the Doty Expert II.

Tom

I adhered some neoprene to the back of my Trophy Taker blade to silence it. Very neat, attractive and functional. No nothing on the shelf of my target bow to make it ugly.

Be realistic...it depends on how much rest clearance you need and how you have setup your rest.

FOB's are like any other fletch...except they can't be indexed...if the rest will not provide enough clearance, you will get a vane strike.

If you talk with Paul he can set you straight on which FOB size you need. As for other fletch, you must figure your setup and maximum clearance that it can support...sometimes the problem can be solved by cock vane up, or cock vane down, or if riser clearance is a problem, cock vane out.

Determining if a fall away has a vane strike issue is no different than determining if any other style rest has a vane strike issue...invest in some foot powder. JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by XP35 View Post
    I adhered some neoprene to the back of my Trophy Taker blade to silence it. Very neat, attractive and functional. No nothing on the shelf of my target bow to make it ugly.
    I am shooting a Commander after all...Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

You can try lipstick on the launcher of your dropaway and this is the easiest way to see if you are getting contact on vane ,fob etc.Bright red works best.Second set the Trophy Taker up so the arrow is at the almost the top of the berger hole and this will give it more time to get out of the way,or take it apart and put in internal spring in the other hole for more drop tension.The timing is is important,I set the rest up first and then put timing marks on the arrow and keep drawing back until it is timed in about the last 2 inches of my draw cycle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast